1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cokin Snap! Starter Kit?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by dragons4Mama, May 2, 2013.

1. dragons4Mama

dragons4Mama Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 31, 2012
    MetroWest MA
    Will B&H be carrying the Cokin Snap! Starter Kits? (looks like a rebranded / repackaged Cokin A)

Thanks

2. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello,

I do not see it listed in our data base currently, but when I do, I will post.

Chuck

3. dragons4Mama

dragons4Mama Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 31, 2012
    MetroWest MA
    Thanks.

The Snap! starter kit was very prominent on Cokin's website - which made me think it's a new thing. Catchy name, caught my eye, marketed to mirrorless / CSCs, and I like the combo of ND4 & Sunset filters.

Online search turned up stores in UK and Australia - didn't know if it will be coming to the US

I do realize that all the pieces can be found, individually, on B&H's site

4. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Anybody tried this kit yet to comment on the quality and user experience? I'm thinking about getting one for OMD. Also known as the Cokin A series, just to confuse things I've noticed. I wish they had a better kit that had some Grad ND's, polarizer, and included the filter ring adapters. I'm reluctant to go w/cheap chinese ebay versions or drop hundreds on Lee just yet. This seems like a middle ground. While I can do some of this in LR4, I can see the benefits of using filters too.

5. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello,

We have the Snap Starter kits available. If you are looking for more variety, you may want to consider the Cokin "P" size. You'll have a wider selection of filter types and quality as other manufacturers offer filters in the "P" size.

6. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    I get the impression P series might be too big on M43 cameras...topping out around 58mm and doing down to 37mm filter sizes.

7. Chuck-B&H

Chuck-B&H Sponsor

Apr 28, 2012
    Hello,

True but you will have a wider selection plus room to adjust the horizon line if using a grad. Food for thought.

8. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    For what it is worth, I have used a few grad ND's on my Cokin A, as well as a couple of polarizers (everything produced pre "Snap" rebranding). Getting great results, and have antecdotal evidence from another user it is good even on the Oly 9-18 at the wide end, with very little/no vignetting. Only issue I could see is if you use adapted lenses or Oly/Pana puts out something with a (comparatively) large filter ring. IIRC, Cokin A only goes up to 68mm. I have had good luck with ebay lots and other places where older used camera gear is sold, have not bought brand new yet.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have P system elements from a previous bigger lens camera, and find it a bit big for my current m4/3 kit - the ND grad is too gradual for the small front element, for example. If you were using the new Olympus pro lenses with bigger front elements the P series is probably more suitable, otherwise A would be a better fit generally speaking.

The other thing I've noticed is that Cokin NDs have some colour cast. Apparently Hitech filters are compatible (there are A and P compatible versions) but are better (no cast).

With the latest generation of improved dynamic range sensor I'm generally not bothering with fiddly ND grads on the Cokin system anymore - these days I just use screw on polarisers and NDs for convenience.

• Like Like x 1