1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Compact Superzoom Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Biro, Dec 19, 2011.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Hi there... very occasionally I still find a use for a compact superzoom, usually in situations where anything other than a compact is either not allowed or is simply impractical. Hard to believe, but sometimes even :43: won't fill the bill - particularly if you need smallness and zoom range.

Currently, I have a Canon SX230 HS, which generally is considered to have the best image quality in this class - particularly at higher ISOs. I have no reason to doubt this. But, of course, this being basically a point-and-shoot camera, shutter response is still just a bit off (but better than such cameras were even two years ago) and I find the zoom action to be a bit slow. Yes, I'm well-aware of the general limitations of these cameras.

So, my questions for mu-43.com's best and brightest are: Are any you still using a compact superzoom camera? If so, which one? Do you have any suggestions for me - a camera like this with fast response and image quality comparable to the SX230 HS? And what about Fuji's F600/550/500 EXR family of cameras? I like reaching outside of the box and I'm tempted to try one. But they get very mixed reviews.

Of course, it may be that I already have the best camera in the class already and this is as good as it's going to get for a while. But I'd appreciate the feedback because most professional reviews really don't answer my questions and general consumer reviews simply can't be trusted. But you guys... yeah, I trust you guys. :) 

2. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    My wife bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS10 this spring. Just under $300 at Costco. She is very pleased with it.

I am now going through our images from a trip to Southern Africa and hers are astonishingly good competition to mine taken with a G1 and a 100-300. The biggest problem, common to all these little viewfinderless cameras, is camera motion.

One thing she wanted was a better wide-angle. The ZS10 goes to 24mm (equivalent), which IMHO is enough for good interior shots where 28mm is simply not wide enough to give a sense of space.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Check out the Olympus SZ-10. Sweet little camera, with quick response for a point and shoot and an 18x zoom starting at 28mm. It's surprisingly small for a camera of its versatility.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Now that's an interesting suggestion because I had written off Oly's compact superzooms (like almost all of their compact cameras) as not being top-tier in their segment. But I'll check it out.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This year's batch of Oly P&Ss of all models perform much better than previous years - including response, picture quality, and even style. Since the PEN technology has a lot in common with Point-and-Shoot technology, I imagine all their hard work in R&D for the PEN line is trickling down now. I mean, they were the first to get CDAF to work as fast as PDAF, in a mirrorless camera that responds instantly in every way. You'd think they'd be able to make a decent performing compact too, right? Comparing this year's models with a couple years ago, I'd say yes. :) 

6. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I'm a big fan of the Panasonic ZS series for that sort of purpose..I've been tempted to pick one up up again if I see a deal. Prints nicely up to 8x10 imho.

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Uh, sorry. The EP3 I assume you're referring to finally caught up to the GH2 and G3 that had been out for almost a full year before Olympus went from "marginal" AF speed to "state of the competition".

The EP3 is only remarkable in comparison to its dog-slow predecessors, not in any way the Panny lineup

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.