1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Come on, come on- C/C welcome

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by the_traveler, May 8, 2013.

1. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Come on, come on

Shot with Oly EP-3, 20 mm 1.7 in Eastern Market, Washington, DC.

p1582066410-5.

2. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Kid pictures are sort of lost on me. They are more often than not too cute by half. What I like about this one is the kid is straddling the line which adds tension to the idea of his mother trying to get him to come. I also like the identical posture of the mother and son with the hand to the head. Creates a sense of connection between them. The slightly out of focus boy is a bit troubling to me. I wish the picture had uniform sharpness but the composition (and probable fortuitous timing) is so right on that it doesn't detract too much from the image.

3. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    Thanks, Caimi.
    This was a shot done almost on the run.
    I was off at the side and saw that something like this was probably going to happen and I just got in a place to get them all on the screen, took one shot and the situation dissolved.

The sharpness, as you said, would have been nice but, even with the slight OOF, I think the picture is understandable by anyone who ever had a child.
    Your comment about the mirroring of the hand position is really perceptive and, now that I look at it, does add a bit of extra.

I totally agree about most kid pictures. They are like pictures of puppies, intended to appeal for the content alone.

4. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    Looks like he's about figured out that mom's "goodbye, see you later" is just a ploy! A common theme with youngsters this age, but I've never seen it captured in a photo. Well done!

5. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    "This was a shot done almost on the run.
    I was off at the side and saw that something like this was probably going to happen and I just got in a place to get them all on the screen, took one shot and the situation dissolved."

That's the photgrapher's vision, I think. You see that something is about to happen or you see the final image in your mind and the task is then to shoehorn it into the viewfinder. Sometimes it just happens and sometimes it's a chore.

6. the_traveler

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton

Of all the skill's in photography, I think the ability to 'see' a shot before you take it or even before it happens is the most difficult to nurture.

This may be not a skill but a talent and one can't grow an oak without an acorn.