Comparing lenses on DXOMark

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by stripedrex, Jun 12, 2012.

1. stripedrex

stripedrex Do or do not. There is no try.

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    So I'm about to venture into the world of M43 by setting my sights on a sub $400 GF3 with the controvertial 14-42 G X pancake. Reason for this is I currently own a Nikon DX camera (D5000) + Canon camcorder and typically HATE bringing both around. The D5000 is terrible at video and Canon is terrible at photo and it seems the M43s are good at both. I've been told the best camera is the one that comes with you. On that philosophy going on the smallest interchangeable lens body I can get.

Anyhow I've recently come to a conclusion perhaps I should keep the D5000 for better lenses. DXOMark however is telling me otherwise! If you go to DXOMark and go to Lens ratings then filter by M4/3 and sort by score. You'll see the highest DXOMark for the system is the Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 which gets 20. The highest Nikon for the DX system (APS-C sensor system) is interestingly enough a comparable Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G which gets a 19. Comparable to me because they're both 50mm equivalents which I plan to have a lens for. Then I did a side by side of lenses of varying sizes and it seems the premium M4/3s are in a lot of cases BETTER than any of the DX counters. Am I the only one to see this and conclude there's no reason for me to keep my Nikon? I was going to keep the Nikon for indoor home use and special occasions and maybe switch the body to a D5100. Should I just toss it and get more lenses for M43? In the future maybe get a full frame sensor ESPECIALLY if they go mirrorless and cheaper?

In short am I comparing apples to apples by looking at the DXOMark and their various measurements? Is my conclusion correct the M43 lenses perform better than the DX Nikons?

Here's the Panasonic 25mm:
    DxOMark - Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4

Nikon DX system 35mm:
    DxOMark - Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G

Whats awesome is the Panasonic isn't too far off from a full sensor TRUE 50mm (resolution score is the SAME?!):
    DxOMark - Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM

• Like Like x 1
  2. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    In my opinion (so take it for what it's worth), scores and charts and things are impressive on paper, but often not make as much of a difference in real life as I once may have thought. Sometimes something is scored lower based on various aspects that are correctable in post processing (vignetting, CA, etc.) and scored higher on something more important to me, like sharpness...but the average ends up lower than another lens where the opposite is true. Also, things like autofocus, size, weight, construction, etc. don't have measured values in most testings, which can be very important in practical use.

Aside from that, some lenses have a different "personality"...according to lenstip.com, I believe the pana 20mm scored higher than the pl25 in sharpness, but in practical use, the 25 had moor "oomph" (totally subjective, I realize).

So personally, I take test scores with a grain of salt. It's nice to know figures, but until I use a lens, I won't have any solid opinion on it.

As far as which opinion you should go with, stay with Nikon or move to m43, I can't really comment (not having worked with your current system). I can say that there are terrific services that rent equipment by the day that could save you thousands of $$$ in the long run. That would be my best advice.

• Like Like x 1
  3. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    After having worried about this kind of thing for waaaay too long, and I'm a pretty technically-mind person, I started thinking about photography, rather than its tools, and came to the conclusion:

It's the driver, not the car.

4. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Thank you guys for the feedback. While I agree that composition, technique, experience and natural ability is more important than the equipment. I don't agree based on the photographer you'll get the same results with different cameras. In other words I agree the driver should continually learn technique but disagree the car matters =p. I easily noticed this going from a point and shoot when I went to my first DSLR. I've also learned it's better to invest in lenses than it is on body. On that maybe I should sell off my Nikon D5000, flash and the 1 lens I have (Nikkor VR 18-200) and get the GF3 with a few lenses.

Also, based on what I've seen in lens photo galleries across different sites I do agree lenses have different 'personalities'. However the DXOMark indicates to me things like low light performance and how 'crisp' the details will be (at least I think it will) based on the lenses they review and I can parallel those scores based on even the sample images I see here. The resolution score of the P25mm is high and the images on the galleries here have a sharp 3d effect in them. I was assuming to see better results in sample galleries for the Nikon's 35mm champion only to find they're really very similar in quality and even personality and I found it cool the DXOMark review of both came to similar conclusions. Maybe someone with a Nikon DX system camera with multiple lenses and M43 with similar lenses can chime in?

5. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    m4/3 system's strongest point is its glass. The m4/3 complete lens setup goes from very good to superb, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    I had, until recently, a D7000 with Sigma 10-20, Nikkor 18-200, 35 DX, and 50 1.8D. The 50 was way sharpest, with the 35 close behind. I loved the 10-20, I'm definitely a wide-angle type.

I have had an X100 for some time, which convinced me to 'go light', and the OM-D E-M5 is the logical extension (the X-Pro1 is too expensive for me).

Since I like wide, I bought the Oly 9-18, and since I like primes I got the Panasonic 20, the Sigma 30 and the Oly 45. For long I have the Oly 40-150.

For me (YMMV), the 45 is a revelation. Beautiful files, lovely bokeh, silky handling. The 30 is close to the nikkor 50, the Panasonic 20 looks very nice (though I haven't had much time with it yet).

All in all, I doubt you will see any disadvantage in m43 lenses to DX: on the contrary, it's a step up.

Note that DX still doesn't have a wide prime: whereas the Oly 12mm gets superb reviews.

• Like Like x 1
  7. stripedrex

Jun 8, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    Alex
    Thank you guys! BigTam, I was looking for someone like you to reply thanks for taking the time! You and the link below confirms my research and justifies the sale of my Nikon gear. Continued searches of people with similar questions to mine seem to outcome the same thing =). Best comparison I've seen from M43 to even full frame is this one if anyone stumbles upon this post:

Crazy Comparison! The Olympus OM-D E-M5 vs Nikon D800 vs Leica X2 for High ISO | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

Selling off my nikon stuff + camcorder I'm considering 2 bodies! GF3 with pancake zoom to bring EVERYWHERE and O-MD for video and moments I want perfection in my shots. And it seems the P25 and O45 lenses are musts for me and capturing my 2 1/2 year old as he grows up!

Thanks again everyone hopefully someone else finds this post useful. Before I sell off my Nikon stuff I'm going to take some compare shots! To the point I was thinking of renting the nikon lens I linked up top and purchase compare to the P25 (so a 50mm equivalent comparison on Nikon D5000 and GF3). I'll post it up if I manage to find time, which is the problem I don't have much of it to spare for this kind of stuff =p.

8. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    Well the Panasonic 14-42/17mm Olympus are pretty much crap...at best ok, but otherwise...the lenses are why I'm back from purgatory (Sony NEX).

9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Not sure why you call the 17mm "crap" - the test scores may not be great but if you check out the photo thread here it performs surprisingly well in real world usage. Not as well as the 20mm of course, but hardly "crap". :biggrin:

10. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    On the other hand m43 lenses considered "the worst" are still better than most other inexpensive lenses. I think we're spoiled by the generally high quality of the lenses.

On the 17/2.8. I've seen charts and graphs that suggest it's not so good, but the images I've seen are sharp with a unique and pleasing "look".

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  11. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    It's very possible to get good shots from the 14-42mm also, but it doesn't mean it's a good lens. For the NEX system the 16mm is kinda in the same spot vis a vis the 17mm Oly. I'm just not a fan of the 17mm, though i do like the focal length. For the same money the 14mm is way better and the 20mm also (obviously more expensive) along with being faster. I have a 19mm Sigma coming and it will be fun to test it out too.

12. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    What I think is so cool is how my preferences seem to change between my lenses. I love the 20mm... and the 9-18.... and the 40-150mm... and the 45mm and my Oly 14-42 works so well I don't really need to take it off except for the 20, or the 9-18 or the...

13. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Dcassat, same here! I don't have a kit zoom and don't miss it, but sometimes it's difficult to decide which lens works best ...