Combined 3-axis IS with E-M5 & M.ZD 100-400mm f/5-6.3 IS lens?

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
There has been discussions about the sharpness or lack of it from users because of incorrect settings, including FW updates with using the Olympus 100-400 lens. Robin Wong set out to address this issue, but one advice was to set Lens IS Priority to ON, however to according instructions in the manuals I feel it doesn't matter what that setting is, so just leave it set to ON & all will be well anyhow.
Quoted from E-M1 III manual.
Lens I.S. Priority Select [On] to give priority to lens on-board image
stabilization when shooting with third-party lenses. [S-IS1]
will be used when [S-IS AUTO] is selected for [K Image
Stabilizer] (P. 97).
• This option has no effect on lenses that are equipped with
an image stabilization switch
EDIT: The following Robin Wong tells me I am wrong (but I still think otherwise).
One of the things I thought I discovered was using the old E-M5 with a FW update it had in the past that in effect it allowed using all Olympus lenses with in built IS to utilise roll correction that was recently included with E-M1 II & E-M5 III (I believe FW was updated to E-M1 III & E-MX but not included with details). This same update came to E-M10, E-M10 II & E-P5 & E-PL7 which allows the lens's IS to correct for yaw & pitch while the camera body corrects for roll, resulting with 3-axis IS.
Here is the update that was for the E-M5.
Ver.2.2
(Jan.28 2016)
  • Compatible with Olympus lens with a built-in image stabilizing function.
    • * The camera body recognizes the IS built into the lens, allowing for optimal image stabilizing effects.
      • * Not compatible with 5 axis Sync IS.
    • * You can get the effects of rolling stabilization from the IS function of the body, along with the effects of image stabilization from the IS function of the lens.

Here's a crop (1000 x 750 pixels) of a photo I took today with the 100-400 lens on my E-M5 (Pittosporum undulatum) using IS ON for both lens & body.

O6191756-scr.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Cropped from this image.

O6191756-ms.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

PeeBee

Mu-43 All-Pro
I've been shooting mine with Lens IS Priority and IBIS off (EM1.2) so far and I've found it impressively sharp, even at 400mm. I'll need to experiment with these settings to see if I can detect any differences.

I wonder if the complaints of softness are due to sample variation, or if it's down to some folks trying to resolve fine feather detail through 100 metres of inner city smog?

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I've been shooting mine with Lens IS Priority and IBIS off (EM1.2) so far and I've found it impressively sharp, even at 400mm. I'll need to experiment with these settings to see if I can detect any differences.

I wonder if the complaints of softness are due to sample variation, or if it's down to some folks trying to resolve fine feather detail through 100 metres of inner city smog?
Have them both ON & it will correct for any heavy shutter button stabbing too. ;) Seriously though, that is really the most common situation for roll, even if it is quite subtle. If you have IBIS on at the same time (& IS with shutter button half press ON), & half press the shutter button to activate IS & while focussed on something with good square detail, try adding some roll movement (only, if possible) & notice the difference when IBIS is ON or OFF.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have watched few videos by Roger at Lens Rentals and it seems lens variation is an issue with mu-43 lenses
From memory the 25mm f1. 2 had a high variation rate in a test.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
I think I agree with you @Ross the fiddler , but I think it would be helpful on this topic to talk in terms of what the manual says (as you did in the case of the IS Priority). The manual never uses the terms "roll" or "pitch" or "yaw." Robin Wong uses those same terms, but I find any time you or he use these terms to not exactly know what you mean in terms of the settings and what the manual says.

The clue I finally got from his video is where, at 4:39:

he shows the camera IS setting at IS AUTO. The description in the manual for this reads:
Auto I.S.
Image stabilization applies to motion on all axes.
If panning motion is detected, the camera will
automatically suspend image stabilization on that
axis.

I think a deliberate distinction is being made here between IS AUTO and IS 1. For regular (non 100-400) shooting I have always changed this setting to IS 1 to eliminate that restriction "If panning motion is detected..." IS 1 gives you "Image stabilization applies to motion on all axes." Period, with no restrictions.

Sooo, if you are going to talk about roll and pitch and yaw, I think what you and he are saying is to use IS AUTO and do NOT use IS 1. And also turn the IS switch to ON on the 100-400 lens. This is of considerable interest to me because I have been just using IS 1 for everything (which is usually correct, IMHO).

Right?

Meanwhile, I agree with what you said that for the E-M1.3 and E-M5.3 (and E-M1X, I think), the manual clearly states that the Lens IS Priority option "has no effect on lenses that are equipped with an image stabilization switch," so you might as well leave it ON. For other cameras, it does matter so turn it ON. So turn it ON!! :)

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
I think I agree with you @Ross the fiddler , but I think it would be helpful on this topic to talk in terms of what the manual says (as you did in the case of the IS Priority). The manual never uses the terms "roll" or "pitch" or "yaw." Robin Wong uses those same terms, but I find any time you or he use these terms to not exactly know what you mean in terms of the settings and what the manual says.

The clue I finally got from his video is where, at 4:39:

he shows the camera IS setting at IS AUTO. The description in the manual for this reads:
Auto I.S.
Image stabilization applies to motion on all axes.
If panning motion is detected, the camera will
automatically suspend image stabilization on that
axis.

I think a deliberate distinction is being made here between IS AUTO and IS 1. For regular (non 100-400) shooting I have always changed this setting to IS 1 to eliminate that restriction "If panning motion is detected..." IS 1 gives you "Image stabilization applies to motion on all axes." Period, with no restrictions.

Sooo, if you are going to talk about roll and pitch and yaw, I think what you and he are saying is to use IS AUTO and do NOT use IS 1. And also turn the IS switch to ON on the 100-400 lens. This is of considerable interest to me because I have been just using IS 1 for everything (which is usually correct, IMHO).

Right?

Meanwhile, I agree with what you said that for the E-M1.3 and E-M5.3 (and E-M1X, I think), the manual clearly states that the Lens IS Priority option "has no effect on lenses that are equipped with an image stabilization switch," so you might as well leave it ON. For other cameras, it does matter so turn it ON. So turn it ON!! :)
For the E-M5 the IS is quite audable & it doesn't matter if using Lens IS Priority ON or OFF as it is still operating, so if the early FW does not apply to this lens as well, then I think it is probably better to turn OFF IBIS to let the lens take it all (for pith & yaw only), because I can see it correcting for roll when I deliberately roll the camera as if stabbing at the shutter when both OIS & IBIS are ON.
Pitch, yaw & roll are referred to in the FW update information for the applicable cameras (& is obviously added without comment in E-M1X & E-M1 III prior to the lens release). In the FW update information it also says to use IS AUTO with this lens (for the combined axis result).
When new lenses are released information isn't always immediately listed with the lens or camera body with all the information we may be looking for & why these questions sometimes arise, or it is a case of "if all else fails, read the instructions". ;)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom