1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Coincidence?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by JamieW, Jan 5, 2014.

1. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I'm not drawing any conclusions here, but I couldn't help but notice a few similarities...

Photo by Joey L, professional commercial photographer.
    [​IMG]

Photo Gavin Gough, on this cover of his recent e-book "The Photographer's Workflow"
    cover.

I wonder if these guys are friends. :)

• Like Like x 6
  2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Ahh, the sincerest form of flattery. :rolleyes:

3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Although the ebook guy (if indeed he did this after the first guy) improved on it imo.

Sent from my iPhone

4. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't agree. I think the first picture has more character and even mystery to it. The second looks too posed and commercial, although it has been processed a bit better.

• Like Like x 2
  5. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    Maybe Joey and Gavin are one and the same?

6. It's possible that more than one photographer has been to Varanasi. And taken a ride in a boat on the Ganges.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I like the first image more as a standalone, but the second is much better for its intended use as a book cover - the typography fits that one better.

8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    IMHO, the tan rag in the foreground of the top photo detracts from an otherwise perfect composition

9. Everhandy

Everhandy Guest

Practically speaking, all photographs are kinda sorta copies of previous work. Subjects may change but, technique rarely does.
    We all copy the works of others, our predecessors.

10. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    I think ya'll are missin' it.

It's the same guy in different boats, just showing the effects that exercise can have on a Senior Citizen once we really get into it....

Top shot was what he looked like at the start of the exercise regimen, bottom shot is after three weeks of strenuous rowing...

:biggrin:

[g,d, &r]

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 6
  11. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    I'm not going to conclude that one of them copied from the other. This could be a designated route for a paid boat ride. I just thought the similarities were striking. Notice the buildings on the left. It's shot in almost the exact same spot. Notice what looks like a parking deck on the left, and the brick wall next to it that looks like steps. Same kind of boat. Even framed similarly, the top one was just cropped more. Both rowers are looking the same direction, holding the paddles the same way, etc.

If I had to guess, I'd say Gavin stood up in the boat to be able to frame the other boats in the water in such a way that they could be removed in post processing easier. I like the contrast between the editing and shooting techniques of the same subject matter by two different photographers.

12. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    I see two possibilites. One is that one of the photographers saw the other's photo, decided he liked the composition, and decided to shoot a very similar picture, with his own idea of what was important (either one could be first, unless you have EXIF or copyright data). The other is that it does just happen to line up that way. Maybe there is something to the right of the photo that causes rowers to look there, or perhaps there is an obstruction over the river that the photo has to be taken after just clearing it, etc.

I agree that it is interesting to see two different takes on the same idea. Personally, I like the second one. Both the less busy water and a bit more DoF help me think I was in the boat as well. The first one has a very foggy look to me.

13. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I have to agree with you, the top photo is much better to my eye

14. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    Put the first guy in the second pic and it's almost perfect. :thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    the photo's are subtly different in meaningful ways. The perspective of the man in the boat, in the second is far more humbling to his surroundings, while the old man stands central, and imposing. Different color schemes, bringing different moods, (both of which fit their respective image). The second is cleaner around the edges. Brown bag, and oars I'm looking at you as distractions in the 1st shot. I prefer the 2nd more humble and clean shot, but the old man is quite striking.

16. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    yeah
    i like the processing, but everything else about the other is better to me

17. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    have we ever seen these photographers at the same place at the same time?! does one of them wear glasses? lol

18. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
  19. JamieW

JamieW Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  20. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    hehehe, great find JamieW! It starts to look like this is a normal tourist attraction, in which case I would not be surprised to see more similar pics. Personally, I prefer the first one, all elements (shore, boat, other boats and oarsman are more in tune. The second one looks a bit artificial, both in elements and processing. The third one is just a bit more 'casual snapshot like; harsher colours, the missing horizon in the centre and the mood of it all.