1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Colour balance on EPL5 screen - how to adjust ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by blue, Feb 20, 2013.

1. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Is it possible to change the colour balance on the LCD monitor on the EPL5 ? It is one thing that reviews say quite often - that it does give not a good representation, but without saying whether it adjustable to make it more true to life.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Go to Menu => Wrench and look for an icon that looks like this:

Personally, I'm fine with the color balance on my PENs but I always have to dial down the brightness to better match my monitors.

• Like Like x 1
  3. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    While there, pressing the INFO button will toggle between "Natural" and "Vivid" display mode. I believe default is "Vivid", I prefer "Natural".

P.

• Like Like x 1
  4. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    I don't have the EPL5 at the moment, and the all reviews about the inaccurate colour on the LCD is the only thing putting me off.

Do you find that "what you see is what you get" and can you adjust white balance for a scene by eye ? I can do this very easily on the Pana G1, the colours reproduce very well from life -> LCD -> computer -> print.

5. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    My experience with the E-PL5 is that the "Auto WB" on this camera is amazing. I never bother trying to judge color unless I know I'm in a bad situation (Snow comes to mind for some reason :rolleyes: ).

My backup is the fact that I shoot raw. That means that when I open the file all my camera settings are there, but if I'm not happy, all the raw data is there and I can adjust WB without any loss of quality, detail or range.

I'm new to digital photography, but the I shoot for composition and subject matter. Color is subjective.

P.

6. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    If the colour is off on the LCD it will be unusable for me. I had a GH2 for a while and found it impossible - it had a nasty grey/green hue to it and you could never tell what you'd be ending up with. I don't understand why the manufacturers don't make sure that the LCD is reasonably accurate and without some weird colour cast to it.

7. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    Looking at the manual it would appear that you can adjust colour temperature and brightness, not just toggle between Vivid and Natural (page 70).

I don't actually have an E-PL5 but am currently considering one.

Keith

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    As Paul noted, it defaults to an over-cooked vivid. info-button to natural, then adjust brightness and temp as you like.

As to color accuracy on the LCD -- accuracy to what? To the scene in front of you, or to what the image will actually look like? And look like on what? Paper or your monitor? A calibrated monitor, or a cheap PC laptop screen? And what are you shooting in? jpg or raw?

The key thing is the image quality and what you can do with the files. LCD color adjustment is pretty easy to do, but shouldn't be the primary driver for camera choice, because it will be nearly impossible to truly match up the back LCD image with your final copy (oh, and do you have an LCD protector on there? Are you taking that into account? -- i.e. too many variables).

This is another one of those odd Oly choices -- to ship with LCD in vivid mode, rather than natural. But it's easily adjusted.

9. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    On my Pana G1 I get a near-enough true to life/scene I'm shooting on the LCD which then translates near-enough onto my computer which then again looks as I expect in print.

When I had a GH2, despite whatever tweaking, the LCD image always had a nasty grey-green cast over it, which was not only unpleasant to look at but meant that what I ended up with on my computer monitor was generally nothing like the scene I shot either. It was horrible to work with.

The reviews of the EPL5 suggest the LCD has an obvious green colour cast no matter what you do.

My question to the EPL5 owners is - do you see that cast, can you get rid of it, can you get the LCD to show what is in front of you with a decent amount of accuracy ?

10. msatlas

msatlas Mu-43 Regular

Feb 5, 2013
    Madison, WI
    Page 70 in the manual shows how to get at the LCD settings.

I don't really notice a green cast on my E-PL5. I changed from Vivid to Natural and it seems o be reasonably accurate.

OTOH my Motorola Droid Razr has a noticeable green tint to its screen and the E-PL5 doesn't really act that way.

11. blue

blue Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2010
    UK
    Thank you, that is useful. It is one of the problems when shops don't carry OLY stock, and the occasional ones that do never have a demo model or charged battery to hand.

12. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I think by changing the default to Natural, the LCD is accurate enough. But I do always get different colours viewing the photos on the PC and cell phone like there's something wrong until I load colour management profile in image viewing software. While using Panasonic camera I don't have such issue, there's no need to use any monitor profile to view the images correctly. While printing with Canon ip3680, everything works fine with shipped software.

And another issue is that E-PL5 has shifts towards red and blue from yellow and green, which I think is where the Oly Colour comes from.

13. Ddeveryday

Ddeveryday Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    My color was way too saturated. So I took a colorful picture with the pl5 and they allow you to view that picture while adjusting the display color. So I adjust the color of the screen to match the same picture on my macbook pro under the similar brightness.

I just got this camera yesterday, but I feel like the default settings makes me feel like I'm using a point and shoot. Thankfully once you turned on the hidden advanced setting, many of these things can be changed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

14. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

E-PL5 LCD Purple rendition is way off...

However, the VF2 shows it accurately.

I agree with you about the "Natural" display being better.

Isabel

15. g_ngan

g_ngan Mu-43 Rookie

May 10, 2013
    Sorry to hack the thread but I just bought an EPL5 and the screen looks fine during the day. However, I was trying to take some star shots at night but the whole screen would turn blue. I tried all the WB but it's the same. When I import the photos into my Mac, it turns out okay (not blue).

Any idea why?

16. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    press the info key and it will be gone.

that's the visual warning for dark areas

17. keith1200rs

keith1200rs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    You can turn off highlight-shadow display in Live View mode (i.e. when taking a picture) while still having it visible in review/playback. See the LV-Info settings.

Keith