Cokin p series

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Grillin74, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Grillin74

Grillin74 New to Mu-43

Oct 16, 2011
    Orlando
    I am looking at ND filters. Is it worth while to go with Cokin? How are the 3rd party accessories, for this series? I am also looking for any tips that I can get.

2. Pennington

Pennington Mu-43 Regular

I had the P-series with my Canon kit, but sold it all off when I switched to :43:. The lens adapters don't go down to small enough sizes for some of the :43: lenses. The filters themselves are pretty good, although some (like their polarizer) are rather expensive.

What I ended up doing was buying a set of filters sized for the biggest lens I thought I would have and then step up rings to adapt them down to the smaller lenses. Worked out to be both cheaper and simpler.

3. heedpantsnow

heedpantsnow Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 24, 2011
    I use step-up rings then the lens adapter for the Cokins. They look a little ridiculous on m4/3 though as the filters are bigger than most of the cameras!

There are also third-party filters made for the Cokin p-series via ebay. I've heard some of them are 80-95% of the quality of the real Cokins at a small fraction of the price.

4. Grillin74

Grillin74 New to Mu-43

Oct 16, 2011
    Orlando
    Amazon has a P-series holder with a 52mm adaptor ring. My Pany 14-45 and 45-200 both use that filter size. Would that work, or is that is a no go?

5. Gary_Berg

Gary_Berg Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2012
    I'd say that would work fine. Check min and max filter size for the P, but it should work. I'd only use this for graduated ND's, however. If you just want even blocking of the light I'd go with a screw-on filter. As suggested earlier, get one for your largest lens and then get step up rings.

I suggest screw on filters for solid ND because a Cokin holder gets pretty awkward.

I've also read suggestions to just hold an ND grad in place by hand, instead of using a holder.

Sometimes a good alternative to an ND grad is multiple exposures blended together, too.

6. trailguru

trailguru Mu-43 Regular

Nov 9, 2012
    Somerset, England
    A word of WARNING re Cokin NDs - which I've bought samples over the past 30 years - and that is they're not neutral. They impart a magenta cast which quickly stacks up to a strong cast with multiple filters (see https://www.dropbox.com/s/zm1t0dy4unppe0l/th_40864_2012.jpg). To an extent this can be sorted with post-processing white balance (see https://www.dropbox.com/s/svx9wo5a6bd3z43/th_40864_2012-WB.jpg).

If you want truly neutral ND filters then LEE are great, but much, much more expensive and their smallest size is 75mm wide (same as the defunct but excellent value Hoyarex). However they do a 37mm adapter ring.

If anyone knows of an 'A-size' brand that delivers a neutral ND I'd love to know.

7. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I wanted to ask for the Z pro cokin filters. I dont want to hijack this thread. but someone would tell me whats their experience in between the P and Z pro series?!?!?.

Im asking this cause both would have an adapter ring for my P12-35 (ΓΈ58) but ive read that the P series might have some serious vignetting on the 12mm (24mm) end? but ive read some saying the same for the Z pro?.

also is their any difference in build quality between those two?.

8. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Just a world of caution:

Make sure the lens you are putting them on are internal focusing or else these heavy adapters and filters can add a lot weight to the front of the lens and could cause strain and damage the focus motor unless you shoot manually.

• Like Like x 3
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I still have a set of Coin filters from my Canon kit, I haven't tried them yet but I plan to just hand hold them. They tend to be large and heavy.

10. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    I use singh rays with cokin P's to good effect. At wide angles with the 7-14 some vignetting I've noticed starts around 8mm. nothing too noticable or even hard to correct. The worst is if you place the holder wrong you'll get the holder in frame. I used an off branded model that worked fantasic, I beleive it was a Goja P series holder. If you have a larger framed camera, I would suggest using an cokin x pro or lee depending on your budget, as you can use the filters on m4/3 as well on your larger diameter front elements.