Coming back to Olympus M 4/3's

So Thankful

Mu-43 Veteran
I have been away for a few years. I had switched brands thinking I needed the larger sensor. Honestly I saw very little difference in image quality, but a huge difference in weight and size. I found myself using that equipment far less than I did when I had shot with Olympus. So I decided to simplify and come back. Looking to get an E-M10 MK III and a few lenses. I am keeping it small and light. Hope I can contribute to this forum again!

iv1984

Mu-43 Rookie
Honestly, go for the EM10 mkII over the mkIII. It is the only OMD where the new model has lost features and become more amateur like. I've had both and stuck with the mark II. Or get the EM5 mkII if you can find a deal

So Thankful

Mu-43 Veteran
Honestly, go for the EM10 mkII over the mkIII. It is the only OMD where the new model has lost features and become more amateur like. I've had both and stuck with the mark II. Or get the EM5 mkII if you can find a deal
I keep wavering between the two. I hear many folks say what you are saying.

lucanus81

Mu-43 Regular
I’d suggest to wait a month when the M5 Mark III will be announced. Basically you’ll get an M1 Mark II into an M5 body :)

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I keep wavering between the two. I hear many folks say what you are saying.
and they speak true. the user interface had a huge downgrade. you miss remote control and have less customizable buttons, and pay more on top of it.

e-m5ii and panasonic g81 would be my pick of choice.
not really hyped about e-m5iii, unless it has usable af-c, which i doubt.

So Thankful

Mu-43 Veteran
and they speak true. the user interface had a huge downgrade. you miss remote control and have less customizable buttons, and pay more on top of it.

e-m5ii and panasonic g81 would be my pick of choice.
not really hyped about e-m5iii, unless it has usable af-c, which i doubt.
I had the E-M5 and the E-M5 II before I left Micro 4/3. Both were great cameras. Perhaps a E-M5 II would be a better choice than the E-M10 offerings. I was trying to go cheap. Knowing myself though, I probably shouldn't.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
The EM10-mk2 is also small. I found the controls kinda cramped, and I have small hands. I prefer the control layout/spacing on the EM1-mk1.

But, when I want a small/light camera to carry, I will grab the EM10, rather than the EM1.

So you have to prioritize.

lucanus81

Mu-43 Regular
From what I have seen it was supposed to be announced in August. Are we sure it is coming?
I am pretty sure of that. On 43rumors they reported a new camera was registered. That has to be the M5.3. Rumours say it’s an M1.2 in a smaller body, which would be great. If they still release in 2019 (almost 2020) an M5 without PDAF, then something must be wrong at Olympus.

My view on this since I recently got a leftover brand new complete with factory warranty E-M10ii vs paying close to 50% more for a new E-M10iii or almost double price for a used PEN-F/E-M5ii is that:

vs the E-M5ii
a. if you do not need the weather sealing or do not have/intent to get matching WS lenses
b. if you do not have/intend to get higher quality lenses to actually use the hi-res capture mode
c. if you do not need the extra customization options/buttons and ability to add matching battery grip
d. the E-M10ii controls feel ok in the hand and not too cramped
then I do not see why you should get the E-M5ii considering the price difference.

I am pretty sure Olympus realized this at some point and they rushed out the 4K capable but dumbed down E-M10iii to ease the pressure on the E-M5ii.

vs the E-M10iii
a. if you do not need the 4K video or the one more jpeg filters
b. if the minor AF and RC flash differences play no role in the choice
c. you prefer extra customization vs simplified controls
then the E-M10ii is the obvious choice even more so given the price difference

vs the PEN-F
a. if you are not into the fetish worshiping that the PEN-F body invites to your senses
b. if you are not into deep SOOC JPEG customization
c. you do not have/intent to get higher grade lenses to give the higher performance sensor a chance to deliver that 1/3 stop better performance it seems to be able to deliver and match the body haptic quality
then the E-M10ii seems again the obvious choice to my eyes

and get a new one as the price of a new one with full warranty coverage more than worths it vs a used one given the cost of out of the blue minor repairs costs

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I had the E-M5 and the E-M5 II before I left Micro 4/3. Both were great cameras. Perhaps a E-M5 II would be a better choice than the E-M10 offerings. I was trying to go cheap. Knowing myself though, I probably shouldn't.
Just what I was going to recommend, the E-M5.2.

From what I have seen it was supposed to be announced in August. Are we sure it is coming?
It's well overdue, but yes it is coming. There are at least two features that might be worth waiting for.
  1. 20mp sensor with on sensor phase AF like the E-M1.2
  2. Exposure compensation in manual with auto ISO. Coming from Nikon it's one of the things I was happy to see added.
@MichailK has a pretty good summery. I'd add that the grips on the E-M5.2 and E-M10.3 feel a bit better in the hand IMHO than the E-M10.2. And the weight may play into it depending the lenses you're looking at.

BPCS

Mu-43 Regular
Welcome back... there are others as well who have chased the FF/ APSC greener grass and come back. For me, the combo of portability, IQ and most important, fun factor, keeps me happy with m43.

Thai-Mike

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Michael
I shot Nikon, went for the Olympus em10ii. Went back after a couple of years to Nikon, sold it got a Sony A6300 and sold it as well. Few month ago I got back to olympus but thi stime I got the EM5ii cos it has so many advantages over the EM10 ii. Weather sealing, higher shutter, focus stacking in camera, High resolution, to name a few. I can not tell you how happy I am now. I made the right choice.

So Thankful

Mu-43 Veteran
At this point I think I am going to wait and see what the E-M5 III has to offer.
I have looked at the Panasonic G9 but it is a bit to big. Nice camera though. I just like the Oly portability.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom