Compact tripods with decent height, dolica tx570, mefoto

yaydrums

New to Mu-43
I'm looking for a tripod that can fold down to atleast 15", preferably in the $100 - $150 range.
I would have bought the dolica tx570 already but it's apparently alot more expensive in Canada compared to the US so I'm trying to look around but Google is only getting me so far. Would also like it to stand around 45" or higher. Anyone have any recommendations?

bassman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
The Bassman
I have a Me-Foto Backpacker, which stands 51" fully extended. I use it quite often when carrying my big Gitzo is not practical, and like it. However, I rarely use it fully extended, as any very light, very collapsable tripod gives up a lot in stability. But, the 51" is there if you absolutely need it.

They advertise it on their website for $139.
http://www.mefoto.com/products/backpacker.aspx

flamingfish

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Emily
There's also the Sirui T-005 - similar to the MeFoto backpacker.

mossback

New to Mu-43
I've got the MeFoto Travel Tripod, which has proven to be remarkably sturdy for such a compact and lightweight tripod. It'll hold my G5 with 100-300mm for time exposure with no problem.

Maximum height for the Travel Tripod is 51.2 inches, and it folds down to just 12.6 inches. Weight is just 2.6 pounds. It comes with a nicely made case.

evilmeta

Mu-43 Veteran
Bought the mefoto roadtrip - nice compact sturdy tripod, good ball head. Folds down to 15.3" I think. Was actually still too big for what I wanted, so returned it and got the mefoto backpacker. It's perfect - 12.6" folded, decent ball head, fits inside my backpack.

Agree with the post above that full extension would only be good in still conditions as the final leg tubes are thin...but it has a retractable hook under the centre column to add weight to it if you need some extra bulk.

Recently took it to the Peak District in UK, walked through a gorge which basically acted as a wind tunnel - took a panorama set using the panning function of the ball head, em-5 with 9-18 attached, strong wind (my wife almost fell over), and it was steady as a rock extended up to the last but one lock.

Love it.

evilmeta

Mu-43 Veteran
Ps - tried it out with em-5 and 75-300 attached to see if it would topple over - no chance!

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have been looking at the mefoto tripods for awhile but been unsure but several people here have been recommending them. Glad to read that they can hold a longer lens without trouble. I love my Vanguard Alta Pro but it is too big and heavy for travel let alone backpacking. I guess I just need to get a mefoto, now to pick a color!

jonlong

Mu-43 Regular
I've got the Mefoto Roadtrip in the titanium color and it's been great. Extends as tall as my Manfrotto 190xprob but folds up much smaller and fits in my smallest day pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nixapatfan

Mu-43 Regular
Anyone try the ebay tripods which all look like they came from the same factory as the Mefoto roadtrip. Like the Bieke bk-777 and q-666

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Anyone try the ebay tripods which all look like they came from the same factory as the Mefoto roadtrip. Like the Bieke bk-777 and q-666

I have not BUT I have tried some other knock-off products and they NEVER match the quality. They very often use inferior materials. You save some money but the products don't last. I recommend you stick with the original.

portadiferro

Mu-43 Regular
I'm loving my Sirui t-025x. It is probably bit over your budget, but I think it is very decently priced for carbon fiber tripod. Of course the aluminium versions are even cheaper. It is small, light and fast to put up and fold away. Still seems sturdy enough for my E-M1, even with 43 lenses.

BigTom

Mu-43 Regular
I got a Redged 522K and am already regretting buying something with twistlock legs. While the half-twist mechanism is really fast to use, they gunge up almost instantly when using them on the beach in sand, which is where 50% of my photography happens. Really wish I'd bought something with flip-locks like all my previous legs.

IDLookout

Mu-43 Regular
I love my MeFoto Roadtrip. One nice thing about it is that you can remove the center post and reverse it, so that you can take photos (with the camera upside down) right at ground level.

P3262750-sm.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Djarum

Super Moderator
Real Name
Jason
I got a Redged 522K and am already regretting buying something with twistlock legs. While the half-twist mechanism is really fast to use, they gunge up almost instantly when using them on the beach in sand, which is where 50% of my photography happens. Really wish I'd bought something with flip-locks like all my previous legs.

They all have their quirks. I had one with the flip locks and if something got in there, they wouldn't lock at all.

BigTom

Mu-43 Regular
They all have their quirks. I had one with the flip locks and if something got in there, they wouldn't lock at all.

Hmm. I've had 4 sets of flip lock legs previously and have never run into problems. First time out with the Redged and I had one leg section completely locked up with sand within 15 minutes of starting shooting, and loads of paint stripped from the legs where sand was getting caught in the mechanism. Took a lot of cleaning when I got home and already looks in a worse state than my 2 year old crappy travel Manfrotto. Not blaming Redged as such, but I knew I should have gone for flip locks!

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I got a Redged 522K and am already regretting buying something with twistlock legs.

I am with you! I have never liked twist locks. Beside the sand issue you described I have had them not properly lock{worn out over time} or worse lock and not be able to get them to unlock{of coarse that was a cheapy that did that}. I also find it quicker and easier to use lever type locks and you can tell visually if they are locked or not.

With this fact in mind but still wanting a small and light but still sturdy tripod I found the Manfrotto Befree.
http://www.manfrotto.us/befree
It has similar specs to the MeFoto Backpacker although it is a little bit higher priced. Still I am willing to pay the difference for the lever locks.

Latest threads

Top Bottom