Coming Soon ..... Superb First Impressions of My New E-M10 vs My Old E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Robstar1963, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Just took delivery of an E-M10 - update to follow as to why this is (for me at least) is a better camera
    Points to cover in no particular order based upon my observations thus far:-
    1. What a Pleasant Surprise !
    2. Button Dial Settings and flexibility
    3. Ergonomics
    4. ECG1 Grip
    5. Focus Points
    6. Placement and Use of External Buttons
    7. EZ Lens - Size and Use - Outgoing 14mm Pancake ?
    8. Build Quality
    9. Size
    10. WiFi
    11. Niggles ? SD Card Slot Battery Compartment
    12. Built in Flash
    13. Image Stabilisation
    14. Video
    15. Viewfinder
    16. Weather and Dust Sealing (lack of)
    17. Who needs an E-M1 at Twice the Price ?
    18. Makes More Sense / Easier to Use ?
    19. Vs E-M5 E-M5 with Grip - E-M5 Replacement Should be Awesome ?
    20. Use and Set Up of Power Zooms
    21. Focus Peaking
    22. Use With Largest Lenses
    23. A Camera for all eventualities
    • Like Like x 2
  2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    The E-M10 replaced the E-M5 for me as well.
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    What's funny is that an essential feature for some (like weather sealing) is completely unimportant to others. I suspect that if I were buying now, I would also choose the M10 over the M5.
  4. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
    Only since purchasing a weathered sealed lens (12-40mm, f/2.8) have I wished for same feature in the camera. That said, I love my E-M10, even more since adding the grip. So, Robstar1963, agreed, who needs an E-M1? Well, I never say "never," so maybe one day...
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Looking at the EM10 specs and the reviews that have come out about it....I would probably have picked it up instead of the EM5 as well, had it been available for purchase. I was a good 6 months too early for the EM10, so the EM5 won out.

Still a great camera, that could do with a firmware update from Olympus though! :D
  6. pman

pman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2014
    It's one of those things that when you need it, you really need it. It's why I bought an E-M5 last week and not an E-M10.
  7. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    how about 3 vs 5 axis stab?
    • Like Like x 2
  8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Exactly. WR is a great example of this kind of feature. Video quality also comes to mind.
  9. flamingfish

flamingfish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2012
    Yup. I was indifferent to the weather sealing on the E-M5 until last week when I got caught in a rainstorm at the zoo. Luckily I had the 12-50 with me -- it wouldn't have been my first choice for shooting at the zoo, but at least it's weather sealed.
  10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I have an EM5 but no WR lenses, so I use a plastic bag.:smile:
  11. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I recently re-evaluated the OM-D range because I wanted to add a second OM-D body to my bag.

The lack of weather-sealing in the E-M10 was by itself fatal. The commonality of batteries between the E-M1 and E-M5 was a plus. Putting the card slot on the bottom of the camera was s surprisingly bad choice from an ergonomic perspective

The improved viewfinder of the E-M10 would be nice, though the E-M5 is very usable. The extra focus points in the E-M10 would be useless to me, since I always use a single AF point. In certain cases I will move the AF point from the center position, but I've never had an occasion where I wished for more AF points when doing so.

The E-M5's squishy (but weather-sealed) buttons were usefully improved in the E-M1. The crisp buttons of the E-M10 are nice but again lack of weather-sealing is a fundamental problem.

Wifi strikes me as a good idea that no one has yet implemented usefully. It's hard to imagine what camera designers are thinking when they design wifi features and interfaces. :(

At the end of the day, as is so often the case with m4/3, my strongest opinion is that we're lucky to have the choices we do. Features that are make/break for me are irrelevant or sort exactly the opposite way for others. Whether Olympus will keep the E-M5 in the line or not, or how soon they'll release an updated E-M5, is something that will be interesting to watch. :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009
    If you do a lot of video you might notice the difference because the two "missing" axis are primarily used then. And the EM10 does make up for the two missing ones digitally, so I have not noticed any significant difference going from the EM5/EP5 to the EM10.
  13. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    1/8000 shutter speed - for bright sunny days with fast wide open primes..... unfortunately neither the 5 or the 10 has this.
  14. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I do feel that 5 axis is better than 3, but the E-M10 has some great features like focus peaking, time composite build-in flash light, better refresh rate EVF, better LCD (green tint on E-M5's LED) are very nice use for me, so I decide keep both of them and ideal for less switch lenses.

EG1 Grip is very nice!
  15. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2013
    Ironic...I gave the em10 a whirl and just sent it back today. Prefer my em5.
  16. MuBear

MuBear Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2014
    Costa Rica
    I am awaiting your review, Robstar. I am still undecided between the EM5 and EM10. The EM1 is out of question, it's expensive and bulkier than the other two. Although the idea of weather sealing is nice, so far only a few lenses are weather sealed and most of the primes are not: 45mm, 25mm meaning I can not take them to camping to a tropical rainforest. Can you also comment on image quality? I find the pictures in the EM10 image thread to be nicer in general.
  17. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    1/8000 is often not sufficient for f1.8 and brighter on sunny days, one would be better served with an ND filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43
    • Like Like x 1
  18. MuBear

MuBear Mu-43 Regular

Aug 4, 2014
    Costa Rica
    May I know why you prefer the em5?
  19. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Mu-43 Regular

Nov 19, 2013
    Thinner. Fits in my front pocket with pancake lens mounted.
    ...until they make these with DSLR quality autofocus, I'll just stick with the em5.
  20. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    I took my EM5 on one of the San Fran bay tours. I knew going in that the camera would get wet and it made me not think a thing about it. I wouldn't have tried that with any other camera that I've ever owned.