Colored Cameras - do you own one?

DrZero

Mu-43 Rookie
I was slightly surprised to see that the G3 comes in White, Red and Brown in addition to black. I get the colored point and shoot thing, lots of moms want a pretty pink camera to match their cell-phones. I'm a bit surprised to see these kinds of colors showing up on a mid-range EVIL camera though.

For years we had silver, and that was that. Then black came, at first for pro cameras, and since then it's been all black. Especially with cameras that have mixed plastic / metal construction it's always seemed the obvious choice.

Of the 20 odd cameras I have only two are silver: a Minox B I inherited from my Dad and an OM-1 I bought on eBay a while back because I grew up shooting on one (my brothers) and always wanted an OM model. I gave my daughter an old Yashika SLR that's silver too, when she was about 10. That thing is a tank and she loved it and learned to use it, and it cost about $50 with a decent lens so I had absolutely no concern over what she did with it.

Anyway, I get the sliver for retro cameras like the EP1, but I just don't quite get the brown, red and white/silver versions. Your thoughts?

DrZero

Mu-43 Rookie
Sorry, I can't edit the poll, or I'd add blue for you. Maybe vote for Red. Red and Blue are both primary colors, so it's closest. The brown is pretty stealthy.

MegaPixelTravel

Mu-43 Regular
I own all black or silver black pro cameras. I would not mind a colored camera, but only a dark colour like dark forest green.

Luke

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Luke
I bought the E-P1 because I love the retro silver....but sold it and bought the gf1 for speed of focus....black was nearly my only choice. But that brown G3....... I hate the form of the camera, but I love the color so much it might just flip me! It won't really, but I DO love it.....hopefully next "rangefinder-esque" body they put out will also be available in brown.....and not be a touchscreen model.

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The Panny white is a pearlescent, almost automotive quality paint. Very sexy.

I hope the thieves think mine is some cheapie point and shoot, and go after the guy with the big black camera

John M Flores

Super Moderator

f6cvalkyrie

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have the blue G1 and I'm really happy with the way it looks in combination with vintage lenses, especially the alu body lenses !

C U,
Rafael

red

Mu-43 Veteran
why do you think i like the red one ?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I have the same red GF1 pictured above (though not that lens!). I wouldn't have picked red, but it was available and cheap at a time when the black ones were not available and not cheap when you could find one. And the red hasn't bothered me in the least. So I still probably wouldn't choose a colored camera but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one either, if there was a strong price and/or availability reason to do so.

-Ray

Howi

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Howard
I have the same red GF1 pictured above (though not that lens!). I wouldn't have picked red, but it was available and cheap at a time when the black ones were not available and not cheap when you could find one. And the red hasn't bothered me in the least. So I still probably wouldn't choose a colored camera but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one either, if there was a strong price and/or availability reason to do so.

-Ray
Me too! don't like the red on the GF2 though too garish!
The m43 are fun cameras aimed at the point and shooters to upgrade to wanting better pics without the bulk of the 'normal' DSLR'S .
They are not 'pro' cameras (yet!),
It doesn't bother me if the canikonypus users think it's not 'pro'
Lifes far too short......

GingerCat

Mu-43 Regular
canikonypus
:rofl:

If there's a market for coloured cars and phones and ipods and what have you, then there's a market for coloured cameras. Just because we need time to get used to the idea doesn't mean it's pointless.

I agree about a dark green, that would be lovely.

mqavila

Mu-43 Regular
I currently have the silver GH2. I know that it's not one of the colors being referred to here, since silver and black seems to be the "norm" for cameras. But, I did have the white GF1 briefly and I loved how it looked and felt. I just didn't need two cameras so I ended up selling the GF1... on hindsight however, I wouldn't mind grabbing another white GF1 if I could! :)

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
I like color cameras. Unfortunately, the buying public is very conservative. I really liked when Linhof came out with color versions of their Technorama 617 panoramic camera. If I had the money, the only problem would be choosing the color. The red, aqua, and green cameras were stunning.

Ned

Mu-43 Legend
My favorite finish was the brushed-stainless (aka "silver") finish on the E-P1 (apparently it was later made available on the E-P2 also in some countries, but I've never seen it).

I've now got the E-PL2 in black... and I love it. :D The textured back, brushed shiny front, and chrome accents actually make it very classy and sexy in black.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom