Compact or GX1/G3/EP3?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by chrism_scotland, Dec 12, 2012.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hi folks,

I'm looking to pickup a smaller camera for the holidays and I've been looking at the Sony RX100, Fuji X100 and Samsung Galaxy Camera but at about £430-£600 each I've been very tempted by either of the Panasonic G3 and GX1 as the prices have dropped sharply in the UK, also the EP3 with a 17mm is aroind the same price.

Obviously I've had an EP1, EP2 and OMD before but had to sell all my kit due to skintness and while I was all set just to pickup a compact for some snapshots at Christmas it seems almost prudent to take a look at some of the older M43 bodies based on price drops but just wondered if anyone else had made a similar choice?

2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I also contemplated the same thing.
    Certainly a high spec compact has its advantages, mainly small size and convenience. Sometimes photography takes 2nd place when you are travelling with a girlfriend etc too so a smaller easier, quicker to use compact is more practical. I have considered the Canon G15 too.
    I wish I had taken one on a recent trip to Amsterdam with my gf, my 4/3 gear didn't get that much use, my £60 compact did!!!

Paul

3. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I did half think about just replacing my mobile phone with something with a much better camera, would probably do fine for my needs

4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Is pocketability critical? If so, go with the RX100. If not, the GX1 and 20mm make a great little snapshot kit.

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd be tempted by the RX100.

My experience is that when I owned the GX1 and Fuji X10 and the E-P3 and X10 I almost always grabbed the X10. Not saying it is better than those cameras, it is not, but all things considered it was usually my choice. It has taken the E-M5 to give the Fuji some rest.

6. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    Spain
    If m43 cameras are too big for you for traveling, then what is the sense of owning one?

Buy a Canon S100 for travels and a DSLR for those moments you want to practise photography

I sold my big and heavy DSLR because it was too uncomfortable for travelling, and bought a m43 camera for that, I can put my E-PM1 with 14-42 into my jacket pockets when I'm not using it

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

7. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

P1000422.

I bought an LX-7 for a recent trip through southern Europe. It performed extremely well. I found out from experience that one battery wasn't enough for a whole days shooting. The camera is light, tough, and the f1.4 lens was great for low light. The above photo was taken in Toledo, Spain. I left all my mu-43 gear home, and put my faith in this little point and shoot. I was not disappointed. My other fave camera would be the Canon G15, but size wise the LX-7 wins handsomely.
    Cheers
    DUD

8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I say that if you are going to be walking around with some kind of a bag anyway then its worth it to put a higher performance cam like m43 in it. If however you like to just put something small in your pocket then a true compact is more compelling.

9. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    As much as I like the design of the e-p3, I think either the GX-1 or G-3 would be the best choice depending on the pricing.
    The GX-1 and G-3 are hovering around $300 here in the USA. A GX-1 or G-3 body with a 20mm would let you start rebuilding a kit for about the same cost as the RX100 here.
    The above of course assumes a couple of things:
    1) What you get doesn't have to be as small as the RX100
    2) You want to start putting a small gear kit back together

10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    I was in exactly the same place about 6 months ago and ended up with a Canon G12.

++eye level viewfinder
    ++RAW file options
    ++articulated LCD
    +quickly useable knobs and dials for most camera settings
    +cute tricks, including in-camera HDR, internal ND filter
    +image quality pretty good for a small sensor camera

--wide end goes only to 28mm equivalent
    -kind of pudgy for a pocket but better than the M43 options.
    -ergonomics of gripping the camera are poor
    -eye level viewfinder framing not very accurate
    -image quality not up to M43

YMMV, of course.

11. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Given the price on the GH2 here in the USA, that would also be an older model I would consider, especially if you are wanting to experiment with video at some point.

As posted above YMMV. In fact it likely will V.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.