Colored Cameras - do you own one?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by DrZero, May 20, 2011.

1. DrZero

DrZero Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2011
    I was slightly surprised to see that the G3 comes in White, Red and Brown in addition to black. I get the colored point and shoot thing, lots of moms want a pretty pink camera to match their cell-phones. I'm a bit surprised to see these kinds of colors showing up on a mid-range EVIL camera though.

For years we had silver, and that was that. Then black came, at first for pro cameras, and since then it's been all black. Especially with cameras that have mixed plastic / metal construction it's always seemed the obvious choice.

Of the 20 odd cameras I have only two are silver: a Minox B I inherited from my Dad and an OM-1 I bought on eBay a while back because I grew up shooting on one (my brothers) and always wanted an OM model. I gave my daughter an old Yashika SLR that's silver too, when she was about 10. That thing is a tank and she loved it and learned to use it, and it cost about $50 with a decent lens so I had absolutely no concern over what she did with it.

Anyway, I get the sliver for retro cameras like the EP1, but I just don't quite get the brown, red and white/silver versions. Your thoughts?
  2. Voted for #1. Prefer black, grey, non-reflective silver tones. Don't consider colors to be ugly or pointless. Just not my taste for camera gear.
  3. jimr.pdx

jimr.pdx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    near Longview ~1hr from PDX
    Jim R
    Yes - but my G1 is blue! Should I call it brown in your poll? :smile:
    And ironically, my k-x is black!
  4. DrZero

DrZero Mu-43 Rookie

May 20, 2011
    Sorry, I can't edit the poll, or I'd add blue for you. Maybe vote for Red. Red and Blue are both primary colors, so it's closest. The brown is pretty stealthy.
  5. MegaPixelTravel

MegaPixelTravel Mu-43 Regular

May 14, 2011
    I own all black or silver black pro cameras. I would not mind a colored camera, but only a dark colour like dark forest green.
  6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I bought the E-P1 because I love the retro silver....but sold it and bought the gf1 for speed of was nearly my only choice. But that brown G3....... I hate the form of the camera, but I love the color so much it might just flip me! It won't really, but I DO love it.....hopefully next "rangefinder-esque" body they put out will also be available in brown.....and not be a touchscreen model.
  7. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I *almost* went for the red E-PL2 but then I opted not to...
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    The Panny white is a pearlescent, almost automotive quality paint. Very sexy.

I hope the thieves think mine is some cheapie point and shoot, and go after the guy with the big black camera
  9. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
  10. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    I have the blue G1 and I'm really happy with the way it looks in combination with vintage lenses, especially the alu body lenses !

C U,
  11. xanaduflipper

xanaduflipper Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I owned the red panny G2 for a while but it got on my nerves. I sold it and got the black oly E-PL1. I prefer the vintage look.
  12. red

red Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 21, 2010
    why do you think i like the red one ?

13. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I have the same red GF1 pictured above (though not that lens!). I wouldn't have picked red, but it was available and cheap at a time when the black ones were not available and not cheap when you could find one. And the red hasn't bothered me in the least. So I still probably wouldn't choose a colored camera but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one either, if there was a strong price and/or availability reason to do so.

14. Howi

Howi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2011
    Me too! don't like the red on the GF2 though too garish!
    The m43 are fun cameras aimed at the point and shooters to upgrade to wanting better pics without the bulk of the 'normal' DSLR'S .
    They are not 'pro' cameras (yet!),
    It doesn't bother me if the canikonypus users think it's not 'pro'
    Lifes far too short......
  15. GingerCat

GingerCat Mu-43 Regular

Apr 16, 2011

If there's a market for coloured cars and phones and ipods and what have you, then there's a market for coloured cameras. Just because we need time to get used to the idea doesn't mean it's pointless.

I agree about a dark green, that would be lovely.
  16. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    I have the white E-PL2 and I love that its not black, like almost every other camera out there.
  17. mqavila

mqavila Mu-43 Regular

I currently have the silver GH2. I know that it's not one of the colors being referred to here, since silver and black seems to be the "norm" for cameras. But, I did have the white GF1 briefly and I loved how it looked and felt. I just didn't need two cameras so I ended up selling the GF1... on hindsight however, I wouldn't mind grabbing another white GF1 if I could! :)
  18. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    I like color cameras. Unfortunately, the buying public is very conservative. I really liked when Linhof came out with color versions of their Technorama 617 panoramic camera. If I had the money, the only problem would be choosing the color. The red, aqua, and green cameras were stunning.
  19. franklyspeaking

franklyspeaking Mu-43 Regular

I like colored cameras as well. So long as the color is black.
  20. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My favorite finish was the brushed-stainless (aka "silver") finish on the E-P1 (apparently it was later made available on the E-P2 also in some countries, but I've never seen it).

I've now got the E-PL2 in black... and I love it. :D The textured back, brushed shiny front, and chrome accents actually make it very classy and sexy in black.