Compare UWA and WA lenses for astronomy

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by walter_j, Jun 23, 2016.

1. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    I have the oly 12mm F2, and wonder if there's a way to compare lenses with different FL and apertures for astro shots - esp milky way. The 7-14mm F2.8 can have a slower shutter speed than my 12mm F2, and so may have nicer milky ways shots. The PL 12mm F1.4 should be great for milky way, but I haven't seen any samples. I'm also concerned that the 12mm F1.4 is almost $2000 CDN while the grey market for the 7-14 is 1000 CDN (not incl duty and taxes). The 9.5mm F2.8 Kowa is also interesting. I'm not too interested in a FE, and I'd want to try before buying.
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    Don't forget the Olympus 8mm f/1.8 Pro, which is what I want for astro. If you don't want a fisheye then I would get the 7-14. The longer shutter speed should more then make up for the faster lens, unless you don't plan on mostly using it at 7mm.
  3. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Wait... You want slower shutter speeds?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app
  4. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Regular

Jun 15, 2016
    Isn't that kinda mandatory, that you have to use max 20s exposures, elsewise you end up with Star trails?

So it's
    1)dark place
    2)wide lens
    3)fast lens
    Or a Star tracker. Too bad Olympus can't follow pentax and use ibis for Star trailing. Would be hell of a help to the small Sensor.

Sent from my D5503 using Mu-43 app
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. walter_j

walter_j Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Hagwilget, B.C., Canada
    The star trackers i saw are the price of a nice lens. I think the 7mm may be at 30s before trails become noticeable.

The pl 12mm f1.4 at 20 or 24s compared at 7mm f2.8 at 30s. Id like to try the FE 1.8
  6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

With the Samyang 7.5FE I get no trailing at all even at 100% at 30s exposures across the entire sky. The further the stars are from the celestial pole the more movement you get, so going UWA doesn't necessarily help if you start getting those edge stars in shot.
    • Useful Useful x 2