Como Bridge at night (Sydney)

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
Como Bridge is a former railway bridge, now pedestrian path and cycle way. It is really dark at night to say the least only being lit by two small solar lights towards the middle of the bridge.

The first shot was taken with a Schneider 40mm lens at f/11.

The second shot was taken with an Olympus M.Zuiko 9-18mm lens set to 9mm and f/5.6.

In both cases the shots were for 60 seconds, ISO200 and the camera was an Olympus E-P1.

The time between these shots is 1 hour. I have used a passing train on the new rail bridge (relatively speaking) to illuminate the bridge but despite the extra exposure in the second shot, it still isn't really enough and noise was impossible to deal with. The difference in the lighting was the loss of reflected light off the clouds overhead which disappeared in that hour.

The different hue in the lighting on the bridge is from the railway signals.

4786068155_4464b4e61c_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

4786700630_f74fee05a8_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I am wondering what perspective works the best in these?

Personally, I prefer the first but I do like the effect of the chain wire in the second. It is a hard choice, so which one works best for you?

Cheers

PeterB666

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Although I am drawn to the red version, I really like seeing more of the multiple archways in the first. My thought is that if you cropped the first one down closer to that main arch that it would be a more powerful image.

I think the red one gets to me more because the tones and angles are more dramatic, whereas the first is subtler.

Pap

Mu-43 Regular
The perspective seems to change for me from one to the other. It appears that the camera was somewhat lower on the second image whatever. I like that angle a bit more. And perhaps a bit odd but I like the inclusion of the chain link fence and the addition of the red.
Pap

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
The angle and height is exactly the same in both. The camera was mounted on a gorillapod and levelled for horizontal and vertical (close enough).

I too like the chain wire fence & red hue. The chain wire is given more prominance in the wider shot.

BBW

Super Moderator Emeritus
Yes, Peter, I was thinking of about 1 inch off the top on the first.

That said, I agree about the red and that chain link fence - there's something more tactile and "present" in the second one, for me, though I like both.

Latest threads

Top Bottom