1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

comment, please; what makes this photo feel the way it does?

Discussion in 'Creative Corner' started by Mosca, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    It came out the way I wanted it to. How does it make you feel, looking at it, and why?

_6260873.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Mitchell Zimmerman

Mitchell Zimmerman New to Mu-43

Jun 8, 2010
    Palo Alto CA
    Wistful. Excluded. As though I were looking into a grand room that I was not allowed to enter. Or perhaps a circus atmosphere. Why? The lights, the shiny glow within the car, the shadows that look like silhouettes of people. The shabbiness of the metal (?) wall to the right suggests the area that the viewer is restricted to.
    This doesn't have an entirely clear meaning to me, so the photo may act, rorschach like, on the viewer.

3. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    28 views and 1 comment? There are no wrong answers!

The shot is exactly what I wanted it to be, but as an image, it feels completely different from when and where I shot it. I would say what I think, but I don't want to steer anyone.

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Don't take this the wrong way, but I am confused by the photograph. Because I'm confused, I'm having a hard time deciding on how I feel about it.

5. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    For me, I have to side with DJ.
    The eye travel is kinda confusing. I'm searching the image for detail and info but get lost..... sorry, please post your thoughts about this...and
    actually this is a good one for the Discussion Group...
    Shooter

6. hmpws

hmpws Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Hm, I feel like I am peeking into the next car?

7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    To be more specific. I see a good bit of wasted space, especially to the right of the photo where we are seeing outside the car you are in, but not the next car. But, I am also confused because we see some of the window frame. I think if the shot was wider where we were seeing more of the inside of the car we are taking the picture from, it presents as a different photo. If we say crop out the window frame then we have a different photo too. And then there is the shadow of you taking the actual photograph.

This looks like one of those pictures that is taken where we are trying to represent how we see something in real life, but most times, that does not make a good picture. This picture may represent exactly what you saw when looking out of the car. The problem is, our mind plays tricks on us and can filter out unwanted information or add information to give us context.

8. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    That doesn't bother me, it's just a photograph. It is exactly the one I wanted; I'm not taking it the wrong way.

The shot makes me feel anxious. I want to know why.

It was taken on the train, in the Magic Kingdom at Disney World, from one car into another as we left a small tunnel. I was watching the light, and I saw what is in the photo, and we rode around once more so I could get the shot.

I was very surprised to see it. It's not so much that I don't like the shot, it's that I don't like the feeling I get looking at it.

Djarum, I wasn't trying to capture the look in real life; I got what I wanted. That doesn't make it successful, either!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Well Mosca,
    You achieved what you set out to do....them image makes me anxious too.......
    You had me worried for a moment....... I'm glad your uncomfortable with the image...
    I'd be somewhat surprised if you weren't.
    Don

• Like Like x 1
  10. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    I'm confused as well. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at, and the reflections don't help. There's a few barely discernible objects, but none of them provoke any emotions in me. I suppose confusion is an emotion, so that's what I feel.

11. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    Oh, no, no; I didn't want it to come out anxious, it just did! It came out completely different from what I wanted, even though it was exactly what I wanted. That is why I put it in this section. It is important to know why.

I think that part of it is what Djarum and photoSmart42 alluded to. Around the margins there is a lot of empty space, and smooth understandable lines, and as the eye works toward the center the light becomes more jumbled and the images less distinct, piled on top of each other; it's as if it is a tangle of light, like a knot. At the same time, the eye is pulled both to the center and into the image, into the depth. It's visually unsettling, an eye-trap, like an itch that won't scratch.

12. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'm just getting here and I am with the "confused" and yes, even anxious feelings in response to this image. There are quite a few layers and reflections which reminds of an evil "fun house" at an amusement park...or as though it's an image from a bad dream... And then there's a feeling of claustrophobia slipping its way in here for me, too, as though I'm possibly being held hostage or being held on to... How's that for some arm chair Internet psychology?:wink:

Definitely an uneasy feeling...and yet, I wanted to "like it" because of the lights, the glass, and more.

13. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    To be honest, in spite of the confusion I can't help but keep looking at it to figure it out. I think you may have captured the photographic version of a Chinese finger trap =).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mosca

Mosca Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2010
    I work to create coherent images. My mind is relentlessly representational, as I like to say. This is very different from what I would normally shoot.

But there is also art in dissonance.

I really dislike this image, and at the same time I think it's beautiful. It truly jumped out at me as I was going through Lightroom.

15. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    You made a perfect "mise en abyme" (Mise en abyme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - the 2nd orthographic version "abîme" is an error of wikipedia) ; this is always very unsettling when shifting from 3D reality to 2D space. In my opinion, of course.

16. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    ah walt disney,............. this explains everything.

17. ChristopheG

ChristopheG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    I think it is the view of inside the train whish is going throw a forest, really you have great effort in this shoot.

18. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    Unfortunately I have no strong feelings about this photgraph. As others have said, I find it confusing and difficult to understand the context. Maybe it's because I wasn't there, but it fails to draw any emotional response from me. A truely great photograph will always trigger an emotion in the viewer, regardless of whether they were present at the time or not. That's not to say this is a bad picture, it just doesn't connect with me. But that's not the point of what you are asking. The point is, try as I might, I can't really help on this one I'm afraid. :smile:

19. shoenberg3

shoenberg3 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 7, 2010
    California
    I like the tones of this photgraph but agree the composition is rather confusing

20. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Here's my take:

The shinyness and reflection are in stark contrast to the elements surrounding, making it seem surreal, as though one is captured inside a fantastic train and about to head off to parts unknown.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.