1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Columbia River Gorge

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by oldsweng, Jul 25, 2012.

1. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    Olympus OM-D E-M5, 75-300mm
    Columbia_River_Gorge_BW.

• Like Like x 16
  2. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    That's a fantastic shot! (Of course, the 75-300 is also my favorite landscape lens, so that may have something to do with it.) While I think this sort of post processing can often come off as gimmicky, I think you pull it off really well here. Simply beautiful.

3. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Very nice, looks like a painting!

4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    Wow seriously?

5. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Absolutely gorgeous.

6. nueces snapper

nueces snapper Mu-43 All-Pro

Most monochrome photos leave me cold but this is just amazing. I also have never done landscape with a tele lens but this work surely proves it viable. This is one of the better images I've ever seen. Any stitching involved? If enough pixels this would be just a knockout printed really large. :bravo-009::bravo-009::bravo-009:

7. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Turned out really well, thanks for sharing. I love that view from the state park; the one problem with shooting from the Vista House is you can't get the Vista House in the picture, and it's worth showing! :smile:

8. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    I want to thank everyone for the kind words. This image was created with the 75-300 at 75mm and no stitching was involved. The original image was a five exposure HDR put together with Nik HDR Efex Pro (version 1, not the latest) and converted to monochrome using Nik Silver Efex Pro. I used Lightroom adjustments on to specific areas and removed distractions with PS6 before the conversion to monochrome. I have printed it at 12"x18" and it looks fine. I have Groupon for a 20"x30" wrap that I may use with this image but I need to evaluate the image after resizing before I try to print it larger.

The original before conversion to monochrome
    Columbia_River_Gorge.

• Like Like x 2
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    It's still a stunning photo but I really like the B&W, there's something really magical about it. :thumbup:

10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    +1. Looks like it could have been taken with a big ol' view camera. Terrific!

11. billy_pilgrim

billy_pilgrim Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2011
    Beautiful image. Good idea with the monochrome conversion too. I like it much better than the color image, and the HDR looks more natural. What is that neat structure btw? It looks like it could be a Roman ruin!

12. oldsweng

oldsweng Mu-43 Regular

Apr 21, 2011
    Oregon
    I also prefer the monochrome conversion. Here is some information on the Vista House.

13. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Essex
    John
    I love the composition and the telephoto compression. The colour version isn't too shabby, but the B&W is simply stunning and steals the show. :smile:

14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm not a fan of B+W, but I do like this.

The color one I like too, but it needs contrast. I feel the shadows need to be pushed down a little and midtones brought up. The highlights look good, though.