Colonoscopy - All Oly equipment!

popheiz

Mu-43 Rookie
Had my first colonoscopy earlier this week, which in of itself I am sure is of very limited interest to anyone here. o_O

But wanted to mention that all the equipment on the cart were all Olympus. So apparently I am the ultimate Oly fanboy now inside and out. :thumbup:

I didn't inquire if I was getting 4/3rds or a full frame in me. :rolleyes-38:
Glad to read you had your first colonoscopy, I didn't do that when I was 50 years old, when I was 57 I had stage 3 rectal cancer. I've had a colostomy bag for over 20 years. Keep up with the scopes, please.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Glad to read you had your first colonoscopy, I didn't do that when I was 50 years old, when I was 57 I had stage 3 rectal cancer. I've had a colostomy bag for over 20 years. Keep up with the scopes, please.
Ya I didn't want to put it off just in case. At least you caught it before you were stage "dead". Glad you are still with us!

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
I actually had my first just a week ago, I turned 60 this year so the health service sent out a test-kit as they do to everyone turning 60, it was a faeces test to check for blood in it, blood in it is an indication for colon cancer it seems.
So I had to do a colonoscopy because they found blood.
The thing is that before I got the answer from the test I got a letter from my hospital to come for an colonoscopy!
They probably got the answer electronically and responded immediately. Very efficient!
Even in these Corona times I got a slot to do it only 2 weeks later.

Stupid as I am I declined the anaesthetic, it hurt like H*LLl!
But I am very happy to have done it, now the only question is if the polyp they removed was benign or malign. I will know in a couple of weeks.
If they have found something I will be happy that they found it, hopefully before it is to late, and if they don't find anything I will be happy to know that!

I am sorry to say that I did not check the maker of the equipment used.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
If it was Thanksgiving day today I would have some things to mention:

Screening test of all who turn 60! (Swedish health care.)
Fast response for check up! (Again Swedish health care.)
Members of this forum telling about their experience! (All of you who have written in this thread.)

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I actually had my first just a week ago, I turned 60 this year so the health service sent out a test-kit as they do to everyone turning 60, it was a faeces test to check for blood in it, blood in it is an indication for colon cancer it seems.
The thing is that before I got the answer from the test I got a letter from my hospital to come for an colonoscopy!
They probably got the answer electronically and responded immediately. Very efficient!

But I am very happy to have done it, now the only question is if the polyp they removed was benign or malign. I will know in a couple of weeks.
If they have found something I will be happy that they found it, hopefully before it is to late, and if they don't find anything I will be happy to know that!

I had an Olympus. Sounds like you got a Linhof.

Hopefully all is well. There is only one thing worse than a serious diagnosis, and that's no diagnosis.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
There is only one thing worse than a serious diagnosis, and that's no diagnosis.
Agree and there is no use worrying before you know.

From what I heard from the nurse I talked to when booking the time, people often don't want to do the colonoscopy after something was found in their tests.
That seems stupid to me, isn't it better to know if you have a problem then not knowing?
If you take the first test but don't want to take the test resulting from it, why bother with the first one?

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard

From what I heard from the nurse I talked to when booking the time, people often don't want to do the colonoscopy after something was found in their tests.
That seems stupid to me, isn't it better to know if you have a problem then not knowing?
If you take the first test but don't want to take the test resulting from it, why bother with the first one?
These are not pleasant tests - however - some dentistry is worse. No anaesthetic means you get the test and you can at least get out straight away to get on with your life.

My mum suffered with anxiety and did not deal with such things well.

Her decision to refuse a colonoscopy cost her her life.

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Thanks @PakkyT for starting this thread!
I am not particularly worried about the results from my investigation, but it seems I needed to talk about it!
I usually don't worry about things I can't do anything about.
I like this quote:
"Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof."

And if you are my age, 60, and haven't had a check, do so!
We can't afford to lose forum members to avoidable dangers!

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
I'm keeping my fingers (and indeed my legs) crossed for you Bo.
You've done the sensible thing and I hope all is well for you.

Here in the UK we get asked to provide samples every other year once over the grand old age of 60.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross

You won't be refusing anaesthetic next time though, will you? :eek: I've had gastroscopy as well each time & wouldn't dream of having it without sedation. I don't think it is a full anaesthesia but sedation enough to put one to sleep.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross

Much better to have that polyp removed before it can turn cancerous. It becomes routine every second year (although may be the next year if something is found), except for the prep. That's just unpleasant.

Last edited:

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I was diagnosed with colitis for over 30 ago, so I guess I've been an Olympus user longer than I've considered before.

The prep is the worst part of the test, with or without anesthesia. But is has gotten a LOT if you can believe it.

Last edited:

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
These are not pleasant tests - however - some dentistry is worse. No anaesthetic means you get the test and you can at least get out straight away to get on with your life.

My mum suffered with anxiety and did not deal with such things well.

Her decision to refuse a colonoscopy cost her her life.
That was sad with your Mum. I had a scope (don't know if it was Olympus though) pushed up my artery in my wrist (angiogram). It hurt the first bit as I was only slightly sedated at that point. I don't remember anything after that. I'm just glad it wasn't from the groin instead (which is the alternative). That turned out to not going home but to another hospital for a quadruple bypass. Either that or ...........

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
You won't be refusing anaesthetic next time though, will you? :eek:
No, I will accept the needle in the arm and if it becomes painful the pain killing stuff, I don't think they put you to sleep only dampen the pain.
You are supposed to be able to walk out of there after the exam.

One positive side of the preparation, I now know how to handle a 5:2 diet! Yes, it was inconvenient to not be able to eat the day before the exam, but it was doable. ;)

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
No, I will accept the needle in the arm and if it becomes painful, the pain killing stuff, I don't think they put you to sleep only dampen the pain.
You are supposed to be able to walk out of there after the exam.

One positive side of the preparation, I now know how to handle a 5:2 diet! Yes, it was inconvenient to not be able to eat the day before the exam, but it was doable. ;)
Sedation can make you not care or put you to sleep, depending on how much they give you. That was how they managed it for me. Always asleep for gastroscopy & colonoscopy, sedated & awake for angiogram if being fitted with a stent. Beyond stent being possible, then was sleep to finish off (thankfully), but that may have been my choice anyhow.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom