Coming back! Looking to get the GH3, but which lens?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by agoglanian, Jul 10, 2013.

1. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    Hola Amigos, I've been absent for some time since I sold my GF-1 a long time ago. As the digital landscape has been changing, I too am looking to change and adapt. I'm progressively moving more and more towards filmmaking, and most of my stills work is being handled by the Fuji X-System and a Ricoh GR. Paid work is done with my Canon system.

I intend to sell one of my 5DmkII bodies to fund the purchase of a GH3 body, but I'm trying to decide which lens would be versatile to start with? I fully intend to buy the metabones EF to MFT adapter when that becomes available so I can use my EF lenses for filmmaking. I was leaning towards getting the 20mm again as I really liked it with my GF-1, but whatever I get I would like it to have a decent manual focus ring.

It will be weird to run three separate systems, but I think I'll be able to manage.

2. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Definitely not the 20mm for video as it is too loud when AF'ing. You probably want image stabilizing, so the oly lenses might be out. The Oly 17 1.8 or 12/2 have a mechanically linked focus, tho. Ideal would probably be the 12-35 but it's pricey. Maybe a 14-42 PZ and 45-175 PZ panasonic would fit best for video. Panasonic is supposedly coming out with a new 20mm 1.7 that might be a better focuser, but the 25mm PL is stellar and quiet, although not OIS and focus by wire.

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    If budget is not an issue, go for the Voigtlanders.

4. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    I'm asking about this, because I don't know. But aren't the optics of a Voigtlander overkill for video?

5. voltcontrol

voltcontrol Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2013
    The Panasonic 25mm 1.4 could be an excellent choice.

Cameralabs put it down well in their review (I've added the link so you can find the video):

" the lens is dominated by a wide manual focusing ring that's perfectly damped and silky smooth in operation. It feels like using one of Canon or Nikon's top-end professional lenses, and after a few moments pushing the ring back and forth it's hard to return to the stiffer and scratchier manual focusing rings of cheaper models like the 20mm f1.7. It’s particularly satisfying to turn when pulling-focus on movies and you can see an example below. "

Panasonic Leica 25mm f1.4 review | Cameralabs

6. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

You're generally not going to autofocus for video unless its events and in such a situation, you'd usually have a camcorder anyway. I've heard the 20mm looks great for video. As for the Voigtlanders, videographers love them for their all manual construction and beautifully rendered imagery.

7. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I'm not a big video guy but Voigtlanders are beautiful lenses for still and video regardless. No such thing as overkill when it comes to good quality glass.

The 17.5mm is actually optimized for video, with a click-less aperture feature.

Found this on youtube

Manolo in Hong Kong, april 2013 - YouTube

8. agoglanian

agoglanian Mu-43 Regular

Nov 23, 2010
    Laguna Niguel, CA
    Abram Goglanian
    The two voigtlanders would be ideal lenses, but to start with my budget likely won't cover it. I might be able to swing the 12-35 if I call in a favor, but care most about image quality.

I will naturally shoot some stills with the GH3, but the big focus for my purchase of it will be for the video aspects, as I am well covered for still photography.

I am aware that Panasonic has released a mkII version of the 20mm f/1.7 but what I don't know is has anything changed? I can live with the 40mm focal length until I can get the metabones adapter, then I'll have access to all my EF primes (20/35/85/135) so I'll be well covered for low light work.

9. Artorius

Artorius Mu-43 Regular

What you might also want to look into for video is vintage glass. Takumars, Konica Hexanons, Nikons, etc. People swear by old Nikons. I myself like Takumars. And some people like vintage Zeiss.

10. Tako.dero

Tako.dero New to Mu-43

Jul 10, 2013
    I got a 25mm slr magic with a gh3. I think for an all purpose lens I would be more happier with the 17 or 12 compared to the 25. 12mm is the cheapest (slr magic), the slr magic 25mm is cheaper then the nokton and from reviews its also sharper. The 17.5 is expensive.
    If you order a slr magic from their site ask for ems shipping, they didn't charge me customs fee (I live in canada though).
    Heres
    12mm [ame=http://vimeo.com/32520456]Tokyo Storm on Vimeo[/ame] [ame=http://vimeo.com/30350710]2020 (Noktor HyperPrime 12mm F1.6 on the GH2) on Vimeo[/ame]
    17.5mm [ame=http://vimeo.com/41588831]Voigtlander NOKTON 17.5mm F0.95 : GINZA at night on Vimeo[/ame]
    25mm [ame=http://vimeo.com/27365630]Life goes on... Goes to London... With Nokton on Vimeo[/ame]
    I like the 12mm a lot I think it will be my next purchase.