1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Come

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jjviegas, May 28, 2013.

1. jjviegas

jjviegas Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2013
    Madrid, Spain
  2. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    this is a really nice idea and nicely caught.
    I think there re two things working against it: the left side of the image doesn't do anything but hurt the tension between hand and child and the colors do the same.

Converting to BW and balancing the greys to maximize the impact of hand and child produced what I think is a stronger image.

This below was roughly and quickly done as an example.

8864317020_42b1c379c0_olll.

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Liked the original better, though I do agree, the hand is not as strongly evident as one might like.

edit: I also like the square crop. Maybe tighten the crop to reduce the legs above, the get arm coming out of the corner more, but keeping the child's head in the middle. Just a thought. Not on my photo computer, otherwise I'd give it a go.

Q on the legs -- was the intentional? there are so many different legs, but all cropped the same, it's an interesting element, but doesn't seem to work with the rest of the picture, just IMO.

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Need the "after" picture here :biggrin::tongue:

5. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Perhaps an explanation why you like the original better would help the maker understand?

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The child being centered is a nice element, and draws your attention to her. Being off-centered weakened the subject for me. One might argue the subject is the hand and the connection. I think it's the child. Seeing her in her universe, then the intrusion of the hand and the command stated in the picture title. You can almost see the intrusion into her world, but not right away. Kind of how I imagine the child. Day dreaming, and only maybe after the 2nd or 3rd "come" commands, then she realizes she's to go with mom.

A child's world (at least in the western tradition of the last 50 years) is ideally one of color and fun. Turning it B&W just to get a focus on the hand loses it. Lastly, I'm not sure the portrait crop adds anything, as it decenters the child while keeping in the distracting legs. The portrait crop also cut out some of the colorful chairs, which, IMO, are not a distraction, but part of her little world.

Hence, I like the original better, and would only explore a tighter crop, keeping the centering and aspect ratio stable. Or maybe if a tighter crop doesn't do much, put in some vignette to further highlight the child and de-emphasize the legs.

Now that I think further about it, I would want to explore a strongish vignette -- including brightening the center.

7. jjviegas

jjviegas Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2013
    Madrid, Spain
    Even tho it's my photo, I couldn't say better than this about it, thanks! You sure got the point.

This was an one second shot, I saw the kid on those colorful tables and went to snap a shot, at the same moment her mother put her hand and people started passing by so I went away. But that was the idea, the kid on her colorful world like isolated from the rest of the mess (like all those legs at the end). That's why she was centered and it was in colors (Portra simulation intent). Her mother's hand was an unexpected added plus to the shot.

After reading all these valuable comments and critics, here's the only change I'd do to it, a crop out of standard sizes to remove those legs mentioned by WT21 and impossible to avoid on at the time of shooting.

P5263242-2.

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Your message was received loud and clear!

Different idea: Maybe explore a 16:9 crop, but keeping the child centered??? Just thoughts. It's so fun to play with cropping.

9. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Margaret
    I *really* like this. Lovely!

--
    Sent from my phone. Please pardon my brevity!