Collapsible lenses

greyelm

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Malcolm
I have a number of collapsible lenses that I like to use on my Lumix G1 but I am paranoid about them collapsing and causing damage. So I came up with this simple safety collar made from a narrow polythene tube.

For this I used the tube from "Loctite Repair Express Power Putty". I cut the tube to the length of the lens barrel and made a split down the side. This can be slipped over the lens barrel to prevent accidental collapsing.

I have used this on Elmars, Summars & Industar-22s and they are almost invisible in use.

collar-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

arpoador

Mu-43 Regular
LOL -

When I read your title to this thread, I assumed you were talking about (lamenting? extolling?) the new Olympus trend toward collapsible lenses. I wanted to pipe in that I never really liked the way the 14-42 extended, but that I'm very happy with the 9-18.

But this is actually more interesting. I've avoided buying any of these legacy Leica lenses, in part, because I feared that they may intrude into the sensor cavity, and possibly damage the sensor. Is that the issue you're avoiding with your tube?

greyelm

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Malcolm
LOL -

I've avoided buying any of these legacy Leica lenses, in part, because I feared that they may intrude into the sensor cavity, and possibly damage the sensor. Is that the issue you're avoiding with your tube?

Exactly that. With my collar fitted before mounting to the camera there is no risk at all of it collapsing. I have used rubber bands in the past but they are unsightly and less easy to fit. I can now use my old lenses and make the best of their unique characteristics.

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
For those of us that have never owned, used or even held a legacy Leica lens, perhaps you could explain a bit more about how their construction could cause a problem for mFT users?

greyelm

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Malcolm
These lenses are designed to allow them to be collapsed into the body of the camera. With focal plain film cameras such as Leica rangefinders there is no risk of damage, however with the m4/3 cameras there is a risk of hitting the sensor and causing damage. The picture below shows a Leitz 5cm f3.5 Elmar collapsible lens fully extended mounted on a pre-war Leica and next to it is one collapsed showing how much it extends inwards.

collapsible.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

pdh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
In another thread on a similar subject, (https://www.mu-43.com/f43/leica-summicrondr-35mm-gf-1-a-5589/#post50598) this question is posed:
Narnian" said:
I am a little confused as to why a collapsible lens should be an issue - since the film plane in the Leica cameras should be the same distance as the sensor in the Micro 4/3 cameras from the lens mount. If the lens does not touch the film why should it touch the sensor?
Which is pretty much a thought I'd had - except Narnian has articulated it clearly!

angloasturian

Mu-43 Veteran
I have the Voigtlander Special Edition 50mm/ 3.5 Heliar, which is a copy of the Leitz Elmar. I found that even with the adaptor mounted there was a danger of the locking flanges at the inner end hitting the electronic contact points (they would never reach the sensor as the rectangular hole is too small) and possibly causing a short - circuit or worse. I put two circular rubber seals (square section - for plumbing) on the outer end and now the lens only retracts flush with the adaptor.

Augsburg57

New to Mu-43
Vintage lens

Thanks for this post. I just got a Leica 36mm screw mount to 43 adapter and had the very same worry. I just started to experiment with the set up - I have an Elmar 50mm/3.5 on my 1932 Leica II. The Elmar lens does work surprisingly well on my Olympus PEN E-P2, but you are totally manual.

cherrywood

Mu-43 Regular
Voigtlander 50 f3.5

I have the Voigtlander Special Edition 50mm/ 3.5 Heliar, which is a copy of the Leitz Elmar. I found that even with the adaptor mounted there was a danger of the locking flanges at the inner end hitting the electronic contact points (they would never reach the sensor as the rectangular hole is too small) and possibly causing a short - circuit or worse. I put two circular rubber seals (square section - for plumbing) on the outer end and now the lens only retracts flush with the adaptor.

Hello Colin, I also have been looking at that lens, How do you like it? What are its attributes and what motifs do you use it for? Any photos to post that you have made with it.
Thanks Dennis.

Latest threads

Top Bottom