Comments on Adapters

relic

Mu-43 All-Pro
I bought two M42 to m4/3 adapters from ebay sellers. One was "Pixco" brand, but I don't remember the "brand" of the other. With both, I was not comfortable fitting them to the camera, as they seemed to not want to turn all the way to the stop with a reasonable (to me) amount of force, and I wasn't sure how much torque I could apply without causing damage. Both vendors were quite willing to refund the cost. I finally bought a Novoflex adpater, which cost several times as much but fit perfectly. Except that it had an inner "ring" that pressed the auto-aperture pin, resulting in the aperture being set regardless of the position of the AUTO/MAN mechanical switch that is on all of my Pentax screw-mount lenses. I used a Dremel tool to grind the ring sufficiently to clear the aperture pin on the lens, and now I am happy with it, even though internally it looks a bit botched due to my shoddy workmanship:smile:

cherrywood

Mu-43 Regular
Metabones Adapters.

This is a good thread.

I bought myself a Nikon to m4/3 mount from eBay. It's a Japanese brand called Metabones. The store owner is also a forummer here by the name Lasjas. My review on this adapter is simply outstanding. The built quality is top notch. I really have no complaints actually. I really recommend Metabones. Contact Lasjas and he'll give fellow forummer a generous discount.
Yes, NOKIAMA I second that on the Metabones adapters. I have the Metabones Nikon F to m43 and also the Metabones contax G lens to m43, they are very well made and precise, very good machining and finishing and solid, once again you usually get what you pay for.If you are going to actually use the adapter over a long period of time then get the best you can afford.

Its like a tripod, most of us start out with a cheep one, trash it, because it did not work, get a better one then it also fails to live up to snuff and only works for a while, Then we decide to finally just GET the Gitzo and be done with it!!. Thankfully i started out with the Gitzo and also with the Metabones.

Really, the only ones I would recommend for long time usage are Metabones and Roberts (Monza) for Contax G, had Roberts and while it is just as well made as the Metabones it still has the smaller side wheel, some like this , but i perfer the large focus ring on the Metabones, but Robert's, is also lighter then the Metabones adapter.

Then, Voigtlander and Cameraquest adapters, and if Voigtlander would have made the Contax G adapter I probably would have purchased that one first instead. So this ,IMHO are the four that probably will hold up the longest especially if you are changing lens and will be using these for a long time.

A side NOTE on the Metabones Contax G adapters, its best to get individual adapter's for all your Contax G lens as this combo is the hardest to attach and reattach quickly.

All the Best. Dennis.:smile:

Jimboh

Mu-43 Regular
m43 Adapters Nikon F & Canon FD

I bought Voigtlander Nikon F and have been quite satisfied with it. Does what I expected, including correct focus to infinity. Quick to mount, no wobbling and made my O-series 35mm F2 my favorite lens again. Also tested with the 105 f2/5.

The Canon FD adapter was another matter. I purchased the JNFinance (ebay) and while it had basic functionality, the split ring was cumbersome to use as it was easy to connect the lens and miss the aperture control lockup. Also it went past infinity. Both tended to make it take longer than desirable to setup shots.

I bought the Novoflex Canon FD and no longer use the JNfinance. Novoflex locks on like the original camera mount, focuses right to infinity, and aperture control seems intrinsic to the design. Mounted on 200mm f2.8, 85 f1.8, 135 f2.5.

I still think adapters that cost more than some of these fine vintage lenses is too expensive.

MajorMagee

Mu-43 All-Pro
From the other perspective, I just picked up a legacy Sears 135mm f2.8 OM lens and clicked it on the adapter without really checking it out first. Took some shots and everything looked great, until I tried to take it off. Way too tight, grinding noises, arrrgh. When I got it off I discovered that the contact plate on the adapter had a big new scratch in it. Looking at the base of the lens revealed that one of the four attachment screws had backed itself out just enough for the head to stick out above the surface of the plate. A quick tighten with a micro screwdriver and all is well again, except for the permanent gouge in the adapter plate.

The lesson here is to look very carefully before you try a new piece of kit out for the first time.

jcdoss

Mu-43 Regular
I'm new to all this, and finding an adapter I'll be confident enough to purchase is becoming the rate limiting step of my entry into m43.

I've pretty much decided on an Oly EPL2 to begin a transition from Nikon (D200). I've wanted smaller, lighter, and easier to carry for a while, and this looks like the ticket... with IS on all lenses as an extra special bonus!

The problem is, I've already got five lenses and only one has an aperture ring. I need a Nikon-G adapter with aperture control. I pretty much don't care about AF since I'm now focusing on acquiring some old legacy MF lenses (pun intended!).

There's the Novoflex adapter for something like $250, and a bunch of questionable ones at $50 or less. Here I've read kudos for the Metabones adapter, but I don't see one available on their ebay page.

So, should I just suck it up and pay the big bucks for the Novoflex adapter?

Eventually, I'd like to get some Voigtlander rangefinder lenses (advice welcome) because I think they look awesome and I've been impressed with images taken with them. Also, I've ordered some m42 screwmount lenses, so I'll end up needing at least three adapters... Nikon G with an aperture lever, m42, and Leica M.

Thanks!

michaelfinch

Mu-43 Regular
Hi all. I go with Narnian on this; I've had a Rainbow adapter for a few weeks now and have recently tried it with a CV 15mm Heliar and a 90mm Apo-Lanthar. The 90mm seems to me to be particularly good with my G1.
Is there a post for that lens? If someone can point me to it I'll put up some pix.
Cheers
Michael

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I've spent from $180 on the premium adapters to $25-ish on the economical Fotodiox (made in China, but available immediately from the USA-based Fotodiox).

In my experience, while the $180 adapters are very nicely built and the $90 adapters are nice as well, unless you don't mind spending the big bucks, I'd recommend the $25-ish Fotodiox adapters as perfectly serviceable and readily available in the USA. They're less expensive when purchased through Amazon than directly from Fotodiox's website. They work just fine for me.

ZephyrZ33

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I've spent from $180 on the premium adapters to $25-ish on the economical Fotodiox (made in China, but available immediately from the USA-based Fotodiox).

In my experience, while the $180 adapters are very nicely built and the $90 adapters are nice as well, unless you don't mind spending the big bucks, I'd recommend the $25-ish Fotodiox adapters as perfectly serviceable and readily available in the USA. They're less expensive when purchased through Amazon than directly from Fotodiox's website. They work just fine for me.

That's good to hear. I just picked up an OM to M4/3 Fotodiox adapter this morning from Amazon. I'll chime in on how it works.

JCD

Mu-43 Veteran
I recently bought tree adapters on ebay (china): Nikon F, M42 and Leica M (even if the seller sent me the Leica R...) for about 34€; I took pictures with the first two and for now I'm very satisfied with them

chenick

New to Mu-43
Real Name
Nick
I also bought from R-aerphoto (c.kee) with no problems

I got a Pentax K and a Leica M adapters, also branded Pixco.
The Leica adapter I use with a Leica screw -> Leica M adapter also

No problems with the adapters, I doubt they're as high quality as the Voigtländer ones, but for under $18 each I'm not complaining.

-Nick

Pentax K/PK to m43

From R-aerphoto (c.kee) on eBay

Pro: Very nicely made, beautiful fit lens-to-adapter, nearly as good a fit adapter-to-camera as a native lens, very inexpensive, came with an endcap, very quick service HK -> UK (6 working days)

Con: Can't see any at present

Both adapter box and adapter itself are branded "Pixco"

Rating: 9.9/10

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
I'm a OMD5 user and looking for a good quality OM to M43 adaptor.
Having read the thread, it seems to be a minefield when it comes to choosing a suitable adaptor.
Being an engineer I hate it if things are not right, and having read about Fotodiox there seems to be too many instances of 'slop' on the lens to mount interface.
Any recommendations for a good quality adaptor that's not going to damage the camera and not going to rattle or feel loose?
Many thanks.

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
I'm a OMD5 user and looking for a good quality OM to M43 adaptor.
Having read the thread, it seems to be a minefield when it comes to choosing a suitable adaptor.
Being an engineer I hate it if things are not right, and having read about Fotodiox there seems to be too many instances of 'slop' on the lens to mount interface.
Any recommendations for a good quality adaptor that's not going to damage the camera and not going to rattle or feel loose?
Many thanks.
Novoflex or Rayqual both make adapters with precise flange distance and properly fit bayonet mounts at both ends. They cost a lot more than the cheap sloppy ones. I use both Rainbow Imaging and Fotodiox adapters and live with the focus past infinity and somewhat loose feel. $20 vs. $150 and up.

Fred

Ricoh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve
Thanks for the reply.
Cost wise, the Novoflex and the Rayqual seem to be in the same league as the Olympus converter, approx UK £150, which is a touch expensive and rather offsets the benefit.
For not more than 1/5 of the price I may as well take a 'punt' on one of the cheaper variants, and if I'm unhappy with the interface, particularly to the camera, I can bin it, or put it on flee bay.
Clearly there's a gap in the market between the 'Rolls Royce' and the 'Trabant' of converters, but I guess it's driven by demand.
Cheers.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom