1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Coming back to m43, trying to decide what to get.

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by aroth87, Jan 15, 2014.

1. aroth87

aroth87 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2012
    Johnson County, KS
    I had a G3 a few years ago but sold it to buy a D300 when I was assisting a wedding photographer on a regular basis. In fact, my wife also got a D300 so we've got two of them. Now we aren't doing weddings much any more. I just got back from hiking off-trail in Arkansas with my D300 and a couple of lenses. I mostly use my camera for hiking now and have had enough of its weight so I'm planning to sell it and come back to m43.

As I said I had a G3 and liked it quite a bit. However, the G5 looks like it has some nice improvements like the grip and rocker switch. The problem is my budget is going to be limited to whatever I can get for my D300, a P&S, and some odds and ends. I'm guessing in the $500-$600 range. When I had my G3 I only had the kit lens and used adapted Nikon lenses quite a bit on it. I wasn't a huge fan of the kit lens though, I'm more of a prime shooter. This time around I'm planning to get the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 but I'm having a hard time deciding what to spend the rest of my money on. I could probably afford the G5 with the kit lens as well but if I went with a G3 body I could get a Sigma 30mm. The most used lens on my D300 is a 50/1.8 AI so I like a slightly longer than normal FOV which is why I find it appealing. However, I'm going to be giving up the ergonomic improvements of the G5 to afford it. So I guess my question is this: would you be content with the handling of the G3 and get the Sigma 30mm or take the better ergonomics of the G5 and be content with the kit lens?

Adam

2. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    Seeing as there isnt significant IQ improvement with the G5, i would rather have the G3 and the extra lenses. I shot the G3 for a couple of years and I dont find the ergonomics to be bad. I used it hiking and climbing a bunch, and recently upgraded to a GX7 for the IQ improvement and added funcionality. Plus its a camera you have had and used. Unless you interacted poorly with it the first time around, that would be my personal recommendation.

Unless you are dead set on an evf, there are probably some PEN series cameras others make recommend and may fit your needs. I have always gravitated towards panasonic bodies though.

3. ramseeker

ramseeker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Grand Island, NY
    Jim
    Assuming you have $500, I would find a G5 and get the 14 AND the 30 and still be under budget. You should be able to pick all this up for less than $500 with a bit of shopping around. The G5's can be had for about $200.00, the P14 for about $150.00 and the Sigma 30 for $100-ish. These are the prices I paid recently for this kit.

4. pisanoal

pisanoal Mu-43 Regular

Oct 29, 2012
    I recant my comment. I didnt know G5's were that inexpensive. You wouldnt be saving much by getting the G3.

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    G3 bodies are cheap. I'd get that with the 14mm and 30mm. You'll be set with a good two prime lens combination.

6. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    isn't the G5 rocker switch mostly for zooming Panasonics power-zooms? (never had a G5 so I might be missing other uses for it)
    If that's the case you wouldn't really get much use out of it with primes.

Both the 14mm and 30mm are great lenses. Maybe go for those first and see which camera you can get for your remaining budget...

7. aroth87

aroth87 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2012
    Johnson County, KS
    pisanoal, I'm pretty set on having the EVF built in. I found trying to shoot adapted lenses just using the rear LCD cumbersome and I plan on using my Nikon lens on it quite a bit. I also tried out the Pens the first time around and didn't really like how they felt in my hand. The only real complaint I had with the G3 was that the lack of grip made it a little uncomfortable to hold for long periods of time. It wasn't a deal breaker by any means but the G5 seems to address that one little problem I had.

ramseeker, I've been basing my numbers on the cheapest I've seen the G5 body which is about $250. If I can find it for closer to $200 its a no brainer! Especially if I can find a 30mm for around $100. While I haven't been looking long I haven't seen any used Sigmas on Ebay but a quick search showed they pop up here from time to time.

I'm not in a huge rush so if those kind of deals are floating around I'm willing to wait for them.

Edit: Tilman Paulin, according to the manual it can be set to either adjust exposure compensation in A or S mode or change aperture in M mode. I'd welcome that over having to click the wheel to adjust them. But the main thing for me is the more substantial grip.

Adam

8. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

The rocker on the G5 can be programmed to be used for exposure compensation, which makes it a very well placed button / dial (rocker I guess I should call it yes) for quick and easy adjusting of that value.

9. Tilman Paulin

Tilman Paulin Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 10, 2013
    Dublin, Ireland
    ah, that's pretty handy indeed!

10. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I'll mostly echo what was said above: with a little bit of shopping, you can easily get a Panasonic G5, Panasonic 14mm, and Sigma 30mm. Used prices are very reasonable on all of those bits. Those two lenses will go a long way, and you can still use that Nikon glass as well.

And I absolutely recommend getting the G5 above the G3. There were numerous improvements, although IQ is similar. IMO, you really shouldn't be considering the G3.

11. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    good glass will carry from body to body so if I had a tight budget I would put more in good glass so later on you don't have to also rebuy glass

reason cheap kit lens are cheap and hard to dump vs say a ply 75 or the panny 25 1.4 which tend to hold value or even the CV options holding value

12. aroth87

aroth87 Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 3, 2012
    Johnson County, KS
    Thanks for the advice everyone! I just listed my D300 so we'll see how much I get for that and then I'll go on the prowl for deals.
    Also, I'm glad to hear the 30mm is well regarded. All the threads I found seemed to praise it but I don't have much experience with 3rd party glass apart from a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 for my Nikon.

Adam

13. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    All three Sigma lenses are good, but the 30mm has the advantage of being very small, while the 60mm is insanely sharp (one of the sharpest lenses I've ever seen!).

I recently bought the G3 for about $150. These days I wouldn't pay any more than that for this body. If you want something worth $200-250, the G5 or EPM2 are by far the best value in this price range.

14. Bl0at3r

Bl0at3r Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2012
    Essex, UK
    Alan
    Agreed, you should look to the g5 rather than the g3.

I have bought, sold, bought a number of bodies and if I buy the same one again rather than trying to go for the improved model I feel a bit let down - there is nothing new to seem worth while...

15. ramseeker

ramseeker Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Grand Island, NY
    Jim
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I loved my old G3, only problem with it was the lack of eye sensor.

When switching from EVF to screen it had to be done manually, a real pain.