Columbia River Gorge

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by oldsweng, Jul 25, 2012.

1. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    Olympus OM-D E-M5, 75-300mm
    Columbia_River_Gorge_BW.

• Like Like x 16
  2. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    That's a fantastic shot! (Of course, the 75-300 is also my favorite landscape lens, so that may have something to do with it.) While I think this sort of post processing can often come off as gimmicky, I think you pull it off really well here. Simply beautiful.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very nice, looks like a painting!

4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Wow seriously?

5. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Absolutely gorgeous.

6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Most monochrome photos leave me cold but this is just amazing. I also have never done landscape with a tele lens but this work surely proves it viable. This is one of the better images I've ever seen. Any stitching involved? If enough pixels this would be just a knockout printed really large. :bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009:

7. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Turned out really well, thanks for sharing. I love that view from the state park; the one problem with shooting from the Vista House is you can't get the Vista House in the picture, and it's worth showing! :smile:

8. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    I want to thank everyone for the kind words. This image was created with the 75-300 at 75mm and no stitching was involved. The original image was a five exposure HDR put together with Nik HDR Efex Pro (version 1, not the latest) and converted to monochrome using Nik Silver Efex Pro. I used Lightroom adjustments on to specific areas and removed distractions with PS6 before the conversion to monochrome. I have printed it at 12"x18" and it looks fine. I have Groupon for a 20"x30" wrap that I may use with this image but I need to evaluate the image after resizing before I try to print it larger.

The original before conversion to monochrome
    Columbia_River_Gorge.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It's still a stunning photo but I really like the B&W, there's something really magical about it. :thumbup:

10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    +1. Looks like it could have been taken with a big ol' view camera. Terrific!

11. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Beautiful image. Good idea with the monochrome conversion too. I like it much better than the color image, and the HDR looks more natural. What is that neat structure btw? It looks like it could be a Roman ruin!

12. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    I also prefer the monochrome conversion. Here is some information on the Vista House.

13. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I love the composition and the telephoto compression. The colour version isn't too shabby, but the B&W is simply stunning and steals the show. :smile:

14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm not a fan of B+W, but I do like this.

The color one I like too, but it needs contrast. I feel the shadows need to be pushed down a little and midtones brought up. The highlights look good, though.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.