Compact Shoulder Bag for Lumix GX7?

SC489

Mu-43 Rookie
I'm looking for a compact shoulder bag to accommodate the GX7 body, 14-42mm zoom, 45-150 telephoto zoom, 9-18 mm wide zoom and maybe a 40mm lens.

I'd like to be able to access all lenses from above. What's the most compact solution?

j9ksf

Mu-43 Rookie
Have a look at the Billingham range. Very durable.

orfeo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
+1 : Billingham Hadley pro is the way to go! You can even use it as a smart menbag without the removable divider. I love the tan khaki in canvas fabric.

rklepper

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Robert
I have a Billingham Hadley small for when I am traveling light and a Billingham 107 for when I am taking filters and such with me. They both serve their purpose very well. You cant possible go wrong with a Billingham.

SC489

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks

The Hadley would be fine but costs £115+ in the UK. I was hoping for something significantly cheaper - no more than £40 / US$70.

Any ideas for a cheaper solution?

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Have a look on eBay for canvas camera bag, there are loads for around £20, they are obviously not upto the quality of Billinghams but quite workable.

Paul

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
... compact shoulder bag ... What's the most compact solution?
The most compact solution won't be a bag that is sold as a "camera bag." Heavy padding and "compact" just don't go in the same sentence. I suggest that you look at the plethora of bags sold as "tactical bags." I use this type of bag almost exclusively, sometimes adding a 1/4" or 3/8" thick piece of closed-cell foam to the bottom. IMO if you are at all careful in how you handle the bag (i.e., don't let it swing when rock-climbing), padding is unnecessary. Here is a "tactical" bag that I have used for 4-5 years all over the world.
monopod.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It is set up to be used either as a waist pack or with a shoulder strap. I can easily carry 2 GX7s with mounted lenses plus three or four more lenses all in the main top-accessible section, plus batteries, filters, and miscellaneous junk in the zip pocket. The "tactical" (aka PALS or Molle) webbing makes it easy to attach stuff, as you can see with the monopod. I did add some 1/4" closed-cell foam on the bottom. Here's the link: http://sotechtactical.com/collections/frontpage/products/mission-go-bag SoTech also has a lower-priced model that is sewn overseas. Sorry I do not have a link to that one. (edit: Found the import line; it's called Paladin and is identical to the one I have.
Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK6Ez16DDwA&noredirect=1)

I also have and use one of these: http://www.proforceequipment.com/product-details.php?id=228&catid=28 from time to time when I am carrying a small kit of stuff. It is a very small bag, but the end compartments will take at least a 14-140mm. You could probably get your whole kit as listed into it, but I wouldn't recommend it.

This style of bag also doesn't scream "Here are some expensive cameras." the way many of the purpose-built camera bags do.

If you do want a little padding, apply it selectively by using the cheap neoprene foam lens and camera covers sold on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/sch/?_nkw=neoprene lens bag

There are hundreds of this type of bag to choose from, and hundreds more small pouches and gadgets that can attach to the PALS webbing for additional flexibility. LA Police Gear (http://www.lapolicegear.com/mollegear.html) stocks a lot of the stuff with usually good prices and frequent sales but their web site is a little hard to navigate.

orfeo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Welcome to the bag graal search... Hope you won't buy too many until you find yours!

oxhouser

Mu-43 Regular
I use the Tarmac ZUMA COMPACT

Model 5720

It fits my GX7 with 12-35 lens fitted, a 7-14 wide and a 14mm and 45mm, it's just big enough to fit an iPad mini in the slide pocket and the front zip pocket fits 2 spare batteries and a couple of nd filters

It won't take the big wide angle lens if it's in a protective bag but the interior is padded and felt lined so I don't see a problem, it's a really compact bag

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Another vote for Tamrac. Not stylish, imo, but exceptionally functional. Check out the Rally 5. Can be had in the US for around $60. I have the Rally Micro. It snugly fits an E-P5 with lens mounted + one other lens. Good little bag imo.

gardengirl13

Mu-43 Veteran
I got one kind of homemade by someone and loved it at first but it's just too top heavy. I had the Domke F-6 and loved it with the DSLR system, but it's too big for the M4/3 so I'm looking to get the F-8 which is smaller, but out of stock until Oct!!! It's going to be a long wait!!! Domke's don't scream camera bag, they're waterproof canvas and have slight padding on the bottom and the dividers. The wear in great and will mold to you body. I can't wait to get mine!

0dBm

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've been using the Lowepro Streamline 150 lately. It accommodates my GX1, PL25, Oly12, Oly45, Metz 58AF, Cineroid video light, backup batteries and still has room to spare. I place additional padding at the inside bottom since it is rather thin in order to accommodate its fold-up/expandable design. Very lightweight!

Kaiser

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for your advice.

I finished up buying the Lowepro Event Messenger 100 which meets my needs at a reasonable cost. See this link;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lowepro-Event-Messenger-Camera-DSLR/dp/B0077B2XI2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408805325&sr=8-1&keywords=event+messenger+100

+1 for the Event Messenger 100. It's one of the most compact, holds it's shape (easy to load/unload while on shoulder), and holds as much as my shoulder is willing to carry for a day (ie. I'm not tempted to take everything I own in one bag). It's perfect for a m43 with lens mounted, up to four extra lens( I usually carry 2 extra), couple of cards and filters in the front and the side elastic pockets are perfectly made for spare batteries.

I also have a Urban Disguise 60 and a Domke F3 both of which I found too big for m43.

Latest threads

Top Bottom