1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Color Fringing

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Slim, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    Hi, wonderful people.
    I have a contax g 28mm biogon and when I used it on my nex 7, it will produce color fringing at the sides, horrible, horrible things...
    I am looking for inputs before I invest in an adapter on whether anybody has experience any difficulties in shooting with the CONTX G Mount, 28mm Biogon specifically.

Thank you and have the most wonderful day, you wonderful people...

Slim

2. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    The NEX 7 is notorious for this. You should search up "NEX 7 and color shift" for more information. I am sure someone has made a list of tested legacy lenses which this is not an issue with, but usually wides and ultrawides have this issue.

3. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    Yes I know about the nex 7. I have one and the color fringing is not a myth. What about on the epl2?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

4. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Never said it was a Myth.

Most likely you should not have a problem adapting that lens to M4/3 cameras. Although I have never tried that exact lens, I have tried numerous other wide and ultra wides on PL5 and never had an issue with color shifts in the corners. It seems to be a very specific issue to the NEX7 sensor.

5. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    Not saying that you said its a myth.. just saying that I thought it was a myth until I brought the g28 and nex7 on a holiday trip. I can only use the pics cropped into squares.. lol..

Anyway glad to know it would not be with the m43 cameras.. thanks. Now to look for an adapter...

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Some of the Biogons are notorious when adapted. You can definitely get colour shift on the edges of the frame on m4/3. Test with a cheap eBay adaptor first then look at better ones if it works OK.

Gordon

7. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    The problem is the lens itself. Biogons are symmetrical designs the angle of light created by them at wide angles is simply too much for the sensor. They're absolutely superb for film; not so great for digital sensors.

The best you can do is use Lightroom with the Adobe Flat Field plugin: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroomplugins/

8. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    Just to clarify.. I have 2 biogons. One is a contax g mount and the other is a m mount, both 28mm 2.8. The one that is giving me serious headaches is the one with contax g mount. But I still prefer the contax g biogon over the m mount. When I used it on my nex 5, the pictures are perfect. And of course, price wise its half as expensive as the m mount. Anyway.. love the inputs. Looking for a used metabones right now..

9. Slim

Slim Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 7, 2013
    Decided to take a the plunge and invested in a used metabones adapter.. good news: no color fringing. I tried the seller's 28mm onto the epl2. Bad news: I have to do open lens surgery to cut off the two flaps. Otherwise the two flaps or legs will touch the sensor..