1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Coming back to m43

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by RickVaughn, Nov 3, 2013.

1. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    I miss the Oly 45 - the first interchangeable lens I ever purchased - and am set on returning to the m43 system. I've been looking hard at the G6 for its form factor, articulating touch screen and wifi/nfc. I continue to read average reviews regarding its image quality with the "old" sensor and wonder if a refurb EM5 would be a better choice? I would like to pair the O45 with either the O17 or P20 to be followed later by one of the long zooms as a three lens kit. Okay, maybe the O60 macro too :smile:

Any thoughts?

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Used E -M5s are going for very good prices at the moment and it's a superb camera. I'm sure it's a better choice than the G6.

3. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I just saw an EM-5 going for £420 on eBay, which is less than a new G6. The EM-5 will give you stabilisation with the prime lenses as well. Unless you want to shoot video (which the G6 excels at), I would go EM-5 and then add a grip to improve the ergonomics.

4. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    I did hold on to my EPL1 when I sold off my other gear so I think I'll pull the trigger on a black 45mm until I can make up my mind on the new body.

5. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    What are you reading in regards to the G6's "old" sensor? From what I can gather most reviews tend to conclude it's quite adequate, not top of the line, but no where near bad.

6. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Just that it's not a real step up from the G5 compared to the newer Oly cams and the GH3/GX7. Also that it's recommended to shoot raw as the jpegs may not be up to snuff. I don't do a ton of pp work so that may be a deal breaker for me.

7. RickVaughn

RickVaughn Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    I suppose I could be swayed by some sooc jpegs using the 17 or 20 and the 45 if anyonecares to share?

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Ah I get it. I shoot RAW so when I consider cameras, JPEG performance never even enters the equation. I have the G5 and the JPEGs are nothing to write home about, which is a shame because the G5 RAW files are quite capable.