Colours on the E-M1 vs E-M5 (raw using LR5.4)

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
I've recently added an E-M1 to my kit, so now I'm running an E-M5 and E-M1 (although I've previously had an E-PL5 and briefly an E-P5). I'm finding the colours off the E-M1 to be noticeably different to those off the other three cameras (which of course all share the same Sony sensor). TBH, I'm finding the E-M5 colours somewhat more pleasing and accurate - especially the reds. However, I'm a raw shooter using LR5 and I can get quite different colour rendering by applying a different profile. I'm also finding that the E-M1 tends to overexpose compared to the E-M5 (that is, same ISO, same exposure, but the E-M1 shots are lighter indicating a different ISO calibration). The examples below show this. All are shot at ISO 200 and the same exposure - 1/2000 @f1.8 on the Oly 25:

E-M5. JPEG from raw. All LR defaults, incl AdobeStandard profile. No additional changes
em5_adobestandard.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

E-M1. JPEG from raw. All LR defaults, incl AdobeStandard profile. No additional changes
em1_adobestandard.jpg

So - quite a big colour difference. The E-M5 shot is closer to the real colours - they are a very vibrant red.

Here is the same comparison using the Camera Natural profile:

E-M5. JPEG from raw. All LR defaults, except using CameraNatural profile. No additional changes
em5_cameranatural.jpg

E-M1. JPEG from raw. All LR defaults, except using CameraNatural profile. No additional changes
em1_cameranatural.jpg

This is closer - and in fact, if I apply a -0.5EV correction, it gets pretty close:

Comparison. EM1 vs EM5. Both with Camera Natural profile and with -0.5 EV correction on E-M1
em5vsem1.JPG

I still think the E-M5 colours are a little more authentic though.

Has anyone else done any comparisons? Are there some good LR profiles available for the E-M1?

Thanks!

Art

Mu-43 All-Pro
Is it because E-M1 has Panasonic sensor? E-M5 colors look way better even on a small iphone screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

Halaking

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Morris
Since E-M10 was out after E-M1, anyone has idea of E-M10's sensor brand and color?

TransientEye

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark
The purple looking areas on the E-M1 petals might be because the red channel is blowing out slightly.

I wonder if the difference is not largely the result of the E-M1 just choosing a slightly brighter exposure - the shadows look brighter. Perhaps under-exposing slightly would make the petal colours much more similar?

rdoe

Mu-43 Regular
The purple looking areas on the E-M1 petals might be because the red channel is blowing out slightly.

I wonder if the difference is not largely the result of the E-M1 just choosing a slightly brighter exposure - the shadows look brighter. Perhaps under-exposing slightly would make the petal colours much more similar?

Exactly my findings with the difference between EM-5 and EM-1, the latter seems to (over) expose by 0,5ev. I think it is the difference in sensor and processing, not a very big deal though.

Vivalo

Olympus loser
I've noticed that E-M5 tends to blow out red channel very easily. I suppose +0,5 ev over exposure by E-M1 makes the red channel blow out even more easily.

TransientEye

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Mark
I am not sure why, but photographing intensely red petals seems to be problematic for just about every camera I have used. Quite often the only way get good colours is to underexpose by a stop or even more and the compensate in Lightroom.

The saturated red also seems to be difficult for some monitors and printing - even if the photograph is spot on, you might not be able to display it!

David A

Mu-43 All-Pro
The OP said "… if I apply a -0.5EV correction, it gets pretty close…"

Since we're talking colour matching, and since the exposure data for the 2 images is identical, I assume that the EV correction is being made in Lightroom. If that's the case one needs to be aware that saturation changes with exposure adjustments in Lightroom. If you make a positive exposure adjustment saturation increases, a negative one and saturation decreases. The size of the change to saturation depends on the size of the exposure adjustment.

Just another thing to consider in working out just what is going on.

Latest threads

Top Bottom