1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Colours

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by prophet, Jul 24, 2015.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    I recently shot alongside a guy who had a Sony A7R. I noticed that when looking on his LCD, the colours were quite different from my E-PL7 screen: especially the blues were a lot bluer (!), and in general it seemed a bit more saturated.

Where does this colour difference come from?

2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    It's in the LCD screen calibration.
    That's all.
    Important for selling cameras to thickos in the shops who go "wow" at the screen vibrance.
    You too can make your LCD "pop" the settings are all inside your camera's menu.

3. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Could also be a difference in white balance if everything had a blue cast. Maybe a small difference in exposure too. Then you have tech differences in sensor, lcd, etc.
    This assuming that both of you were using the more "natural" profile available, no vivid or saturation corrections.

4. c5karl

c5karl Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2011
    Fairfax, Va., USA
    I'm willing to bet the Sony screen was an OLED. OLEDs fade over time, with blue fading faster than red and green. To compensate for this, manufacturers oversaturate the blue colors so that as the blues fade, they aren't swamped by red and green.

5. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

He could have set the camera to +1 or +2 in saturation or to default at "Vivid" picture style. When I shot Sony, I did that because it otherwise seemed to be a bit muted at the standard default setting.