collapsible lenses

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by kurtwist, Jan 31, 2012.

1. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    Can I safely collapse the 50mm Leitz Elmar and Summitar when they are mounted on the E-PL1?

2. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    I would collapse them when they're only on the adapter and not on the camera. If anything sticks out through the back of the adapter, probably not safe to collapse them on the camera.

3. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I'm pretty sure I remember someone here measuring and reporting that it would potentially cause damage to collapse the lens. I can't seem to find that thread.

4. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I use a 50/3.5 Elmar and 50/2 Schneider on my G2. I put thick rubber bands on them so they won't collapse all the way. I make sure they stop so the tube is about even with the back of the adapter. If it goes further it will hit the electrical contacts in the camera body.

I don't collapse them when they're off the camera because a rear cap won't go on.

Fred

5. nseika

nseika Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2010
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    Lois
    If the danger is from hitting the contacts, which is less fragile than sensors or shutter curtain...
    Is it possible for the user to try slowly collapsing the lens (with camera turned off) and see if it hit something inside ?
    Just to check if the lens can be collapsed or not.

6. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    I wouldn't do it just incase you touch the sensor and damage it. Just my 2p

7. kurtwist

kurtwist Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 6, 2011
    Southern Calif.
    Thanks, everyone. Some excellent advice.
    Kurt

8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    How could you touch the sensor? The adapter moves the lens just as far away from the imaging plane as it would be on a film camera. On my Leica III, you can collapse the lens while it's mounted. Therefore, if the adapter moves the lens the same distance, you won't hit the m4/3 sensor either. The issue comes from the potential to damage the contacts, and potentially the shutter if it's much farther forward than it is on the Leica.

9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    There's also the anti-aliasing filter and ir filter in front of the sensor. But none of that matters. The tube on the Elmar will not fit down the "tunnel" that goes to the sensor. It will hit the contacts and the ridge they stick out of long before reaching the shutter or sensor.

I put a rubber band that's about 3/8" wide on the tube just behind the front ring of the lens and have no problems.

Fred