Coffee questions

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
It seems a stupid question to ask since I've searched and could find no one else asking it, how is it possible that coffee pods that hold only 5-8 grams of powder can make a cup of 120-200ml and not taste weak?

I make my coffee with 3 to 50 ratio, usually with 12 grams of beans and 200ml water, either with espresso or french press, I'd adjust the fineness of the grinder accordingly and it taste about right; but at the same time an 8g Docle Gusto (pls don't judge) pod makes a 200ml cup as suggested and doesn't taste weak either, can anyone tell me the science behind that?

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks very much.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
It won't be the coffee. My (uneducated) guess is it probably comes down to the amount of precision control they have over the product.

When they're freeze drying and packing the coffee into air tight pods, there's very little exposure to the elements. And if they're controlling the manufacturer of the coffee and design (and manufacture) of the machine there's no room for human error or variance when it comes to roast, grind, tamp and brewing. Only real variance they have no control over is quality of water in different parts of the world.

Last edited:

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
Those are some interesting ratios BTW. I typically run 12 grams of coffee for 24 gram yield with espresso and 15 gram of coffee to 250 gram of water for my Chemex. Obviously what I'm brewing depends on what coffee I can get my hands on.

Mikehit

Mu-43 Veteran
Strength and flavour of the brew is dependent on the contact time of the water on the coffee grounds - and in my (rather amateurish) playing around with espresso machines this is affected by the beans, the roasting, how finely the beans are ground, how compacted they are in the basket, the machine pressure pushing the water through and water temperature. The pods + the intended machine controls all of these far better than most people can with a coffee grinder and a manual espresso machine, thought I have no idea of your experience or you ability to standardise all these variable.

If you think about it 7-8g of instant coffee is about 1 and a half teaspoons and that is plenty enough for a mug (250-300ml) so, to be cynical, I sometimes wonder what other flavourings do they put in the capsule to give it a boost?
Have you tried 8-10 g in your own machine?

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
Get a re-usable dolce gusto pod and try it with your coffee. You'll then discover whether it is the machine or the coffee
I didn’t know they were available!
They are available, but since I've already had espresso machine and french press, doesn't make a lot of sense for using a refillable cup, from where I am the good quality refillable cup sells for the price of 5 boxes of pods!

Those are some interesting ratios BTW. I typically run 12 grams of coffee for 24 gram yield with espresso and 15 gram of coffee to 250 gram of water for my Chemex. Obviously what I'm brewing depends on what coffee I can get my hands on.
I think you're right Angus, the pods are specially made, probably the 3 to 50 ratio only works for DIY and then it still depends on how you brew.

Strength and flavour of the brew is dependent on the contact time of the water on the coffee grounds - and in my (rather amateurish) playing around with espresso machines this is affected by the beans, the roasting, how finely the beans are ground, how compacted they are in the basket, the machine pressure pushing the water through and water temperature. The pods + the intended machine controls all of these far better than most people can with a coffee grinder and a manual espresso machine, thought I have no idea of your experience or you ability to standardise all these variable.

If you think about it 7-8g of instant coffee is about 1 and a half teaspoons and that is plenty enough for a mug (250-300ml) so, to be cynical, I sometimes wonder what other flavourings do they put in the capsule to give it a boost?
Have you tried 8-10 g in your own machine?
I experimented with different ratios, and usually +-10% won't result in much noticeable change in taste, +-20% will taste very differently though. I've never measured instant coffee but I have recently tried some really cheap powder and it smells like somebody added something to it, the Dolce Gusto pods OTOH, do taste really good and genuine considering the low price.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
I think you're right Angus, the pods are specially made, probably the 3 to 50 ratio only works for DIY and then it still depends on how you brew.
Think about it. They control every part of the process from roasting to grinding to dosage to storing, and then they also design the specifications of the machine so control the temperature, pressure and amount of water.

Even on a good day there's a lot of variance when I'm grinding and tamping by hand.

I have a pretty big passion for coffee and used to write about coffee for a couple of local, online food blogs. Pod machines just aren't for me. But I can see why others like them, minimal fuss and no cleanup afterwards.

jyc860923

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
贾一川
Think about it. They control every part of the process from roasting to grinding to dosage to storing, and then they also design the specifications of the machine so control the temperature, pressure and amount of water.

Even on a good day there's a lot of variance when I'm grinding and tamping by hand.

I have a pretty big passion for coffee and used to write about coffee for a couple of local, online food blogs. Pod machines just aren't for me. But I can see why others like them, minimal fuss and no cleanup afterwards.
It'd be nice to read those, I've been trying to find out about Australian coffee for some time, there are not many ways to buy Australian coffee, unlike with American products. I heard it's different, but don't understand how.

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
It'd be nice to read those, I've been trying to find out about Australian coffee for some time, there are not many ways to buy Australian coffee, unlike with American products. I heard it's different, but don't understand how.
Thanks :) Some of these are a bit old but truth be told we import most of our coffee.

Really most places do espresso based coffees, specialty coffee stores will do filter brews.

http://www.mycitylife.com.au/author?name=Angus Gibbins

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom