1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Coming to Grips with the E-P5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kschles, Aug 3, 2013.

1. kschles

kschles Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2010
    Laurel, MD; USA
    Ken
    Why Olympus, Why? It's the little things that seem to bug me. Like the E-P5 grip. Yes, it's OK, and I suppose I can get used to it; but I also have the E-PL5 with the optional larger grip (originally made for the E-P3, it fits perfectly on the E-PL5). The E-PL5 feels so much better. Would it have killed Olympus to have made the grip a little bigger (see the GX7) or at least given us the choice of an optional larger grip? Sigh. Maybe the marketplace will eventually provide some relief.

Everything else about the E-P5 is great so far.

2. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    Olympus were never strong in the ergonomics department. I speak from experience and observation from reviews. But hey there are always the accessories like leather cases which I think serves a double purpose - better grip and protection.

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I haven't put it in my hands yet, but one of the strengths of the e-p3 was the changeable grip. All in the sake of wifi, I suppose.

4. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    One more reason the GX7 will outsell the EP5 3 to 1.

And did y'all notice how Panasonic angled the battery/card slot to fill the grip, so now the card and battery can be changed even when there is a quick release plate on the camera. ...Would have been nice if the battery had more capacity.

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Except for when they were.

OK, back on-topic ...

6. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Frank
    The grip isn't a little thing... it's a huge issue for me. The grip influences the way I carry and communicate with my camera. My lightweight rig is my constant companion, and I'll pick it up and hold it to my eye several thousand times a year. That has to be a comfortable action.... and from the moment I held an ep5, I realized it wouldn't be because of the tiny grip. I cancelled my pre-order that night, and am exploring other opportunities (nex6, fuji xe1, pany g7), but I'm hoping that someone comes out with an add on grip for the ep5 before I abandon the delicious Oly jpgs. I'm even encouraging 3rd party manufacturers to come up with a solution.

Good to hear. I hope I can join you as a fellow owner.

7. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    The more you shoot with ANY new camera (etc), the more comfortable you will become with it. It will eventually feel like an extension of your hands. I HATED the OM-D when I first bought it. Now everything about it feels right. That said, given the quality of files you're able to enjoy with the E-P5, I'd say get out and shoot with it more! :rolleyes:

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Not sure I agree with you. I shot with my E-P1 for over a year and never liked the grip. Got an E-PL2 and it was way more comfortable, even with losing an extra dial. The heavier the camera, the larger the grip needs to be, at least for me.

Getting to the E-P5, I think getting rid of the interchangable grip was a huge mistake. They could have put the WiFi somewhere else.

9. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    Funny how people differ. I really like the little grip. I liked it from the first time I held it back in may and now since early July thst I've owned it. Together with the thumb grip at the back and the front for my fingers it feels very good to me. So good I haven't bothered putting a strap on it.

10. enzodiac

enzodiac Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2012
    Sweden
    Andreas Fougner
    I dont like it either. It doesn't give me confidence holding the camera. In fact sometimes I have to hold it in the reverse hamburger grip and fire of with my thumb lol. I guess it depends on where we come from? I come from E-3 with batterygrip... something I could let hang from 2 fingers and be very safe with. E-M5 with grip was "good" but too small. Attaching big lenses left little room for the fingers around the grip.

Hopefully some 3rd party will create a deeper grip for the E-P5!

11. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    Grab a hockey puck, a hobby knife, some adhesive, and some gaffer's tape and go to town on the thing. If you do it right it'll be reversible.

12. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    Last 40 years with many MANY different cameras and I haven't drop any of those. Even the term "ergonomics" didn't exist in those days. Hard to tell how big issue it is for some, but if you don't buy because of that, it must be a serious issue. I guess I'm lucky to have big enough hands to keep my camera ON my palm so possible grip-or-not is not a big issue for me. Heck, I even managed to keep several Leica M's without a grip and without dropping any of them.

But like I said, I didn't have "ergonomics" either :biggrin:

13. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    I think the little grip is only a problem when carrying and manipulating the camera, and not a problem during eye-level shooting. Does this sound right to anyone?

14. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yes I agree... in fact if you have a sling then there's almost not problem:)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

15. -spam-

-spam- New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2013
    Brisbane,Australia
    I was surprised with the grip on the E-P5. Had been prepared to hate it but my long spindly fingers seem to be able to grip the camera quite comfortably.

To be honest though, the thing could not have a grip on the front as long as the thumb grip remained on the back. That thing is such a small part of the camera but it does so much to assist the ergonomics for me.

16. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Munich
    Ian
    Like this?
    [​IMG]

17. dejongj

dejongj Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 3, 2013
    Whipsnade, UK
    Jean-Paul
    Exactly same here. It makes it feel safe and secure to hold to me.

18. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yes.. Even though it is a bit shorter than the one on the E-M5 :smile:

19. htc

htc Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 11, 2011
    Finland
    Harry
    I'd like to be like Mr Hand because he's always perfect. Mr Ergonomics on the other hand newer :biggrin:

20. -spam-

-spam- New to Mu-43

Aug 4, 2013
    Brisbane,Australia
    Pretty much spot on, could almost pass as a photo of me if the hair was a tad darker :laugh1: