1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Commercial fishing "opener"

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by noelh, Mar 28, 2011.

1. In town mid-day to return some library materials. Hear the sound of straining marine diesels from the harbor. Open water a few miles up the North Channel. South Channel has major pack ice jam. Pre-Easter prices for fish I guess makes the effort to head out cost effective. The boats help each other out of their slips. Then they tag-team breaking ice to open water.

GF-1, 14-45mm & 45-200mm lens

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Noel,

What type of fishing boats are these? I don't notice any gear, side rig drags, outcrops etc.

Interesting stuff, now I'm curious.....

3. Old tested design.

These boats pictured are steel hulled. Most sit in their slips over winter. The similar looking even older wooden hull boats are onshore sitting on their cradles. "Backdoor" hatch and side hatches for deploying lines or nets. Relatively powerful & seaworthy little boats. An old fisherman told me once that the boats were originally designed to roll 360*. Addition or modification of taller pilot houses & exhaust stacks may make some of these boats less seaworthy.

At one time Bayfield was a major fishing harbor. One of the largest in tonnage on L. Superior. Over fishing, invasive critters resulted in a rapid crash. Today fishing is still a part of the local economy. Just a smaller part. Luckily for many of the displaced fishermen their 2nd job of tending the family fruit orchards, sales of property for MacMansions has ended up being a good source of income. Fishing village turned to vacation village. Over 1/2 the dwellings in town are 2nd homes. "Gateway" to the Apostle Islands National Lake Shore. Nice and quiet now. But by mid-May....

• Like Like x 1
  4. unkabin

unkabin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 17, 2011
    Minnesota
    A couple years ago, my brother and I sailed for a week around the Apostle Islands, sleeping at anchor in the coves. Incredible. Most of my sailing has been in Lake Michigan, sleeping in marinas. Superior is just, well . . . Superior. I wish I'd had a decent camera at the time. Gosh darn it, looks like I'll have to do it again.

P.S. I see the same kinds of boats on the north shore of Lake Michigan, around Manistique and Naubinway.

• Like Like x 1