1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Come on, Irene!

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by John M Flores, Aug 29, 2011.

1. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Anyone else take photos of Irene and her aftermath? Please share your part of the world...

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnmflores/6091854848/" title="Grove Street Paddle by john m flores, on Flickr"> 6091854848_e13d0dd9eb_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Grove Street Paddle"></a>

• Like Like x 5
  2. OMG! Thanks for sharing. It rained a lot here, with heavy winds. I haven't heard ant fludding yet.

3. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Irene's Wrath in Bergen County NJ

Fortunately, my home and neighborhood didn't experience any major flooding or damage. Nearby the Passaic River predictably flooded along River Road.

As the river crests, this will only get worse throughout the week.
    This morning in a neighboring community they had a housefire that firemen were unable to get to due to the flooding.
    Video of that here: http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/fire-destroys-home-in-flooded-pompton-lakes-20110829-KC

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/wasabi_bob/6093111598/" title="Hurricane Irene Flooding by Wasabi Bob, on Flickr"> 6093111598_5408477d96_b. "1024" height="235" alt="Hurricane Irene Flooding"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  4. mzd

mzd Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2010
    Wisconsin
    My new wife and I were on our honeymoon at Seabrook Island (just south of Charleston) in South Carolina last week. We were very lucky and Irene passed by about 100 miles offshore on Friday before hitting North Carolina. We had astronomical high tides but the only damage was to the sand dunes which unfortunately are home to a number of loggerhead turtle nests.

6090738226_8b3ec658f0_b.

Irene did leave us with a breathtaking sunset that evening...

6090200965_7b213054fb_b.
    (absolutely no post in that image - just the Lightroom RAW conversion)
    GF1; 14/140mm

• Like Like x 6
  5. Gusnyc

Gusnyc Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    New York
    Empire State Building, with a background of clouds from the hurricane Irene. Being evacuated had its benefits. Shot from the hotel room after I had to leave my apartment in Battery Park City. Luckily nothing serious happened in Lower Manhattan. My heart goes to the people who suffered serious losses because of this storm.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 9
  6. UkrainianOne

UkrainianOne Mu-43 Regular

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Aftermath, Note My Poor Greenhouse

Kodak Z710 for 640 Video :rolleyes:

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lAYE68VeseA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Like Like x 2
  7. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    That greenhouse looks like it took a lot of work putting together. Must suck to see it in pieces...

8. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Rehoboth, Ma Trying to Drive About

Tried to make my way out to the main drag yesterday afternoon.

Foiled in every direction. Not a police car to be seen, no "official services". By 5:30 PM the town locals were driving around on their own chain sawing trees and dragging them out of the roadways.

I managed to drive through and over most blow downs with my trusty Jeep, 11 years old and counting..

I put the GF1 in a 1 gallon zip lock bag, put 3 elastic bands tightly around the neck of the lens hood, then cut out the plastic in front of the lens. Worked like a champ.

This morning I was able to leave town and get to Providence.

P1060607.

[​IMG]

P1060596.

P1060605.

• Like Like x 4
  9. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Those power lines look scary. Be careful! I wrapped my GH2 in a baggy as well, but by the time I got out it stopped raining!

Here's a local park:

6093536322_6206c88b8c_b.
    Somerville NJ after Tropical Storm Irene by john m flores, on Flickr

Poor ball field:
    6092998477_a5eec1cec8_b.

6093537916_ecca6d37ef_b.

• Like Like x 1
  10. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Dam John, now thats a flood!!! Up north here on long island we got more wind damage than anything, i just took a drive around the local areas and most of the roads closed due to huge old trees knocked over by the winds, places by the great south bay got flooded as there was sand in the train station parking lot about 1 mile from the shore

2my20lk.

• Like Like x 1
  11. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    $300.00 In materials, Two Months worth of work putting it together alone and determination to be self-sufficient when it comes to veggies :frown:

12. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Wow. Awesome pics folks. Stay safe!

13. John M Flores

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Here's a short video I made with photos and video shot with the GH2:

[ame=http://vimeo.com/28315280]2011-08-28 Tropical Storm Irene, Somerville NJ on Vimeo[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  14. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    We're about 40 minutes north of Baltimore. Damage here was more from the wind. Our road was closed until late this afternoon because of trees falling across the road, bringing power lines down. A mile away on another road, a large tree fell on a house and draped power lines over the road. As crazy as it sounds, car after car did the limbo under the live lines until county crews arrived to close the road. Damage at our house was limited to a few trees and an old computer monitor that burned out when the power was restored. We lost an apple tree that I planted as a twig more than 20 years ago. Not far away, an elderly mulberry had one of its leaders snapped off like a matchstick.

15. UkrainianOne

Jul 29, 2011
    Long Island, New York
    Wow thats an awsome way of telling a story through photos and video, the HD deffinatly gives it a cinema feel, like an appocolyptic zombie quality :cool:

16. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Wow, some great and powerful images here folks and hats off (or maybe on) to you all as well as sympathy for those who lost their lives and homes.
    I particularly love the images of New York with that moody and threatening sky it reminds me of a movie still.

17. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Fantastic shots!