1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Colormunki Display--"Set White Point"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sammykhalifa, Nov 11, 2014.

1. sammykhalifa

sammykhalifa Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Been playing with my new toy the past several days. While I already know that my judgement of color and light is weak at best, I can't help but see that when I calibrate to the "recommended" white point of 6500k the display just looks awful. I know that they tell you that your monitor will look different and strange to you at first when you calibrate, but I believe this goes beyond that. Greys on websites, etc., that I know are supposed to be grey instead appear purple.

From everything I've read my monitor is pretty good (though not the highest end) so I don't think that's the issue.

http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/pc-mac/monitors-and-projectors/monitors/viewsonic-vx2336s-led-1073216/review

When I calibrate to "Native" white point, everything looks good, and for now I'm leaving it that way. But I can't help but think that that defeats the part of the purpose of calibrating in the first place.

What am I missing here? Don't feel like you're talking down to me if you have to use small words either, I feel like I'm totally blind here.

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

1. monitor - ViewSonic VX2336s-LED, right?

2. which OS?

3. is the calibration adjustment being done in the OS only, or also in the monitor?
    It should help to try to get at least the basic adjustments done in the monitor first.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I just got a Colormunki Display yesterday and calibrated my screen, an Apple Thunderbolt display, with it. I had been using a Datacolor SpyderPro 4 but there were problems with the software. I wasn't expecting to see a difference, or at least not a big difference, between the SpyderPro profile and the Colormunki profile but I was extremely surprised. I don't think there was much of a difference in the colours but the Colormunki brightness setting was quite a bit brighter than the SpyderPro and things really pop now. I also found processing images a little easier as a result. This is with the 6500K white point.

I am not seeing purple greys and everything looks good to me. We've got different displays so that means you can't take much from my comments, and I was coming from a calibration with a different device to one with the Colormunki so I had different expectations to you as well. All I can say is that I think the 6500K results with the Colormunki Display are fine on my screen.

Part of your issue may be with what you were coming from and what you expected to see. If we've been using a particular display for a while we get very used to it, our "eyes"—actually our brain—adapt and we see what it shows as "normal" and don't notice things like colour casts unless they're quite bad. If you change the display profile you're very likely to perceive a colour cast in the new result even if it is neutral because your idea of "neutral" is what the old profile delivers. You actually need to live with the new profile for some time, several days at least, in order to give your brain time to adapt to the change before you can really get an idea of what the new profile looks like. You need to get past the point where you're subconsciously comparing the new profile to the old one and are actually thinking of the new one as your "usual" display. If you then try swapping back to the old profile you'll perceive it as having the colour cast and your impressions may be quite different.

Of course it is possible that your monitor doesn't handle the 6500K profile well for some reason and that there is an issue with the monitor, or there could be an issue with your Colormunki unit or in the way you took the measurements for the profile. I can't say from a distance. All I can say is that with my monitor I'm really happy with the results I get from the Colormunki with a 6500K white point setting.

• Like Like x 1
  4. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    The second time I calibrated my ViewSonic VG2436 monitor the calibration did not complete and error messages were displayed (don't recall what they were). I recalibrated and a profile was created but the colors were definitely incorrect. I restarted my computer and recalibrated and everything is fine. I used the recommended white point. I believe that the sensor may not have been flat against the screen surface. I have had no issues with the Colormunki since.

• Like Like x 1
  5. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    I use the Colormunki to calibrate my Dell and LG monitors (previously Viewsonic), as well as my Canon IPF5000 printer and, while I can't remember which white point I chose, the colours are good and match my printer output, which is what really matters (prints look the same as the screen). One of the general recommendations for proper calibration is not to have the screen brightness too high and to work in a lowered light workplace, so as not to cause visual issues.

• Like Like x 1
  6. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    Yeah, that's it.

2. I have Windows 7, 64bit home edition if I recall right.

3. I reset all the settings on my monitor, so I guess it's through the software/OS.

Well, I tried again today and had a little more luck. This time I turned off all of the "Ambient Lighting" type options, and then turned off all of the lights in the room before starting it. It looks a lot better, setting at 6500k and 110 cd/m2 for now. Comparing the new and yesterday's, there is still something definitely "different" in the old one. And although it certainly is a little different than what I had before any calibration, and will as they say take some getting used to, it looks good. I'll still experiment with it some more and do want to match to my printer, I think it's on the right track and I'm definitely happier than I was yesterday. Not sure if the ambient lighting was the issue or I had some other sort of I/O error (idiot operator error:wink:).

7. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    You may find that going from the factory monitor setup to one that is calibrated, the screen will initially look odd, because it isn't what you're used to seeing. After a while using the calibrated screen, if you went back to the non-calibrated version, you'd have the same sense of shock.

Of course that doesn't mean that anything you post online and subsequently viewed by someone else will show the same results, as their screen may be non-calibrated. As I said, screen calibration really comes into its own when you're doing prints, so that you don't get caught in an endless loop trying to match screen colours to print colours, or trying to correct other issues such as colour casts.

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    If your monitor has a color temp setting, I would set it to 6500 first, and then run the calibration.

Barry

9. sammykhalifa

Jun 22, 2012
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neil
    It does have a setting, but without being in front of it currently, if I recall they're called things like "warm" and "Cool" and such. I did a full reset before calibrating which made it WAY too bright so I'm sure the temp is odd too (though I think i remember reading it is 6500 natively)