1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Combining Oil seed rape (further after the harvest images)

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by grebeman, Jul 24, 2011.

1. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    Brady, I thought of you when processing these images taken earlier today just up the lane from my cottage.

We've had three or four dry days and the moisture content of the Oil seed rape must be low enough for the harvest to begin.

1030711_2.
    This is the highest part of the field, looking south towards Salcombe the English Channel.
    Panasonic G1 with 15mm, f/4.5 Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar

1010601_1.
    Near the bottom of the field, climbing up about 250 feet to the top.
    Panasonic G1 with 45mm, f/2.8 Leica DG Macro-Elmarit

1010607_2.
    Continuing the climb.

1030704_2.
    At the top corner of the field, an area where the rape failed to grow, I don't know if it was washed out by rain. It grew a fine crop of poppies though.

1010596_1.
    Discharging "the black gold" (the seeds) into the waiting trailer.
    Panasonic G1 with 14-45mm f/3.5-f/5.6 lens at a zoom setting of 30mm.

Barrie

• Like Like x 8
  2. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hey Barrie! Awesome pictures, thanks for thinking of me:) I've never seen rape seed before. Is it about the same size as sorghum?

Nice to see a John Deere in the field. Our headers are similar but I've never seen a cute contraption (hungry boards) over the top of the grain bin before.

This picture here I like the best because you can see the grin on the girls face.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Barrie,

That's a wonderful set. I love the PP technique at use here, and the images themselves are striking and well conceived.

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  4. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Hi Brady, thanks for your comments. I've never seen sorghum, so that's a bit of a problem :smile: They're quite small seeds, a little larger than poppy seeds, assuming you can relate to that comparison :smile: I think I know the girl, I'm sure she used to volunteer at the nature reserve where I volunteer.

Barrie

5. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Great set of pictures. Tells the Harvest story without words. The words add to it. A bit modern for my memories on the farm with horses and mules. But farmin' is farmin'! and some of us still love it, even though we don't actually live or work there any more. Thank you for the trip back to the farm.

• Like Like x 1
  6. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    Steve, many thanks. There are only about 30 houses in the village where I live, but some of them are a farm conversion. That farm was the last to be worked by horses around here and the farmer only died some 5 or 6 years ago, although the horses were gone some 50 years ago. The land in those pictures was the last to be worked in that way, at that time the fields were much smaller and all round what is now my cottage, then a wheelwrights workshop, were cider apple orchards. My 90 year old neighbour was born and breed here, indeed his Father was that wheelwright and some of his carts are in the local museum in Kingsbridge. He often tells stories of his boyhood, how the times were different. I should love to have seen it in those days, likewise the nearby tidal creek where up until about 80 years ago small coasters used to come up and discharge their cargoes.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  7. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    Barrie
    A couple of days after the harvest

The oil seed rape has been gathered in, well all but a few low growing pods. The chaff and stalks remain to be dealt with later.

1010635_v2.
    45mm, f/2.8 Leica DG Macro-Elmarit

1010636_1.
    45mm, f/2.8 Leica DG Macro-Elmarit
    Each seed is approximately 2.5mm in diameter and full of rape oil.

1030721_v2.
    15mm, f/4.5 Voigtlander Super Wide-Heliar

Barrie

• Like Like x 1