Common E-P3 screen problem?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by JJJPhoto, Oct 13, 2011.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I've had my E-P3 for a while now and I've noticed an odd "glitch" from time to time with the live preview on the screen. Sometimes under odd mixed lighting (such as when I'm in a bar or a club with mixed colored lights) or when I've got the camera pointed toward a computer/TV screen I'll see banding that moves (usually from the top down) on the LCD.

The actual images record fine, it's just the live view has weird wavy lines.

I never see this phenomenon using live view on the screens on my E-PL1 or E-P1s.

Do other E-P3 owners experience this?

I'm trying to find out if my camera has a problem requiring warranty service or if it's normal.

Again, there is NO impact to the recorded image ... it's just really annoying from time to time when trying to frame the scene on the LCD.

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have the same deal on my E-P3... not very often, but occasionally notice under some fluorescent lights and when pointed at a computer display.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I have that too. I don't think it's a problem with the EP3's screen. Although I have no idea how to explain what that is, it's pretty similar to seeing those bands going up and down a computer screen when someone is filming the computer screen with a video camera.

Ok, computer/engineering people ... wanna chime in on explaining whatever that phenomena is called and why it happens?

• Like Like x 1
  4. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Okay ... I'm starting to feel a little better. I'm still curious as to why it's happening on the E-P3 and I don't see it on my other Pen cameras.

As long as it's not impacting the recorded image quality it isn't a serious problem ... it's just a little annoying.

5. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    It's something to do with the different refresh rates of the camera's LCD or sensor and the computer screen or fluorescent lighting. Same reason that car wheels sometimes look like they're moving backwards on TV or on film, and closely related to the reason why you get moire patterns without anti-aliasing filters. As you've noticed, for the purposes of still photography, it isn't a problem; it's only when you watch things over time that it comes into play.

• Like Like x 1
  6. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I thought it may have something to do with the OLED screen, maybe a refresh rate difference versus the LCD versions in the other PENs.

Yeah, it happens so infrequently for me, that I wouldn't even quite call it an annoyance. I would be interested to find out why technically it is happening, though.

7. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    That solves it (more or less). The sample image you posted in that other thread is EXACTLY what my screen looks like sometimes. It's annoying when you see it but not the end of the world.

That said, I'd love it if Olympus somehow had a firmware fix for this issue ... at the same time that they address the touch LCD/EVF problem.

That's assuming Olympus bothers with a firmware fix.

8. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    It seems isolated for now, but I'd imagine the more people like you discover this problem, they'll have to at least give it a look.

I haven't experienced it myself, but in the rare case, I could live with it.

9. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    I haven't experienced that under odd lighting yet. Only happens when I aim the EP3 at my TV or computer screen. Fortunately, I don't take photos of my TV (except when fooling with the face detection stuff).

10. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    I guess I run into it more because I often take photos of rooms with TVs or computer screens ... or projection screens in the case of some new clubs where they have projectors showing video and other lighting effects on the walls.