Coming from an X100...

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by Shu, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Shu

Shu New to Mu-43

Mar 5, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Hello all, first post here, looking forward to many, many more. I'm a Canon user with some great, pro-level equipment, but have been in the hunt for a fun, easy-to-use and capable smaller supplement for awhile. I've tried the Fuji X cameras, which I absolutely loved, but found so darn quirky and often times maddening to use. I'm trying my hand at an OM-D to compare!
  2. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    please do; I'm considering getting a used X100 for my 35mm angle of view instead of a 17mm micro 4/3 lens. What quirks didn't you like about it? I was hoping that latest firmware updates would solve its autofocus problems....
  3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Welcome to the forum, Shu!

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Depending on what you are looking for, the EPL5 (or EPM2) are also great. They are so freakin' small, and with the modular EVF, you can choose to use them with or without.

But for you, the OMD might be "freakin' small" anyway, especially if you are used to shooting 1Ds or something.

Enjoy, and post some pics!
  5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Welcome, Shu!

I've not gone the Fuji route, though I did flirt with the excellent NEX series... although the lenses weren't great generally -- nor were there many of them overall. Also I found the control scheme crazy-making and needed something with more direct control. I fooled around with mft cameras, liked them and ended up with an E-M5 also.
  6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Coming from Canon, I'm loving the E-M5. It's not quite as much an extension of my hand as my 5DII is (slightly fiddlier, much, much, much smaller) but it is very, very close. Most of that is down to less than 1 year vs 10 years with Canon :)

I still need to try out an E-PL5 / E-PM2; on paper, the user interface/controls look like they would annoy me to no end (too little direct control/too much touchscreen required), but maybe it's not as bad as I think...
  7. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I have an E-PL5 as my second, slightly smaller body and I like it. Yes, it's very different but I've shot an E-PL1 and E-PM1 so I am used to the dance.

One thing to make use of is "MySets". I have several: one for straight single shot, one for shooting HDR brackets, one for in the studio with radio strobes, and so forth.

The nice thing on an E-PL5 that I WISH the E-M5 had is the ability to assign a position on the mode dial to a MySet (like Canon's C1, C2 and so forth). I don't use "Scene Mode" and I do a fair bit of HDR so I have the "Scene" position on the mode dial set to MySet 2 -- which is my HDR setup.

It's a nice camera, and will scare subjects less doing candids than the E-M5 might in some cases. They all have their uses but of course the E-PL5 is more fiddly.