1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Collapsable kit lens issues....

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Djarum, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    When I was hiking this past weekend I had an issue where my PEN just seemed to stop communicating to the lens. I mean, AF didn't work and the camera just became really sluggish. I tried pulling the battery out and re-seating the lens and neither worked. When I put on the 4-150 with the adapter, the camera worked just fine. This was really frustrating, because when I got back to the hotel room, without doing anything, the lens started to operate properly. Anyone else see this issue?

2. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    I had the same thing happen while at the Memphis zoo a month or so ago with my E-P1. AF went crazy with the 20mm and my kit wouldn't focus right either. I wound up putting on a legacy lens. When I got home, the camera worked fine with the 20 and kit lens.

3. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    Now THAT would be an interesting lens! :wink:

4. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    ugh..typo.

But yeah, this was a really wierd issue. I think its some sort of electrical problem with the lens. It seemed to fix itself for most of the trip after this issue.

5. ChristopheG

ChristopheG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    Please check it again and if not run than change its lenses.

6. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I thought I would bump this.

Last week I had the camera out on Christmas day in the snow. I posted some photos showing that we had snow down here in Dixie on Christmas day for the first time in 30 years.

At any rate, the collapsable lens started acting funny again. What I noticed was some water dropplets were on the middle barrel of the lens. This part of the lens while zooming moves in and out. My guess is that moisture causes issues with the IC controller in the lens. After about an hour inside, it worked just fine.

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Have you cleaned your contacts recently?
    I do this about every 2 weeks when I check my sensor. I just use a rubber eraser and rub the contacts. It gets the grease crap off and makes a clean contact....

I know all youse do this also, so maybe it's something else.... hmmmm

8. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Don

When this happened the first time cleaning the contacts didn't seem to help. I do this every so often and is a good idea.

9. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    This issue has become irritating. I am now in Florida, and the only lens that will focus is my 40-150 with adapter. The 17mm nor the collapsable kit will AF. Sometimes manually focusin works, sometimes not. The live view gets really flaky as well. I've tried reseating and batteries and the contacts. I have contacted Olympus via email and I am waiting for a response. Neither the camera nor the lenses have been dropped. The only thing I notice is that putting those two lenses on the camera is tighter than using the Olympus adapter. I was really wanting to use my PEN down here in florida, but I suppose not.