Comfortable, low key hand strap for the OM-D

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by bobby_t1, Aug 29, 2012.

1. bobby_t1

bobby_t1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Edit: I should have said "wrist strap" not "hand strap"

I was a big fan of a full shoulder strap when I had my D7000, but for the OM-D, it is overkill. I'm now looking for a wrist strap, especially since I'll be carrying it mostly in a messenger bag when I'm traveling in a few weeks (back at home, I'll likely use the thin Artist & Artisan strap I have).

I've been searching the archives and found some suggestions, but most of them seem so large and unwieldy. And for for the life of me, I can't figure out why the Gordy straps (gordy's camera straps) are so popular. Admittedly, I've never used one, but it doesn't seem like it'd be comfortable to dangle the camera occassionally from your wrist and in terms of "compactness", the leather seems like it'd be thicker than you'd want. I'm not even factoring cost in since I don't mind spending money for high quality accessories.

When I think of a handstrap, I thought of something more rope like, perhaps silk or paracord since it'd be more comfortable and easier to bundle up when I am stuffing the OM-D into a smaller camera bag like the Think Tank Hubba Hubba Hiney or Domke F-5XB. I'm not concerned about helping my grip when holding the camera (which is why I'm not a fan of the Olympus strap). The wrist strap to me, is something of a safety precaution in case I drop the camera.

1) If you are a fan of a Gordy's strap, make your case and turn me into a believer :)

2) If you agree with me on what a wrist strap should be, what have you found?
  2. bobby_t1

bobby_t1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 22, 2012
    Which strap is that? Look perfect!
  3. Robve

Robve New to Mu-43

Aug 29, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Wii wrist strap as temporary solution

That looks like a nice strap. I just got my OMD about a week ago and also not a big fan of the strap that came with the camera. I did want to have some safety net in case I accidentally drop the camera.... so I currently borrow a wrist strap from one of our old Wii controllers..
  4. stingx

stingx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2012
    Weird, NJ
    Hugh Douche
  5. Rig Vader

Rig Vader Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    I have Gordy's wrist strap and I find it very comfortable. At first it was pretty stiff and the thickness of the leather made it not so comfortable. But then I spent a little bending, twisting and limbering it up (take it off the camera) and now it's very comfortable.

If you were to get the version with the eye-ring, I would attach it to the existing strap lugs, otherwise the the strap can get in the way due to the placement of the lugs and the thickness of the leather. Ideally you would get the one that attaches with some string. I have the version with the eye-ring and regular size. It's almost too small for me and I don't have big hands. So you might want to go up a size.
  6. Rig Vader

Rig Vader Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Btw. I use it on a silver OMD. Dark brown leather with gray string looks pretty sweet :)
  7. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Yes. Here are a couple I am currently using:

The one on the Canon G12 is just a length of paracord, knotted, and with a sliding cord lock.

The leather one is part of a bigger system. It attaches using a quick-release rifle sling swivel. I also have a couple of sling/glide straps and a conventional neck strap, all of which can be quickly attached and detached using this system.

I have another quick-release wrist strap, presently AWOL, that is made from 1" tubular nylon webbing. This webbing is extremely soft and comfortable, though a little bulky and insanely stronger than needed for a wrist strap.

These things are easy to make. If you want split rings for attachment to the camera lug, check any large fishing tackle store for stainless steel ones. I have a package of 144 bought at Cabela's for $4-5 that will last me forever.
  8. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    You could check out Luigi straps. Handmade Italian leather, some of the nicest I've ever seen. Soft,supple, and a bit pricey, but very well made.
  9. Oopsydaisy74

Oopsydaisy74 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2010
    Bronx, NY
  10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I have a Gordy's strap that came with a used camera that I purchased. It is a bit stiff and the narrow leather is not that comfortable. I made my own from an old belt - the strap is somewhat larger and wider than the Gordys, but very comfortable for my large hands.