Compact Light stands

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by cidfadon, Jul 26, 2013.

1. cidfadon

cidfadon New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2011
    Dublin (Ireland)
    I recently bought a FL-36R and a friend of mine lend me an umbrella to practice with. I was thinking to use my tripod for the umbrella but I finish up thinking to buy its dedicated light stand so I can start my own equip.

I was looking for a compact light stand (usualy cheap) because I think it will work fine at home and doesnt take that much room when Im not using it.

Are guys happy with the compact light stands to start investing on your light gear or do you think they are mostly useless and it is better to go directly for an expensive one?

Thank you!

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    The cheap Chinese ones are fine, if you're indoors. Cowboy Studios mid tiered ones are pretty good if you want to go outside they take the weight bags pretty well, and even have shock resistance. Some of the super cheapos will bend, or just fall over with any larger modifiers.

For some mid to higher tiered I really like these stands, and am switching over to them for the sheer fact their clamp system is better and cheaper than manfrotto or westcott. Professional Lighting Stands & Grip Equipment | Kupo Grip USA Plus their Grip-o-pedia is a great source of info.

3. MikeWhitten

MikeWhitten Mu-43 Regular

Dec 29, 2012
  4. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    I think I picked up a Calumet that extends ridiculously tall for pretty cheap. Can't find it on their website, maybe it's the 7' compact but the last time I used it, the umbrella was touching the ceiling in the reception hall.