1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cokin A or P series (or just hold by hand)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by turtleboy133, Oct 29, 2011.

1. turtleboy133

turtleboy133 Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2011
    Several posts on this forum have mentioned the Cokin P series line, especially for GNDs (the main reason I'm planning to purchase a Cokin filter). However, I was looking up the specs and it appears the Cokin A series is the appropriate size given the format of the micro 4/3 system. According to the Cokin website, the A series is "recommended for lenses between 36 and 62mm in diameter with a focal length over 35mm". Now, I do have a 14-150mm lens (58mm filter thread) and am considering picking up the 9-18mm (52mm filter thread).

Would the A series produce vignetting or other issues with these lenses? Or, if all I care about are the "sunset" and GND filters, should I just buy those and hold them over the lens for the exposure? I assume "filter shake" isn't as much of an issue as camera shake? :biggrin:

2. hand holding

Recycled the P series GND Cokin & SingRay filter. Filters used in the 35mm film days. None of the filter holder adapter rings fit on the mu43 lens. Shooting with the tripod when using the filters. Hand holding has been working out ok.

3. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    I also have the P series from my DSLR kit in 77mm size. If one could find the appropriate step-up rings, I would think it can be adapted to mount to a m43 lens. As to hand-holding a graduated density filter, I wouldn't do it without mounting the camera on a tripod. With a neutral density or polarizer, hand-holding can be manageable.

4. turtleboy133

Oct 13, 2011
    The impression I get is that most people on this forum just happen to have the P series from their SLR kit which is why it's mentioned so much. Since I don't already have a "kit", I'm trying to figure out whether it makes more sense to get an A or P series. My key concern here is the possibility of vignetting on the wide end with an A series. I really only intend this in conjunction with a GND for landscape photography. The other filters might be fun to play with but are not a priority.

5. turtleboy133

Oct 13, 2011
  6. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Fwiw, I've got the Cokin P and it works with M43. I've got a step-up ring 46-49 to use with the Panny 14 and 20. I get vignetting with the 14 and the wide end of 14-140 when using 2 hoods. Otherwise no problem.

don't blame me, my iPhone sent this

7. turtleboy133

Oct 13, 2011
    Well, after a bit more research, it seems that if I ever want to use 3rd party filters (e.g. Tiffen and HiTech), they only make their square filters in the P-size. Hmmm. Tough decision :/