1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Coming from the Nikon realm... Hello mu-43

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Vague, May 31, 2013.

1. Vague

Vague Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Hi all,

After spending almost 5 years with Nikon D90 -was my first SLR ever- then heading to D7100, which I sold for some mouthwatering cash that tempted me to upgrade to D600... But HOLD! That meant lots of cash to put as well as weight!

As a hobbyist/enthusiast, who's always busy with work made me think of getting lighter and fun camera (especially when my trip to Munich with family is due) that will give me quality photos with lens interchangeability option, without breaking my spine nor my bank account!

After reading alot about the famous OMD, I decided to check my luck in the MFT world by getting the E-PL5 with dual zoom kit (14-42 & 40-150) with a rebate offer.

I loved the system so far, and didn't regret moving to Olympus MFT at all!

I am considering a portraiture lens, and thinking of getting the Oly 45/1.8... What do you think if it?

Thank you all for having a nice MFT knowledge exchange, and please accept me as a new member among you :)

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome to MFT family and well done . EPL5 has the same señsor as OMD. I would strongly recommend 45 mm Oly lens and let me tell you , it's real gem.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    Definitely recommend the the 45mm. It's a must have in MFT land.

4. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Lisbon
    Welcome aboard! :drinks:

5. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Welcome aboard!!

The Oly 45mm is a gem, handles well, quick autofocus, fast enough to get subject separation and seriously sharp for not a huge amount if money. Along with the Pana 14mm one of best VFM lenses for the system. I've got both and love 'em.

The Sigma 19 and 30mm are two others but are perhaps a bit large on the Pen bodies and have a slightly slower start up speeds.

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I agree 100% - Two excellent lenses. Welcome! :smile:

7. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    IMHO 45/1.8 is a quintessential :43: portrait lens - it combines the best features of portrait lens - fast, nice bokeh, useful FL, fast AF, with everything that makes :43: popular - superlight and tiny, affordable.
    My opinion of it is: whatever your first lens for :43: is - 45/1.8 should be the second!

8. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Hey vague, welcome aboard. There are probably lots of us that have come the Nikon route. My Nikon life existed of a D60 > D5000 > D5100 > D300 > D300S > D7000 > D700 > D800, and a %^&*load of lenses to boot including two different copies of the Nikkor 200-400 f/4 VR (and I still have lenses left over from my film days too). So you can see what I've been through. You can also see in my sig some of what I still have, have acquired for Mu43, and is basically what I recommend (although there is some superfluous overlapping there).

Let's see some images of yours!

9. ranxoren

ranxoren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    Toronto, ON
    OT
    Welcome home!
    The 45mm is a jewel of a lens. Definitely recommended!
    Love mine.

10. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Welcome! You picked the right place for your gear.

I have thought of leaving mft a few times - I know, silly me - but the 9-18mm, the Panasonic 20 (small but outstanding), and the Oly 45 (especially this lens) always held me back. :wink:

11. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Welcome from a former Nikon shooter.

And I agree, the 45mm is essential.

12. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Welcome!

I somewhat echo his comments above as a former Nikon guy that had a lot of stuff, lol. Love mft stuff and had an E-M5 but prefer Panasonic handling. But either Oly or Panny can deliver.

13. dagaleaa

dagaleaa Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 4, 2011
    Naples, Fl
    Dawn
    the Oly 45 is my favorite lens....and next is the Panasonic 20mm....both are fantastic! Welcome to the world of micro 4/3s....I really enjoy photography and this system!!

14. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Vague, welcome aboard!

Regards,

Jim

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 mobile app

15. Vague

Vague Mu-43 Regular

May 20, 2013
    Thank you Bhupinder. And yes, thats why i picked the EPL5.. I am kinda confused of whether to get the Oly 45/1.8 or the pancake! I Like both portraits and scenery

Cheers ..:smile:

Thanks mf100, it is on top of my wishlist..

cheers..:smile:

Thanks barbosas ..

Cheers:wink:

Thanks WasOM3user .. Well.. you added more items to my wishlist.. in addition to the pancake, how do you list them from top (must have) to bottom?

Thanks RevBob

cheers :)

Thanks zettapixel, nice words :) .. So what are the must have primes in the :43: world ?

cheers :)

Thanks ranxoren .. it is no doubts .. will make sure to get one soon!

Cheers..:thumbup:

Thanks Hyubie... so how do you compare your pancake to the Oly 45? which one is the must have over the other?

cheers.:thumbup:

Thank slothead .. and thanks for the reply.. Ive been reading your posts whenever patrolling in the forum.. You are an asset to the Mu43 .. So do you miss your old days of being a Nikonian ? or you wished you had Mu43 back then?

I am currently playing with the camera with some non-serious experimental shots, but will upload some for sure.. (the ones I like I mean :D )

Cheers :2thumbs:

Thank you dagaleaa ... Any reasons for preferring the Oly? I just wanna know the differences with the Pan 20.

Thank you Jim ..

Cheers...:smile:

Thanks entropicremnants .. Hope you enjoy your OMD... seems the Oly 45 beats the pancake so far!

Thanks mnhoj... So how does it feel now after moving to the Mu43?

cheers :smile:

16. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Well Vague which lens first is a difficult question.....it may well be different for each photographer.

Also depends on what you intend longer term - matching my 35mm film days my preferred trio of primes will be 14, 25 and 45 (plus my old 90mm for macro). My wife's would be 12, 17/19 and 30. We also have a 40-150 in the family for longer use.

I was fortunate and got my 45mm for free during an offer with my OMD and kit lens but probably would have bought it anyway so this would rank first I suppose given the performance available.
    The 14mm is so small and discrete it almost looks lost on my OMD and almost makes it almost pocketable and because of this useful for street as well as landscapes so this would be my number two and the cost is so low it allows me to save funds for the 25mm f1.4!!

The sigma trio of 19/30/60 would be a low cost alternative set but you would probably be lacking a wide option and fast (<f2) option and are quite large on a pen body so I would rate these below the 14 and 45 on VFM terms.

There is nothing wrong with any if the lenses (just have a look at the image forums for superb images from all of them). You just need to decide which suits you.

17. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome! I am a very long time Nikon guy. The 45mm is a great lens.

18. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Welcome, I'm getting my 45 and 9-18 this week.
    The 45 is a must-have.

19. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Vague, I do at times miss the D700 (fastest in my experience) and the D800 (oodles of wonderful resolution), but one cannot carry all these cameras and their lenses at the same time, and in fact the OM-D is a happy medium of resolution and speed at much less cost and weight, and when one considers the weight and size of the Mu43 lenses, the system is amazingly small and light (almost too much so!).

20. elandel

elandel Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 16, 2010
    Milan, Italy
    Agree even if I kept my D700 with a bunch of lenses, I just could not sell it. I don't know why. Maybe sentimental thing.:biggrin: