1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Comet Lovejoy

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by wanderenvy, Jan 12, 2015.

1. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    This is a stack of 9 images taken with the E-M10 and Oly 75mm. Processed the frames in 'regim' but couldn't get it to auto-align them or spit out a file (program hangs). So aligned manually, ran regim and then merged the intermediate regim output files using pixelmator.

ISO 1600, f/1.8, 3.2s per frame with automatic dark frame subtraction.

Seeing wasn't that great, but not bad for a quick result. I also got a 60 frame time lapse, will try to post that later. ~W

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 5
  2. georgian82

georgian82 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 17, 2014
    Hi Wanderenvy, great pic! I also use Regim to stack pictures and I have noticed that it doesn't really work if you have the noise reduction feature on in the camera. Do you encounter that problem?

Cheers!

3. wanderenvy

wanderenvy Mu-43 Regular

May 11, 2012
    Hi,

I can't give you an authoritative response as this is the first time I am playing with Regim. I did notice that the final stacked image (which I couldn't save due to Regim hanging) wasn't showing the increased dynamic range over individual pictures that I wanted to see.

Also, I didn't get a chance to capture frames with "noise reduction off" before the clouds came in, so there isn't a baseline for comparison. Hopefully, will get a chance for a second attempt in the next few days.

~W

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

253361d96cb3371b1b4bc862fa30a2dbec9e1f1a.
    Lovejoy on A&E! - BBC for those in Britian. I loved that show.

But seriously, that looks pretty cool and worth all the work you had to do on it. Much better than the few attempts I have done with astrophotography.

5. PeHa

PeHa Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 12, 2013
    Uppsala, Sweden
    Nice one above! I add a couple to this thread as Lovejoy passes close to the Pleiades now.

17mm f1.8, Lovejoy is below to the right of the Pleiades. (10 sec, ISO1600)
    [​IMG]

75mm f1.8 Shows Lovejoy closer below the Pleiades (single frame, 4 sec, ISO6400)
    [​IMG]

//Per

• Like Like x 1