Compact or GX1/G3/EP3?

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by chrism_scotland, Dec 12, 2012.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hi folks,

I'm looking to pickup a smaller camera for the holidays and I've been looking at the Sony RX100, Fuji X100 and Samsung Galaxy Camera but at about £430-£600 each I've been very tempted by either of the Panasonic G3 and GX1 as the prices have dropped sharply in the UK, also the EP3 with a 17mm is aroind the same price.

Obviously I've had an EP1, EP2 and OMD before but had to sell all my kit due to skintness and while I was all set just to pickup a compact for some snapshots at Christmas it seems almost prudent to take a look at some of the older M43 bodies based on price drops but just wondered if anyone else had made a similar choice?
  2. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I also contemplated the same thing.
    Certainly a high spec compact has its advantages, mainly small size and convenience. Sometimes photography takes 2nd place when you are travelling with a girlfriend etc too so a smaller easier, quicker to use compact is more practical. I have considered the Canon G15 too.
    I wish I had taken one on a recent trip to Amsterdam with my gf, my 4/3 gear didn't get that much use, my £60 compact did!!!

3. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I did half think about just replacing my mobile phone with something with a much better camera, would probably do fine for my needs
  4. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Is pocketability critical? If so, go with the RX100. If not, the GX1 and 20mm make a great little snapshot kit.
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd be tempted by the RX100.

My experience is that when I owned the GX1 and Fuji X10 and the E-P3 and X10 I almost always grabbed the X10. Not saying it is better than those cameras, it is not, but all things considered it was usually my choice. It has taken the E-M5 to give the Fuji some rest.
  6. Anthon

Anthon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 8, 2012
    If m43 cameras are too big for you for traveling, then what is the sense of owning one?

Buy a Canon S100 for travels and a DSLR for those moments you want to practise photography

I sold my big and heavy DSLR because it was too uncomfortable for travelling, and bought a m43 camera for that, I can put my E-PM1 with 14-42 into my jacket pockets when I'm not using it

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
  7. DownUnderDog

DownUnderDog Mu-43 Regular

I bought an LX-7 for a recent trip through southern Europe. It performed extremely well. I found out from experience that one battery wasn't enough for a whole days shooting. The camera is light, tough, and the f1.4 lens was great for low light. The above photo was taken in Toledo, Spain. I left all my mu-43 gear home, and put my faith in this little point and shoot. I was not disappointed. My other fave camera would be the Canon G15, but size wise the LX-7 wins handsomely.
  8. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    I say that if you are going to be walking around with some kind of a bag anyway then its worth it to put a higher performance cam like m43 in it. If however you like to just put something small in your pocket then a true compact is more compelling.
  9. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    As much as I like the design of the e-p3, I think either the GX-1 or G-3 would be the best choice depending on the pricing.
    The GX-1 and G-3 are hovering around $300 here in the USA. A GX-1 or G-3 body with a 20mm would let you start rebuilding a kit for about the same cost as the RX100 here.
    The above of course assumes a couple of things:
    1) What you get doesn't have to be as small as the RX100
    2) You want to start putting a small gear kit back together
  10. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    I was in exactly the same place about 6 months ago and ended up with a Canon G12.

++eye level viewfinder
    ++RAW file options
    ++articulated LCD
    +quickly useable knobs and dials for most camera settings
    +cute tricks, including in-camera HDR, internal ND filter
    +image quality pretty good for a small sensor camera

--wide end goes only to 28mm equivalent
    -kind of pudgy for a pocket but better than the M43 options.
    -ergonomics of gripping the camera are poor
    -eye level viewfinder framing not very accurate
    -image quality not up to M43

YMMV, of course.
  11. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Given the price on the GH2 here in the USA, that would also be an older model I would consider, especially if you are wanting to experiment with video at some point.

As posted above YMMV. In fact it likely will V.