Comments on Adapters

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Konica AR to m43 - rainbowimaging (RJ)

Konica AR to m43

From rainbowimaging (RJ) on eBay

Pro: Very nicely made, beautiful fit lens-to-adapter, very quick service USA -> UK

Con: A very slight slip in the fit adapter-to-camera, but less than the MMF-1; a little more pricey than some.

Rating: 9/10 - the cons are really minor

I bought from ebay.com not ebay.co.uk - it was a bit cheaper! Plus RJ and a few others sometimes have multiple listings of the same items but at different prices, so pick through them carefully.

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Pentax K/PK to m43 - R-aerphoto (Pixco)

Pentax K/PK to m43

From R-aerphoto (c.kee) on eBay

Pro: Very nicely made, beautiful fit lens-to-adapter, nearly as good a fit adapter-to-camera as a native lens, very inexpensive, came with an endcap, very quick service HK -> UK (6 working days)

Con: Can't see any at present

Both adapter box and adapter itself are branded "Pixco"

Rating: 9.9/10

ianc

New to Mu-43
M43-PKA (pentax) works a treat, £29.99 from a UK seller on a certain auction site.

oldnikkor

Mu-43 Regular
This is a good thread.

I bought myself a Nikon to m4/3 mount from eBay. It's a Japanese brand called Metabones. The store owner is also a forummer here by the name Lasjas. My review on this adapter is simply outstanding. The built quality is top notch. I really have no complaints actually. I really recommend Metabones. Contact Lasjas and he'll give fellow forummer a generous discount.
The Metabones Nikon adapter is spectacular! It has little springs in the mount to keep the lens from rattlling or moving.

Careful with the Fotodiox adapters. My M42 adapter from them has internal ridges that prevent its use with SMC Takumars. I got a second no name one that works fine, but I don't know where it came from. I bought it from a guy at a camera show.

Bokeh Diem

Mu-43 Top Veteran
All Fotodiox adapters should be given a very wide berth. I have one now that is permanently secured to the backside of an expensive Contax G 45mm lens... I discovered that after having complained to the F-man about the quality of his product upon trying to use the damn thing and its flimsy little focus wheel.

I am really pissed.

BokehD

oldnikkor

Mu-43 Regular
fotodiox

Any of the Fotodiox or other adapters with the little concentric circle shaped release levers should be avoided, in my opinion. They have been known to fail. Go for one with a better design, like a flat release tab or the Voigtlander/Metabones type triangular release.

JudyM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Fotodiox adapters

I can't speak for Fotodiox adapters for other mounts, but I now have two for Contax SLR lenses and they both work just fine. I have experienced none of the problems mentioned here, but I will keep them in mind as I pick up other lenses and adapters. Mine do not have the type of release described in a previous post, they have a small button. The lenses attach easily with no free play, and they detach just as easily. I guess time will tell, but I've changed lenses dozens of times with no issues. Even a heavy lens like my Zeiss 80-200 f4 T* Vario Sonnar holds securely, although I don't make a habit of letting it hang on the Gf1's lens mount.

dwig

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Fotodiox PK

I've recently begun using a Fotodiox PK-to-:43: adapter. This is the "consumer" low price version and not one out of the "pro" line.

Pro:
very good fit and exterior finish, mounts to body smoothly with no play or excessive tightness & lenses (I have 2) mount similarly, very much matching the feel I've experienced with Pentax bodies.

Con:
Massive internal flare from shiny black internal surfaces; no mask, no matte black paint, no anti-reflection ridges/grooves.

Out of the box, the adapter worked well with a SMC Pentax-M 50mm f/2.0, but nearly half the time my 100mm f/4 produced low contrast flare ridden images. I've experimented with adding a mask at the rear of the inside of the adapter with a 24mm round hole and adding matte material (currently just black construction paper held with double stick tape) to the inner surface of the narrower portion at the rear flange (main source of the reflections. Todays images with the 100mm are drastically improved. I'll replace the paper with a more permanent solution soon.

Bottom line: recommend with caveats. If you are crafty enough to create the mask and/or mattle black lining then its a good value.

UPDATE: further testing has proved the source of the flare is the shiny smooth interior. I'm now using a mask made from black felt with approximately a 22-24mm opening and have lined the inner face of the rear mount flange with the same black felt.

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I first bought a pentax-K adapter to 4/3rds from Roxsen eBay site (UK subsection), arrived a week later. Works perfectly, £10 inc shipping.
So I ordered their Pentax-K to micro-4/3rds at £22 inc shipping. Arrived 10 days later, very good.
I'm getting a few more bits and bobs. 42mm to P-K, lens back cap, remote. All very cheap.
When I e-mailed I actually got a reply in decent English so I'll just keep using Roxsen until they go expensive...

abcfob

New to Mu-43
Ebay FD to 4/3 adapter

I bought an ebay adapter to mount a Canon 50mm FD to my E-P2, and ran into some issues.

This is the closest picture i could find:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Notice the very small hole on the right side where the adapter would meet up with the camera. On my copy the hole was not deep enough. This ends up pressing the lens pin down on the camera mount. The only problem here is that pushing this pin down, with no "real" lens attached will have the camera disable the lcd view and the shutter button.

I fixed this by busting out the drill and making the hole deeper. Now it works. Fit isn't great, but good enough for now, until I decide to try something else.

addieleman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Ad
I bought a Cirrus MFT -> Nikon F adapter from China on eBay half a year ago. Mechanically it looked OK, but in use it generated a lot of flare which made it totally unuseable (tried with more than 10 Nikkors I had at the time). An example is shown here.

I sold it and bought a Novoflex MFT -> Nikon F adapter instead. This one works great, the Micro-Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 is a wonderful match to the G1.

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Leica M39/LSM/LTM to m43

Leica M39/LSM/LTM to m43

From ciecio7 on eBay

Pro: Very nicely made, beautiful fit lens-to-adapter, beautiful fit adapter-to-body; 3 hex head screws to allow alignment, and supplied with suitable hex wrench.

Con: Can't really find any save that it slightly "overshoots" infinity, but this may be because I'm using it with a lens of <28mm?;

[Ryszard doesn't list this adapter on ebay any more (but he had a few for sale when I emailed him)]

Rating: 9.9/10 - the cons are really minor

f6cvalkyrie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Hi,

somehow, I managed to miss this topic all together, although I am a frequent MF lens user.

'till today, I use adapters for the following lens mounts :
Nikon F, Konica Hexanon AR, Leica M, Leica LSM, Minolta, Exa/Exakta

I have positive thoughts about all of them, and I generally buy the least expensive ones I can find on Ebay. Sometimes, they take a little longer to arrive from HK or China, but in the end, even the "free postage" ones arrive.

One VVVVEEERRRYYY big caveat, however :

Stay away from the so called "Pro" adaptors from Fotodiox. I bought one for Nikon F mount, and tested with all my MF glass. Every lens shorter than 180mm could not reach infinity. Filed a complaint, received some useless advice, and convinced them to send me a new one. One they had "tested" on their Nikon lenses, they said. A new series of tests on my lenses showed that the replacement was only marginally better than the first one.
I tried to communicate further about this, but do not get my mails answered. Certainly, I am considered now a "difficult" customer, since I want adaptors that allow me to focus on infinity !

After reading here some more negative experiences from people buying other adapters from Fotodiox, I would simply advice you to stay away from Fotodiox adapters all together. Save yourself money and trouble, and buy the simpliest and cheapest you can find on EBay !

C U
Rafael

sparkin

Mu-43 Regular
Another thumbs up for Metabones. I have the Nikon and c-mount adapters, and both are high quality. The c-mount needed a little bit of a burr filed off, but that was easy. I'll try to get a picture or two of it attaching my ep2 to an Olympus stereomicroscope for the non-native lens thread.

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I have bought most of my adapters from RainbowImaging and have been satisfied. If you but them in lots directly from him you can negotiate a discount.

I am buying an adapted for each lens, not just each lens type. I didn't like being in the field and having to switch lens adapters as it doubled the amount of time to change lenses. I have Pentax, Nikon, Olympus and Minolta adapted lens mounts and the cost is less than getting the higher quality Voightlander, etc. adapters. And since they stay on all of the time some of the problems associated with the cheaper adapters such as poor lens release mechanisms is not a problem.

The obvious disadvantage is my lenses are all a bit longer since the adapter is on all of the time.

JCD

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi,

somehow, I managed to miss this topic all together, although I am a frequent MF lens user.

'till today, I use adapters for the following lens mounts :
Nikon F, Konica Hexanon AR, Leica M, Leica LSM, Minolta, Exa/Exakta

I have positive thoughts about all of them, and I generally buy the least expensive ones I can find on Ebay. Sometimes, they take a little longer to arrive from HK or China, but in the end, even the "free postage" ones arrive.

One VVVVEEERRRYYY big caveat, however :

Stay away from the so called "Pro" adaptors from Fotodiox. I bought one for Nikon F mount, and tested with all my MF glass. Every lens shorter than 180mm could not reach infinity. Filed a complaint, received some useless advice, and convinced them to send me a new one. One they had "tested" on their Nikon lenses, they said. A new series of tests on my lenses showed that the replacement was only marginally better than the first one.
I tried to communicate further about this, but do not get my mails answered. Certainly, I am considered now a "difficult" customer, since I want adaptors that allow me to focus on infinity !

After reading here some more negative experiences from people buying other adapters from Fotodiox, I would simply advice you to stay away from Fotodiox adapters all together. Save yourself money and trouble, and buy the simpliest and cheapest you can find on EBay !

C U
Rafael
how long it took to get there?

I bought three adapters (Nikon F, Leica M and M42) ten days ago....

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
I ordered my first adapter from Hong Kong and it took 14 days to get to my home in Virginia, USA.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom