Comparing full frame to m4/3: DOF question

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by sprinke, Jul 4, 2012.

1. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    So, I have a friend who shoots with a Nikon full-frame camera. She does food photography mostly (has a nice blog) and typically uses a 24-70mm constant f/2.8 zoom lens for her work.

I know that due to the crop factor that would equate to a 12-35mm lens on :43:, but what would be the equivalent max aperture? Is it also halved, so would be f/1.4?

Or to turn it around somewhat, the new Panny 12-35mm f/2.8 zoom would be like using a 24-70mm f/5.6 lens on a full-frame camera?

Please correct me if this is wrong, and let me know how to figure out the math, or point me to a tool I can use to do it.

Thanks!

2. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    Yes, two stops down.

Correct. But all that is somewhat misleading. For example, there is not always a need for such shallow DOF. Also a FF lens may not exhibit appropriate sharpness for the application at hand, at its widest aperture.

3. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    It'd be like using a 12-35mm f/2.8 lens on a "full frame" camera, and cropping a 4/3 sensor sized area out of the middle of the 36mm X 24mm sensor.

Use this tool to calculate your effective depth of field (Online Depth of Field Calculator), or the area that will appear to be in focus.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.