Color infrared

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by ddb, Jun 4, 2013.

1. I've had my converted Lumix G1 for about a week and must say that I am thoroughly enjoying infrared shooting. I think that I've taken more shots in the last week than I did in the last 3 months combined. On Mark Hilliard's website, he suggests processing in color and B&W and I have taken that to heart. However, I never can pick what version I like best. The warm toned image was opened in ACR and into CS5 where I used NIK Color Efex 2 and Viveza 2 (no channel mixer). The cool tone image was again opened in ACR to CS5 but adjusted with the channel mixer and levels. I'm not sure if I am doing everything properly but I like the results. Even though these are color, I posted here because they are infrared.

2. STR

STR Mu-43 Veteran

May 16, 2013
    One of the things I like about IR photography is the other-worldliness of the photos. I tend to stick with the red sky, as that tends to increase this effect. Though, like all rules, one breaks them when it makes for a better picture.

In this case, because you have the American Flag, I think it's better to stick with the non-remixed version. It almost looks like a war memorial on the planet Mars. The blue one, because it also reverses the color on the flags, looks more like a color inverted normal photo. Then again...that might be the look you're going for. What do you think?

Cool photos in either method, by the way.