Compare Contrast Critique

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by TNcasual, Jul 11, 2016.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I shot this homeless man over the weekend. I really like both the images I captured, I can't really say I like one over the other. They are just different.

The first, wider view, was with the Leica Elmarit-R 28 2.8. The narrower shot with the Oly 75mm.

I guess I would like to see what others think, what should be improved, changed - what shouldn't. Just a general critique.

28162293676_87edc41d9f_b.

27580478384_e39896ee63_b.

Unedited version if you would like to see them. Leica 28mm. Oly.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, I like the wider one, although I might be tempted to crop out the flowers at left.

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't think the subject is clearly defined in the first one, partially due to the black and white.

4. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks for the input.

I might look into some different crops.

5. ddekadt

ddekadt Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2013
    Cambridge, MA
    Daniel
    I much prefer the 75mm image as it stands, but I think you could get more out of the wider image with some cropping and different processing. Composition aside (people have commented on that), the b&w processing on the 75mm shot is better. There's a lot more tonal range and depth. Can you lift the shadows a little in the wider shot?

I also wonder if the wider image doesn't need to be straightened slightly? Perhaps one degree to the right. Something about it doesn't sit well with me.

Another compositional idea (having looked at the original): crop away the top part of the photo (all the way down to the bushes behind the subject), and leave more foreground, so that the shot takes the eye from the foreground up to the subject. The shadows and paving stones work very nicely in b&w, less so the trees behind the subject which just add visual confusion, in my opinion.

(would be happy to show you my suggested crop but I can't dl the image from flickr)

6. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Here is the full res version. (Minus Flickr's compression algorithm)

7. ddekadt

ddekadt Mu-43 Regular

Aug 30, 2013
    Cambridge, MA
    Daniel
    Here's my take on it (crop + b&w processing in SilverEfEx and Lightroom): Dropbox - photo-1.jpg

The idea is to let that curve in the paving stones guide the eye from the left of the frame toward the right, and the paving stones themselves to guide the eye from the bottom to the top. The sun catching the leaves is a nice feature, and preserved here, but the higher parts of the trees are less interesting, so eliminated. The flowers on the left serve as a pretty good counter-weight to the subject.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I like the wide. I agree with cropping the flowers/shrubs out on the left. The curve in the sidewalk then looks like an arrow pointing at the subject; the lines in the square patio point at him also. I'd lighten the subject a little, not as much in the 2nd image. And I'd darken the bright leaves just above the man.