Compact Fluid Foot Monopods

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RogerD, May 10, 2015.

1. RogerD

RogerD Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2014
    I see that B & H has a good selection of monopods, and several options with fluid feet, notably Manfrotto and Benro.

I was looking for one that either had a total length or easily break down to a storage length of under 16". I didn't see any that were offered this way - all seemed to either have longer monopod sections or had feet that were permanently attached.

Is there a product, or a combination of products, that could achieve a storage length of under 16"? It occurs to me that a Sirui P-306/326 attached to a Benro 3-Leg Locking Base For Monopods would do this. Does the Sirui's foot end have threads suitable for this? Would a simple hardware store adapter make the connection, as this person did (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1iw75aGSR4)?

Thanks,
    Roger

2. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I'm not sure that the Sirui 224/204 can break down smaller than 16', but the feet are completely removeable, and it is by far the best video mono I've used.

My Manfrotto 560B is the smallest and lightest video mono I have, and it's still considerable longer than 16' closed up.

3. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    No help from me here, but I'm interested in the same. My benro travel tripod folds up nicely to fit in a smallish backpack, but I struggle to fit my benro small S2 video monopod (50 cm) in my carry on even if diagonally with feet removed.

The mogopod III S collapses down to 20", about the same as the benro S2 (a38f monopod).

4. RogerD

RogerD Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 29, 2014
    Thanks for the two helpful replies by members.

Does B and H come here anymore? It looks like this sub-forum gets almost no traffic and they haven't replied to the only two questions asked of them this year.

I wrote this here instead of contacting them privately because it seemed like a question other people would be interested in, but it looks like I need to go elsewhere.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    Please report back as I'm highly interested, but have found nothing shorter than 20" with head and feet removed.

6. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    They have normally been responsive to posts in this specific forum, but after all of the site changes, they might not be receiving notifications. You might want to send a message directly to Chuck to see if he is still covering for our forum. He is usually good at getting back to folks in a somewhat reasonable timeframe.

Good luck,

--Ken