Comet Lovejoy

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by wanderenvy, Jan 12, 2015.

1. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    This is a stack of 9 images taken with the E-M10 and Oly 75mm. Processed the frames in 'regim' but couldn't get it to auto-align them or spit out a file (program hangs). So aligned manually, ran regim and then merged the intermediate regim output files using pixelmator.

ISO 1600, f/1.8, 3.2s per frame with automatic dark frame subtraction.

Seeing wasn't that great, but not bad for a quick result. I also got a 60 frame time lapse, will try to post that later. ~W

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi Wanderenvy, great pic! I also use Regim to stack pictures and I have noticed that it doesn't really work if you have the noise reduction feature on in the camera. Do you encounter that problem?

3. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012

I can't give you an authoritative response as this is the first time I am playing with Regim. I did notice that the final stacked image (which I couldn't save due to Regim hanging) wasn't showing the increased dynamic range over individual pictures that I wanted to see.

Also, I didn't get a chance to capture frames with "noise reduction off" before the clouds came in, so there isn't a baseline for comparison. Hopefully, will get a chance for a second attempt in the next few days.

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Lovejoy on A&E! - BBC for those in Britian. I loved that show.

But seriously, that looks pretty cool and worth all the work you had to do on it. Much better than the few attempts I have done with astrophotography.
  5. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Per Häggström
    Nice one above! I add a couple to this thread as Lovejoy passes close to the Pleiades now.

17mm f1.8, Lovejoy is below to the right of the Pleiades. (10 sec, ISO1600)

75mm f1.8 Shows Lovejoy closer below the Pleiades (single frame, 4 sec, ISO6400)

• Like Like x 1