1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Comparing 3 Cameras and The Results

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by StudioHeraBell, Aug 1, 2011.

1. My Photo Ramblings: Comparing Photography Of Lumix GH2, Canon 7D and Samsung Galaxy SII Smart Phone

I compared 3 cameras on one yummy subject. They are only fast snap shots.

Canon 7D... Lumix GH2... and Samsung Galaxy SII smart phone.

You might think comparing apples with oranges will give you only silly results, think again. See the "as shot" then "edites shots".

When a new kid on the block smartphone offers 8 meg size image files (opened up trhey become 22.9 meg images), I say watch out for its compeition, even with some DSLR's. Ipad 4 is 5 meg. Yes tApple is coming up with an 8 meg photo capacity phone with their next model. But it is not here yet.

My Photo Ramblings: Photography With Samsung Galaxy II Smart Phone

Canada is the only North American country that has it. In Europe it hit the market in Spring 2011.

Cheers,

Hera

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I went and opened Firefox, since your blog wasn't loading on Opera.

With tiny pictures on websites I guess everything's good.
    Here are your cakes.

Now to my eyes they all look as if they're low-res pictures which have been enlarged .. I mean really low-res.
    The 7D picture looks the least degraded.

3. I do not upload large images to my Blog. Eveything in my Blog gets listed in Google image search. It is hosted by Google.

The Samsung Galaxy SII creates 22.9 meg jpg files. In other words 8 meg camera. GH2 is a 16 meg camera. Canon 7D is 18 meg camera.

Just to answer the quality issues of the image. What you see on the blog are very reduced sizes. Thanks for visiting.

Cheers,

Hera

4. I will add a detail crop of one of the cupcakes from a 22.9 meg jpg image file. No other editing was done to it. From Samsung Galaxy SII smart phone.

2011-07-31_11_45.

5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    a 22.9 Meg JPEG from an 8 megapixel camera?????......something doesn't add up there.

K

6. The images that are coming from it are 2448pixel x 3264 pixel. Samsung claims it as an 8 meg camera.

7. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Your cupcake detail is really good, is it a crop from the same picture as the three cakes? It looks very different, and not just the colours.

2448 x 3264 pixels doesn't make 22 megapixels ... or am I missing some multi-dimensional maths?

8. Yes it is. A crop. The same shot, un-edited. Meaning please refere to the un-edited shot at the Blog.

I open them in PS, they show as 8"x10" at 300 dpi jpg images. I am no math or tech guru.

9. Another image, shot by zooming in with the device. As shot, just the size was reduced to upload to the site. There was a dark brown tent over their head. I shot is across the table. Shot with Samsung Galaxy SII smart phone.

[​IMG]

10. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Must be a RAW file! Haha

11. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    So long as you want infinite depth of field, there are a number of small sensor cameras and phones with plenty of IQ for 99% of uses

12. Yes Iphone 4 has 5 meg camera. They are planing an 8 meg camera for their next model.

13. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    An 8 megapixel image will open in Photoshop as 24 MByte. 8 MByte for each color channel.

Fred

• Like Like x 1
  14. yes a 24 MByte image it translates to an 8"x12" at 300 dpi. This smart phone is shooting as 8"x10 at 300 dpi. Thanks for clarifying things Fred.

I haven't discovered it yet fully. The camera part alone has tones of features.

15. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    You've provided 3 low resolution files of each camera .. but only 1 full res crop and only from the camera phone???? What gives? Find it very odd that all the talk is of the camera phone .. and very little about how the files at full res compare against all three..

16. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    However your converting your files for forum display is greatly adversing the quality of them (from what we can tell from the crop being better then the full size image). The shot of the kids is probably much better full res but from what was posted, I dont see anything to be impressed with regarding the camera phone. Lots of noise, poor dr, out of focus etc. No offense but my old Canon 3mp P&S would produce better quality pics.

Smaller sensor cameras have come a very long way (including the iPhone 4 camera which is very nice) for ideal shooting conditions. Try using them indoor in poor lighting, nightime photography or pictures larger then 16x20 and you will starting seeing the difference.

What I have found lately is that 99% of people think the quality coming from P&S and Camera phone is good enough since soooooo few people develop photos anymore that they are fine for sending via email and posting on Facebook etc. Theyve grown up either 100% digital or some of the older film people have gotten use to digital noise they no longer really care or realize investing in better equipment can make their photos so much better. Canon, Nikon etc. are to blame for pushing up Megapixels on small sensor cameras as a marketing tool vs. low noise outputs (think Fugi F30-F31 cameras or the Canon S95). Theres too much crap in the low end market that doesnt need to be that way (pretty sure my Canon A70 back was better then most today).

17. LovinTheEP2

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Sorry, camera phone is shooting at 8x10 at 300dpi.. huh :confused:

Normally you set the quality of images as either Large, Medium, Small and some may have the option of Fine etc on Camera phones. You might have also an option of format ie 16x9, 4x3 etc.

The 300dpi is a photoshop thing for establising your output parameters (web, 300dpi normal printing, 600dpi or 1200dpi depending on the output printer-paper combination..

Maybe the samsung phone is different.. dont quite understand why it would be though.

18. Since you asked here we go. The 2 other brand's close crop cut, from un-edited jpg version.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. I think at extreem zoom function, it isn't very sharp which was the case with the kid shot. That's what you see. I agree.

20. Ulfric M Douglas

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    As a picture I prefer the oversharpened crop detail from the Samsung.
    I assume the other two cameras can be set to make the same result by upping sharpening and contrast to high levels.
    :thumbup: Great example by the way, thanks for posting the new pictures here in the forum instead of only linking a blog.

:cool:
    Please don't mention the 22meg thing again, what Adobe Photoshop do with their files for editing is their business and has no bearing on the camera's megapixel capture figures. I'm sure your Canon 7D's RAW files can become as huge as a massive thing in Adobe's infernal brain.

For that matter your 300dpi 8 inch figure is misleading too as it only has bearing on printed output and is meaningless when referring to digital photos for editing or websites.

• Like Like x 1