1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Comments appreciated

Discussion in 'Scenic, Architecture, and Travel' started by NikonD300, Jun 2, 2012.

1. NikonD300

NikonD300 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    Let me know what you think!
    All with GF1 or GX1 and 20mm lens.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. AstraWlad

AstraWlad Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Impressive :)

3. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    "Mystery Man" stands out for me.

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    You caught some nice moments I think, although I'm not an expert on street photography. 1 comment though: all your pics are bit light, I'd prefer them a little darker, toned down until there are deep shadows as well. They look a bit washed-out now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    agree the images look a bit washed out for my tastes

also curious if the different croppings/aspect ratios are due to how you shot them or how you cropped in PP... overall feeling is that the compositions are a little weak

just my opinion

K

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I disagree. I think the images look higher key than most black and white I see, but I find that extremely refreshing and much better suited to my taste. Even though the images are in black and white they still look bright and vibrant, which is something most B&W photographers fail to capture.

The shadows and contrast are certainly deep enough, and I don't see the images as washed out at all. They just have a brighter mood than we are generally presented with in B&W. This is a good thing, not a bad one.

There is a pleasing greyscale to these images instead of the stark black-or-white contrast we usually see.

7. Panut

Panut Mu-43 Regular

Dec 25, 2011
    Finland
    Like Ned, I like the light look. It really stands out.
    I might have personally added a little bit of more contrast, but like on the other hand, the lighter contrast adds an impressionistic feeling.

Thanks to you, I will also start challenging myself about my own b&w low/high key decisions.

8. Kees

Kees Mu-43 Regular

Jun 30, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Kees Dignum
    Great shots.
    And I agree: I like this much better than the fashionably over-contrasty black & whites you usually see.

9. zpuskas

zpuskas Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Nice images. And since you asked, I would also like to see a darker image. These seem a little too bright to me.

10. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    All these images were post-processed in a particular way, and that's probably the reason why many users didn't quite like them saying that they're "too bright" or "washed out". The thing is, like there's no single focal length or aperture/shutter speed that "works" for every image, there's no single post-processing technique that works for everything. In darkroom, either digital or wet, you tweak each image individually to achieve a particular look that re-enforces the message that this particular photo conveys.

Yet in this case it seems that the whole bunch of photos were just fed to some sort of a preset and all processed with exactly the same adjustments. And quite distinctive ones, far from neutral. So most images don't quite work for me, but where this particular kind of processing works very well is in the Mystery Man! That's the keeper.

11. NikonD300

NikonD300 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    I'll allow Michael Reichmann to reply :
    " An old saying in photography has it that - "If your photographs aren't good enough, it's likely because you aren't close enough". This is often misunderstood to mean that one should be shooting with a long lens, or just doing close-ups. Not so. What is meant is that any photograph is of necessity about "something", and it is the photographer's task to hone the image so that it contains, to the greatest degree possible, only that which the photograph is intended to be about." What he means by "hone" is crop.

12. NikonD300

NikonD300 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    I do use Silver Efex for the BW conversion, but do try to individualize the conversion. My wife, who has a very good photo eye, also finds my images lacking in contrast. I'll keep working on it. Very helpful suggestions, all. Thanks!

I've increased the contrast and black in the images and they are vastly improved! I'll upload them when I have a chance.

13. troll

troll Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    By the way, I think the images are quite contrasty already, it's just the white point that set to something close to 255, midrange is moved to the right, and the black point is not that close to 0. But contrast is there, moving blacks to the left probably won't help much. My guess is that the overall "too bright" feeling is more because of the midtones pushed to the right and not because of the blacks being far from 0 cause they're not that far..

14. I generally like the high key look, but I would look at pulling down the end of the tone curve to deepen the blacks and shift some of the midtones. Super high contrast in street photography can be used to mask problems like misfocus, motion blur, or overexposure and has become the de facto "look". God knows I've done the same thing myself in the past. Shots processed like these require things to be done right in the camera.

15. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium

I am no stranger to cropping.... almost every picture i take gets cropped - i see it as a very important step in the whole process... particularly with street type photography.

without seeing your original uncropped images it is difficult to make any suggestion beyond my normal working method which is to crop at a consistent aspect ratio and to let the rule of thirds guide you.

oh and to stop letting Mr reichman do your talking for you..... he really isn't as important as he thinks he is :)

K

16. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
    My honest thoughts are wishy washy snapshots,but I won't say that because it sounds mean. There are folks on here that can give you pointers but I really think you just need to darken the images and get closer or crop to make the focal point larger in the image.

17. Neon

Neon Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2012
    North Wales,UK.
  18. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

A little too bright and very low contrast for my tastes, but i like the subject matter.
    You can still adjust the contrast and brightness if you like; a good rule of thumb for black and whites is to try and have something in the photo that is as Black as possible and something that is White.

19. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    These same photos were posted in two spots at almost the same time. It's probably more useful to stick to a single thread - it allows folks to respond more effectively. Right now, you have similar comments in two different places. It gets a bit confusing to follow.

20. NikonD300

NikonD300 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 24, 2011
    Yes, I realize that. It wasn't intentional. My mistake. I tried to delete one of the posts, but wasn't sure how to do it.